1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG Community Website

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shadlington, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

That could do it :)
    Yeah, I definitely want a place for clans/groups to proclaim themselves. Probably with private forums for clans and suchlike.

And I want your KoM designs on here for sure :D

2. Swaggernuts

Swaggernuts Guest

Well my group is a Tag, Like you could be apart of a clan, and still join the Kingdom of Masons.

3. darDar

darDar KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester

Shadlington , btw. if you need a domain let me know.

4. Shadlington

For the two main types of content - construction designs and videos - I've got some categories setup that I'd like to run by you folks.
    Construction designs:
    - Complexity: Basic, Moderate, Complex, Epic
    - Construction Type: Castle, Frontline outpost, Just for fun, Trap
    e.g. You could search for Moderately complex Castle designs.

Videos:
    - Class: Archer, Builder, Knight ---> For if a video is about a particular class (this category can be left blank)
    - Video Type: PVP, Tutorial, Other
    e.g. You could search for Tutorials for Builders.

I feel like there should be more there but I'm not sure what.
    Maybe a construction type for something that is just a component to be reused in other designs?
    The video type list is very short :(

Maps and sprite packs will also be available but I'm not sure how to categorise them at all.
    Maps could probably be done on size (small/med/large) but I'm not sure what else.
    Sprite packs could be split by skins (and broken down into classes?) and texturepacks. Anything else?

Is there any other content types that would be worth including? General non-structure screenshots?
    What about server config files? Is there much demand for pre-built rule setups and that sort of thing?

5. Shadlington

Welllllll... Its up. It works, more-or-less.

Needs lots more polish and I have a ton of things to add... But its available. Please start adding constructions and videos :D

Also, I know I don't have a proper homepage yet - its just displaying recently submitted content.
    Of which there is only test content (If you see something you made in one of the test ones, please re-submit it properly, I'll be deleting the test stuff later).

Also, I'd really like it if someone would help me out and make some banner images.

http://kagcommunity.com

6. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

I've been testing it and so far I like it. :)

7. poe

poe Shopkeep Stealer

I like it :)
    Next time I'm messing around with the site, I'll add a link to it!

8. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Oh, come on people. Give Shadlington some feedback. It's really not that hard.

9. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

The videos section is the shining light. I love it.

10. Swaggernuts

Swaggernuts Guest

Give me some time, I can make some cool banners.

11. Shadlington

I appreciate that Swaggernuts :D

Right, I've updated the original post to indicate the state of things now.

I'm on holiday from Monday till Friday so the site will likely not update much between then.
    I will log on to check most days in case anything pressing comes up though.

12. Shadlington

Still noone has created an account or submitted any content...

Just to be clear you have to login/create an account in order to submit constructions/videos.
    Perhaps I need to make that more clear?

13. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

It should be LOGIN / REGISTER, not LOGIN/REGISTER

14. J4son

J4son Guest

Your captcha isn't loading thanks to "invalid referrer" so I can't make an acccount. good luck though.

15. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Guest

I've got the same problem with the captcha when I attempt to register.

Thrilled that you've got the site up and running!

16. Shadlington

Oh crap. I didn't see these posts - didn't show as there having been any new posts!

In testing both last week and just now, I haven't had any issues with the captcha.

Can you guys describe exactly what you're doing and any other details like what browsers you're using so I can try to reproduce this? You can let me know here or in IRC.

EDIT: Nevermind, it breaks in firefox.

17. Shadlington

Fixed it!

Please create an account and get to adding content :D

I am going to be adding a bunch of stuff today and will be putting up some decent content harvested from the forums instead of the test stuff so the site is a bit more useful.

18. Shadlington

Added a bunch of content so the site actually has some utility.

Also added maps into the mix.

19. illu

illu En Garde! Donator Tester

I've just added a video. But it strangely doesn't show up on the "Videos"-page but only on the startpage. Also I couldn't upload it directly (it's a ~16mb mp4-file) but had to upload it to Youtube first and then post the link.

Suggestions:
    - At the "Constructions" and "Maps" pages you can click on a thumbnail to see more details about a certain construction/map. At the "Videos"-page you can't do that.
    - Here you have three banner-images (just some older structures I've built): *click* *click* *click* Just make sure you crop them with the right resolution because the images which are already at your page use different resolutions (like 1018×384px and 762×376px) which makes them look clinched/squeezed. Always crop them with a resolution of 1018x320px before you upload them so they look properly. And I would remove the painted image with the bison because it's way too pixelated.
    - And I would suggest you to put an URL to the page into your sig since not many people seem to know about it.

20. Shadlington

Thanks ilu :)

-Content doesn't immediately get added to the search pages because they have to be indexed first, which happens every hour when the cronjob runs. You'll see its there now though! The frontpage is a little different because it is just reading the content directly (I will be replacing the front page with something other than a list of recent content soon anyway).
    -Directly uploading videos doesn't work correctly yet anyway - I don't have my own video player setup yet so I rely on youtube. I will be getting this sorted out soon.
    -I am aware of that bug with the video thumbnails not linking and its on my to-do list
    -Thanks for the banners! I know the current ones are rubbish and are the wrong sizes, I was waiting for someone like you to come along with some pics for me :)
    -Good idea about the sig, thanks!

Thank you very much for the feedback, its always welcome!

In other news, I have now added texture packs as a 4th content option!