1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog KAG KAG Build 1712 – Hotfix(es) and Accumulated Changes

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Firstly, please keep in mind that this build was necessitated by a server-crashing bug on Christmas Eve.
    We didn't have time to fish out all the changes and make a fresh patch from the current state of the game, which is why there are changes in there that we'd rather have had more time to iterate on.

The money in particular is something that will of course need balancing, but it's better than a payout of 1.5 mines for killing someone with a mine. I honestly dont mind seeing fewer items spammed out and fewer rich players, but I dont doubt that the community will clamour until we're back to spamming bombs with abandon.

Mines are in a similar boat - the overzealous nerfs were made specifically because another set of people were crying. I personally dont think that mines should be "viable for use in active combat" at all, they should be something you set up ahead of time to get an advantage or lay out as passive defense in an area you're leaving - but I do think that the current deploy time is too long.

Re: arrow colliding - honestly at this point a poll would probably be simplest. I think most of the arguments of " reduced skill" are complete bullshit and I prefer the increased performance from not having to collide so many objects together, but its the kind of micro-balancing thing that probably majority opinion should settle, there's nothing big to it either way and having something to point to and say "you had your chance to speak up here" is a satisfying enough response to pleb tears.

Re: all the issues with different resolutions - this will be my priority to fix come Monday. I'm afraid Christmas has taken too much out of me to go exploring the depths of the rendering code to find out exactly what change made for TR crossed over to KAG and broke everything, but I'll make sure that I get to the bottom of it as soon as I can. Noone likes their rendering being screwed up.

2. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

When you want to be like your master Fuzzl' and want to spam mines from a tower but Gatu ruins your dreams and u want to hopelessly find a good exploit using some shitty trampolines

--- Double Post Merged, Dec 26, 2015, Original Post Date: Dec 26, 2015 ---
    And Geti, how do i swap back the coin management back for my mod? there's no full changelog for this update :rektlord:

@down:
    K, Thx for telling me ::)::wink:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Just in case you somehow missed it:
    Swapping back the coin management should be as simple as opening CTF_Trading.as (or whatever, I assume it was changed in other modes to some extent too but maybe not) and removing the line that clamps the damage to the health of the blob. For the copy of CTF_Trading.as I've got on this machine, that's line 136.

bunnie likes this.
  4. Loominati

Loominati Shipwright

It's Monday... Waiting on this priority fix of yours Geti. Anyway the mine deploy time is way to long, so I just messed around on a sandbox server with tanks and got them working on my singleplayer sandbox. (Eat that shitty internet!) So yay fun tanks to mess with.

5. Geti

I've spent today fixing the "main" rendering issue - however, some of the bug reports around it have uncovered a much harder-to-fix issue with fullscreen and high dpi displays.
    There's a workaround involving basically telling windows "please dont mess with the game" via the exe properties, but doing it on our side would of course be better. After a long day of looking through microsoft's documentation, their preferred way to handle it is rather incompatible with our build system. We need some time to figure out the best way to proceed there.

However, I'll push the fixed display code to release after I've eaten some dinner in case anything goes wrong and I need to be around. The display now correctly determines the nearest applicable size in fullscreen and sets that mode. I still suggest using windowed mode if at all possible. ( Before anyone mentions - If irrlicht supported software fullscreen I would be using it. )

PUNK123, Asu, Lautre and 1 other person like this.
  6. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

so there are no official US servers and 0 players online after updating. Can anyone confirm this?

7. Lautre

Lautre Builder Stabber

thanks lastest update fixed my problem with resolution

8. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

oh yes looks like the game was patched. it is now build 1714

9. JayP9

JayP9 HSJJRF Staff Alumni Donator

Good work on the update guys once again guys !!!
    Just a quick question how long were the mines deployment time increased by? 0.5 seconds ?

10. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

from what i see about 3x
    @edit: it's 4,5 second now

11. Teodor1

Teodor1 Catapult Fodder

The new update did not fix my problem so... maybe I wait for next update ??? :c

12. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

13. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

You could look at the change log or the code, it was increased by 0.5 seconds from 2.5 seconds to 3.

SirDangalang likes this.
  14. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

changelog? where?
    code say const u8 PRIMING_TIME = 90;
    i assume 90 is ticks
    1 tick = 0,05 seconds
    90 * 0,05 = 4,5

@down: ok sry i must have mistaken it with minecraft lel

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  15. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Nein, KAG is 30 tps not 20

16. JiffIez

JiffIez Arsonist

I've played for a while on this set of updates to really get a feel for them. So, here goes...

