1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG Map Editor Developement

Discussion in 'Maps' started by Verrazano, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crawfish

crawfish Ballista Bolt Thrower

So how to place the the crap? z or click because niether is working for me.

2. Freddex

Freddex Haxor

Did you select a block from the palette first? Then left-click should work. And are you clicking into the placable area?

3. crawfish

Yea the thing that says "blocks and obects" right? I tryed placing it everywhere too.:(

4. Freddex

Freddex Haxor

Hm, no idea what your problem is. Are you editing an existing map or did you create a new one?

5. crawfish

I'm trying to make a new one.This is exactly what i put in "Base/Maps/dual.png" width:"1200"hieght:"200".

6. Freddex

Freddex Haxor

1200 is very high, that's like a walk of 5 minutes ingame when running straight. Maybe it's too high and the editor can't handle it. Or maybe something simple is the reason, I can't see your screen. Well, maybe Verrazano can help you better.

7. crawfish

I tried 600, and 150 too still wont work.

8. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

erm your problem is that your path is into a no existent folder it cant make a map there. The file pathing starts in the base folder. the little text string below the text field says this. try "Maps/dual.png"

if you do that and you can't see the map tiles light up in yellow when you scroll over them scroll to the upper left and hold down mouse button until you see it. I made it spawn in all air I may change that.
    </br>--- merged: Sep 9, 2012 9:02 PM ---</br>
    Ah heads up creating a new map all though it appears to work it actually breaks when you save it for some reason... I'm not sure why though. It changes the bit depth to 4 or 1 which is unreadable in the editor so if you ever want to read it later... you can't. It saves perfectly fine if you go through the edit map process and saves it with a bit depth of 8. as for a progress report for today.
    I've added a red out line around the map so you know the bounds of it. Fixed the bug of not being able to open multiple maps per a session. And also fixed the seizure inducing save-as screen. Once I finish fixing the bug with the odd save format I will add a saving progress bar. Then I will push the update so you can get a hold of it.

9. Freddex

Freddex Haxor

Nice, thanks for the info. I was about to point out the screwed saves and the multiple maps per session bugs, but I guessed you were already aware of those. Good to hear you're looking into that.

10. trot888

trot888 Bison Rider

Great work I will definitely be using this. Thank you for making :)

11. christopher2643

christopher2643 Tree Planter
    1. Delta Force - Delta

The Editor still wont work for me, or my computer. My GHz is 1.66, should that effect it? Once i push Force Update, or start, it takes a long time, but then after that long time it minimizes itself and i cannot open it up. Is there something specific for me to open after opening the kageditor?

12. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Sorry chris I don't really know what to do or say to help you. On a side note.
    2.1!

changelog:

1) I fixed the bug where you could only have 1 map open per a session.

2) Source of map saving bug found! but not fixed :C (more below on this.)

3) added a saving progress bar. (it's a little derp right now.)

4) added a map border in red.

The map saving bug is produced by the library I'm using filling The IDAT chunk in the png with false data on the bit depth. The file is still open able by kag. However it will not be open able in the editor... UNLESS: unless you have many different tiles in the map when you save it. The library tries to save the png with a bit depth small enough to fit all the colors even though this is inappropriate and wrong. e.g. if you make a 20 x 20 map with only stone and back wall or something a long those lines. The best way to force the map to save correctly currently is to have many types of blocks probably around half of the blocks available.
    --
    How to check if your map was saved properly. Find your map in it's folder Right Click>Properties>Details
    check the field called Bit Depth if it says 8 you have successfully gotten the map to save.
    </br>--- merged: Sep 14, 2012 2:11 AM ---</br>
    You guys are quite unresponsive. But whatever here have another update!

change log:

1) added Tools & Settings palette

2) changeable scrolling speed

3) replaced the open button with mirror (more below)

4) fixed the saving bar (somewhat)

--

mirroring: so now you can build a map in the editor for example a map called "rtdm.png" then you can go to the drop down menu and instead of clicking "save" or "save-as" you can click "mirror" nothing visually will change on your screen. But if you back out of you current map and edit the map "rtdmmirroed.png" then you will find a map twice this size of your original just mirrored of the original! so to access the map you just saved a mirror of just tag mirrored onto the end of whatever the original map was named. This function is great for ctf maps and rtdm. Hope you like :)

--

Here are some demo videos of new functions and running them in kag.

Carver likes this.
  13. cschm49

cschm49 Shopkeep Stealer

to update do we use the original launcher an then click force update or do we have to re-download it?

14. Verrazano

just click start. force update is just for if you break something in the current update so you don't have to redownload. (force update also takes a lot longer to excute.) something I forgot to add was a updating progress bar. so don't freak out and close the application if it becomes unresponsive. It's just downloading the new material.

15. cschm49

cschm49 Shopkeep Stealer

Ok thanks

16. christopher2643

christopher2643 Tree Planter
    1. Delta Force - Delta

The problem is, is that it shows a command prompt like for 1 second after it finishes loading, but then it wont show the actual part. It seems as if its forced minized and wont open at all. I am on a laptop maybe the screen size is the problem here?

17. Verrazano

if the screen size is the problem, then go into the folder and look for the settings.txt then comment out the wisze 1024, 768 and uncomment like 800, 600 maybe change it to 800, 644​

18. Freddex

Freddex Haxor

Thanks for the update: I still appreciate what you're doing on this project, great new features, will speed up development a lot.

19. Verrazano

So I need some ideas for the next feature to implement you can suggest your own or you can vote on the following:

1) fill tool

2) zoom

3) replace (similar to fill just everything of that block)

20. cschm49

cschm49 Shopkeep Stealer

I would really like a zoom tool thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.