1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

It's going to suck when KAG goes mainstream...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fellere825, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

I'm all up for the success of KAG and for it going mainstream but... once it does that I'm scared the community is going to suffer just as many other games have suffered before it. Once too many people begin to play you lose a sense of who is who and who is good.

Well anyways post your fears about KAG going mainstream. Are you looking forward to it? or are you freaked out?

FuzzyBlueBaron and Birdman159 like this.
  2. SpitfireXero

SpitfireXero KAG Guard Tester

Once it goes mainstream Guards will be pointless; we would revert back to server owners handling things from time to time but a good automatic anti-cheat system would need to be in place. I say Guards would be pointless because it would be a bit overwhelming to handle all those people, especially when most of us are young and going through school. It's volunteer work, and with little incentive to try to manage that many servers and people, a lot of us will lose interest.

Warlord6 and Fellere825 like this.
  3. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

I iffy if it goes mainstream better development but the trolls will come.Its good for devs bad for forums.And the game itself well the current good players are gonna have ridiculous K/D s until new players learn and still wont be able to get as good because the servers will always be huge and packed to were skill doesnt matter only numbers and all people get annihilated before they can learn.I think.

4. Im looking forward to the release of the full version and all its features, but seriously, its best that it doesn't go mainstream, because it will suffer like games such as Minecraft, Terraria and other games that are similiar, which have fallen to hackers, griefers and trolls, and these games has lost their original intention to mods, texture packs and maps, defeating the purpose of survival (Minecraft and Terraria) or objectives (Soldat, RotMG). Kag hasn't fallen into that trap yet, its a small community who enjoys the game for what the game was intended for and there is few hackers, griefers, trolls and the like and the gamer is not dominated by mods or other things that variate the game. This is a game that has potential to be a great game, but when it goes mainstream, its going to be like all the others.

illu likes this.
  5. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I don't think anything bad will happen. I think we'll have a lot of stupid noobs and whatever but the oldfags will just go play clan matches or something and it will all be ok.

6. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

You wont find most good players on public servers when KAG goes mainstream. Just because it will be boring to play there then.
    The community will get some trolls, and the community might suffer as in you don't feel a part of it any more. But the community will just split and go to different places. Big communities don't fit in a forum, it will get too much to read.

Geti and MM will have to pay some time to a policy if you're planning to (temporarily) ban people for griefing or whatever. Since I dont think you can just take something away they someone bought.

I'd love to see far more players. Way too many servers are empty. I would love to see some more 50 slot servers. (but then with way less free resources/arrows than incarnum's)

I mean, soldat (where many of the kag players come from) is played 3v3 in a clanwar. But playing KAG 3v3 will be utterly boring, I think it will be something like 6v6 in clanwars.
    And you will need far more players to get an active clanscene with 6v6 clanwars.
    Talking about clanwars, do you even have any specific settings you use?

7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Downburst we've got ToS on the way now, so hopefully that's covered.

We've already had trolls without going mainstream, and we still have some trolls.

50 slot servers are expensive to host fwiw, incarnums at 4TB off data last month :P Even as the number of people go up, until we can optimise the netcode by separating the world into smaller maps a little I doubt you'll see too many of them.

If it goes mainstream I doubt the ratio of dippy public players will change, there'll just be more people. Seems to be tending that way now either way.

Also, I'm sure the community will find ways to keep in touch with the people they care about. IRC at the moment is a small cluster of vets, I imagine any new people who were similarly committed would find their way into the conversation.

One thing that I'm kind of on-edge about is the pressure to add content modding ability. I'm kind of against this for KAG, as it'll lead to a lot of content pollution. As it is gamemodes are actually very very variable, as are the worlds themselves (and heading towards more dynamic as we speak). I'm fairly anxious about people joining a server that's full of nazis having buttsex on a giant penis covered in racial slurs and that being associated with KAG, and there's no way we're going to get a content approval system happening, it's just way out of scope. Hopefully there's not too much pressure there though.

We'll take it as it comes I guess.

8. Fellere825

All of this is far away into the future... but still the nostalgia machine is beginning to kick in already lol

9. Downburst

I've seen quite some swastika's and dicks, but it's usually easier to remove them than to make them. And anyone offended to something like probably has it's eye closed in real life as well.
    But you're talking about mods, mods are used base and not server based right?

I do think the player count will raise a lot by the way. I mean, there aren't any servers with players to play on like 8 hours a day for me.. (or I will just get lagged out)
    And ye, servers seem to be eating quite much bandwidth at the moment. But I don't think servers are that expensive at all. I mean, 20 euro a month for a 50 slot server is not that much at all.

10. It may be cheap over in Europe, but its several hundred dollars for the same amount in Australia, thats why its hard to keep Aussie servers up, becuase bandwidth is expensive in Australia.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  11. Fellere825

Antarctica is where it's at. Attach little antennas onto a bunch of penguins and you have a series of relays that will make everything awesome and super fast.

[​IMG]
    Les do this...

Tyngn, FuzzyBlueBaron, sj67 and 3 others like this.
  12. Downburst

great idea..

Fellere825 likes this.
  13. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

14. Foxodi

Foxodi KAG Guard Tester

'when KAG goes mainstream'. Lol when is this exactly? It's already been advertised at all the main locations it will be advertised at, and its reached a population similar to soldat?

15. unwoundpath

unwoundpath Arsonist

My fear is that the forums will overload.

16. knightl

knightl Base Burner

i like the close-knit (spelling?) community we have here where we mainly know each other by name and all know each others skills and the sort but i can adapt if need be....

17. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

I'm all for KAG going ''mainstream'' - as a game, not with its features.
    Players change games though, if the same thing that happened with AoS happened here, I will cry out loud.

18. massivebacon

massivebacon Shopkeep Stealer

I'm with Geti in that I doubt the ratio of trolls will change once the game goes "mainstream". The amount of greifers seems to be a bit less than when the game first started, but there are still those few players who will always just want to watch the world burn.

As for KAG actually "going" mainstream, I think with it's currently functionality, I think it could go mainstream right now. It's clearly a compelling concept that is very fun to play (not to mention that the whole game has pretty much changed from back when it was first featured on those sites), it just needs some more press again from people like rock, paper, shotgun and pcgamer as well as maybe some wider exposure through things like reddit and kotaku.

Mod Support: Look at Minecraft's forums/mod community. It's now full of people who think they can do better things than the developer, for better or worse.

19. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Two words.

Premium Servers.

They cut down on griefing and trouble a lot. Its just hard to keep them full at the minute.

FuzzyBlueBaron and Nixito like this.
  20. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I dunno man I went on "Premium Week" when it was still up and there were griefers and people building like 10 doors in a row. One line that will haunt me forever: "how to throw bomb?" On a premium server.

Anyways I think Geti's right the ratio of good players : bad players : griefers probably won't change.

Vidal likes this.