My two cents:

The Coin Payout Update:
    I'm really mixed about this though still somewhat against it (or at least at how severe it has been). While lowering the coin value to not grant overkill bonus coins has definitely reduced the spamming of bombs/other items and nerfed the hell out of some mega players, it has also had some noticeable side effects on the general game.
    1. Newbie archers/knights have almost no coins now (not that they ever had much to begin with but still it wasn't that bad before as far as I can tell).
    2. Builders are OP as hell now as far as gathering coins goes. [ex: It took me 11 kills with no deaths as knight to reach roughly 178 coins. That took me quite a while and if I had died, I would have lost 30% of my coins. In contrast, I can go builder and use my mystical wood farm to get 500+ wood and spam wooden platforms for 4 coins a pop during battle times. Takes me roughly 20-30 seconds. I now have 120-ish coins. Ta-Da.] So why would I go fight and risk 30% of my coins as a knight if I was trying to buy something big? I wouldn't. I would go builder and get me some quick cash while avoiding most of the risks.
    3. The balance of power has really shifted greatly in favor to builders who can build properly. The money you get from building is ridiculous in comparison to everything else now and if you can do it well, you basically get hundreds of coins in a very short amount of time. And if the builder is smart on top of it, God help you. It will rain bomb bolts and kegs from the sky and you will have almost no way to fight back. I'm not saying it's impossible to win, but it certainly has set the bar a lot higher.
    Tl;dr - Needs more balancing. :thumbs_down:

The Mine Deploy Time Update:
    I feel like this was overshot by a lot. Before the mines were basically insta-deploy, now they deploy in a whopping 3-4 seconds. I just feel it's a bit much. Maybe 2-2.5 seconds would be more reasonable but I have no clue. Also, archers rape mines. Literally rape them. With arrows. Unless I have my mine underground or inside my building (which will cause damage) there really is little to no point in having mines out in "strategic" locations if a decent archer is playing on the other team. The archer is just going to shoot them away. ______:spam: :mine: _________:dance: :rektlord:________
    While I do like the current direction mines are heading towards, I feel they still need a bit more polishing. :thumbs_up:

The Arrow Collision Update:
    ....Meh. JiffIez thrives in chaos. [JiffIez_Stamp_of_Approval.jpg]. In all seriousness though, it did raise the dodging skill cap on archer vs. archer combat and made large scale battles slightly more chaotic, but I think that's about it. I'm really not sure why some people are going nuts about this one. :huh?: ???
    Good overall. :thumbs_up:

If there was anything else that was majorly overhauled, I haven't really noticed it. See you in game.

17. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

It seems to me that coin flow was generally very acceptable pre-patch, and thus if people are now earning less coins (through somewhat indirect means) then the simple fix would be to increase the amount of coins earned per kill/heart, while keeping the removal of "overkill" earning (most would also agree that this was kinda bad too). It was a small oversight and one that will hopefully be quickly resolved.

Additionally I respect the direction that mines are going in. People are upset because they're no longer very useful in combat. That's kinda the point though. The dev's want them to fulfill a different niche, one not in combat, as Geti said...
    Stop complaining that something is bad or under powered when you're trying to use it in a way that it is not intended to be used. A screwdriver would be an incredibly bad tool if I was trying to hammer in a nail.

The only change that matters to me. :heart:_:heart:

18. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

I never complained that mines were bad, I complained that they weren't fun.

mehwaffle10 likes this.
  19. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

I should say that the mine nerfing it's ok , but i disagree. Althrough i think that the shielding thing was a necessary implement (because the community asked for it), in the other hand the very long time the mine to deploy is ridiculous long.
    Please, reconsider that, because while it was cheap to kill a bunch of ppl with just one mine (youve already fixed it enabling the shielding+distance!) the momentum to grab an enemy mine was just the adequate one! even with lag you could manage to grab one in the air.
    So... why making the mines so obnoxious to use now? You practically can't drop a mine in open field when enemies are in short/med range.
    I hope it's not just me :(

Btw: please, dont tell me that now it has "strategical" use, since you have to drop it a time before in a point without enemies to work, because that theory crumbles down with the fact that mine-stealers noobs exists. And thereare a LOT of them. -Edit
    Also, i must add @JiffIez opinion:
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 29, 2015, Original Post Date: Dec 29, 2015 ---
    I didnt read the comments when i wrote my post, so what ive said is quite redundant, but ive pointed a counter-argument above. Also, mines are quite one of the most balanced (between clases) weapons to use imo. Everyone can buy em; deploy em; breaking them (shielding in the case of knight)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    Blue_Tiger likes this.
  20. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

When exactly was this?