1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog January Round-Up; Internal Situation for 2017

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

All the scripts are in the Base folder in your KAG folder, why would you need them on GitHub? Doubt it would make a difference

2. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

Exactly! Revision control for open source is pointless. Who'd use that?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  3. Eluded

Eluded Haxor Official Server Admin

Oh I see. In that case yeah I agree 100%

PUNK123 and Fuzzle like this.
  4. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

I had misunderstood you, you're right it might be nice

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    PUNK123 and Fuzzle like this.
  5. FoxyLady

FoxyLady Haxor Staff Alumni

It just dawned on me that this idea hasn't been used much on servers. Maybe it can be added to the modded servers....
    gpvtk80.png

6. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

I had a idea of setting up a small database and possibly get some help to make that a mod.

Plus it gives me something to do..

FoxyLady likes this.
  7. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

If so could you try and add stats like current killstreak, highest killstreak, player you killed most, etc?

8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

That was indeed the intent for the player cards thing but the development of some sort of API behind it never went anywhere so they remained turned off. I've got a feeling having the avatar ingame along with even just registration time could help with a sense of identity.

WRT Cosmetics being a dead-end or bad allocation of resources - I'm not sure. The work from me would be just sitting down and coming up with some cool heads in the same theme. The work from MM would be hooking up steam APIs to some sort of "permission" system in-game for using those heads. There'd be no maintenance cost as far as I can see, at least nothing beyond what the game already takes.

It'd imo be a good way to address the calls from folks asking for some way to continue support, and to reward them for their continued support. It's the shortest-term, best reward case.

---------------------

WRT an open github mirror - this would be do-able, though we'd have to mess about with more subrepos to have a mirror for base/ (the only part we'd be interested in open-sourcing). I'll stick it on the list as something to consider, but I'm not sure how much use it'd get. We're using git internally as of a few months ago though, so it theoretically wouldn't cause that much hassle.

---------------------

WRT THD's financial future - It's kind of hard to draw any meaningful patterns over the course of THD's games beyond bad marketing.

Reason for that is that the only constant between most of the games is MM, the dev teams are totally different for each game and MM himself did very little on the gamedev of butcher (he just produced it), so even there the pattern breaks down a bit. Because the teams are so different game-to-game, the only money that "carries over" between projects is MM's as well. TR is the (unfortunate) anomaly there, where we both chipped in the costs and work of developing it (and lost out).

I'm not sure what MM will decide to do long-term, all I can say is we'll maintain KAG as long as there's a community, just as the Soldat team has with Soldat.

As a sidenote though, as I mentioned in the OP:
    I'm working on something solo separately, as well as doing contract work, and you should definitely follow me on twitter to learn more ;)

9. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

Glad to hear that you've manned up (started using Git). Historically, the community has committed a lot to the scripts.

10. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Honestly, I miss mercurial, but apparently this was less hassle on the hosting side. Workflow is pretty similar but particularly when using gui tools (visual diffs are handy and MM is a terminal-phobe) we keep ending up with things like detached heads in subrepos for unknown reasons.

They have indeed committed a lot to the scripts, but it's mostly come from a pretty small slice of the community and in a pretty ad-hoc way. I feel like the thing you guys would get the most out of a github mirror for the scripts is being able to look up an older revision - but that history would only go back to whenever we start the github mirror.

Either way, I'll think about it. I can see some benefits, as long as the pushes to it are automated by our backend (so I don't have to maintain multiple remotes)

Fuzzle and Eluded like this.
  11. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

History wouldn't be as much of a benefit as pull requests and merges. Say, if I've changed a script and a new update is published - I would have to incorporate the new change in my script before submitting it to you (otherwise it'd be lost). As it is currently, there's little to no documentation on what has been changed. I would have to manually detect the change to incorporate it. I'm not sure if you remember (not sure if I even told you), but I've been working on rewriting a lot of the scripts. I never sent these to you - I was not confident that I hadn't screwed up this tedious manual process, and as time passed this would only worsen. As I look back, I should've created a private Git mirror to keep track. That aside, I believe pull requests would be an ideal way for community members to commit well-documented changes. It'd be far better than a text message saying: "I made this. It works - trust me" and an attached zip-file. Also, I believe that there's a motivational factor (for community developers) in the fact that contributions will be publicly visible - as a form of credit to the author.

Eluded likes this.
  12. Geti

Oh I totally agree with those benefits for developers - particularly ones with a big pile of changes to submit (ideally as separate pull requests) - just most members of the community are not developers, and won't get much out of that.

Being able to see changes being made across the source (which files changed, how often) might also be beneficial to lay players as well.

Also, I can definitely sympathise with the tedium of manual change tracking after dealing with the modded server stuff today, across multiple machines.

13. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

From my half-aware-of-the-situation point of view, in the short term it would mean Fuzzle fixing things or updating the "betterment" work he did back in the day, which perhaps in this moment is simply something good for KAG.

14. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

re: "let me know what you think of me doing round-up posts like this"--
    I'd say it's had a pretty good response. I've certainly enjoyed reading through a thread where the general attitude and quality of posts was on the upbeat, and I have to think that a large part iv that is due to the OP giving us/making us feel like we're on the inside track. It's so much easier to act like you're a valued member of the community when you're made to feel that way.

Just my two cents worth, seeing as no one else had said anything. :X3:

Geti, mcrifel and epsilon like this.
  15. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

This is why most of us have stuck with KAG. It's a small, tight community with devs who interact with us and give us a say in the future of the game.

Keep up the good work Geti and the others at THD :heart:

FuzzyBlueBaron and Geti like this.
  16. Geti

:thumbs_up:will try to at least get one out monthly then.

17. Eluded

Eluded Haxor Official Server Admin

@Geti some feedback from people on the new TDM maps:
    Most are fine and it's really nice just to have some extra variety. Dichotomy idea of 2 maps in one is cool.

PressureCooker:
    A problem is that after the map floods people can camp on the doors and be pretty much unkillable. Or they can camp at the tent and keep changing class so they avoid drowning. Camping at the tent can't be dealt with easily, but if the outer set of doors were wooden instead of stone then door camping would be less of a problem.
    Also, if a couple (or three) blocks were added in the middle of the central-lower chamber it would make the combat there a bit more interesting. There's nothing really to work with at the minute since it's just open space.

RoyalTomb:
    The mechanisms are still not working properly (people get locked inside the middle bit).

kodysch_Upshoot:
    Why not just remove the trampolines at the bottom of the map? They're more annoying than fun. Or maybe just remove the bouncing one - since the one on the ground is enough to propel you through the platforms anyway.

18. Geti

Yay thanks for some proper feedback!

Thanks, thats why I did it. I'd like to get a bigger cohort of interesting maps for all the modes, but TDM is the one that suffers most from stale maps.

Wooden doors actually get marked invincible when loaded from the map. I could maybe just use "U bends" to keep the water out? I was thinking of making the blocker platform things into timed traps but it's a lot of hassle tbh. I'll see what I can do, thanks for testing it with "abusive player" mindset ;)

Er, is this from them blowing bits up with bombs? Or something else going wrong? Just running in before it's closed or something?

I feel like the author's intentions was always to have the option to jump up high on the middle and I didn't want to just turn it into a totally different map. I'm not a fan of it either way and would consider removing it from rotation if we had more maps (so it wasn't decreasing diversity).