1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG Map Editor Developement

Discussion in 'Maps' started by Verrazano, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freddex

Freddex Haxor

Yap, I'd be pleased with any of these, zoom would be most appreciated though.

2. The_Khan

The_Khan Bison Rider

Zoom FTW!

3. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

Hey Verrazano,the name of your map editor will be KAG Map Editor?
    Because i'm developing a map editor too (yay),and I need a name for it :P

JacKD likes this.
  4. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

Yes, that's the name of my map editor.

5. JacKD

JacKD Ballista Bolt Thrower

I really like that people make useful tools for KAG, specially related to map making. I thought about doing one too as I really enjoy making maps though our current tools kinda suck :P

The thing is that without any documentation regarding how to place special blocks like workshops, zombies, specific tree tiles, damaged blocks and stuff, a new tool can't really do much better than GIMP, IMO, maybe just look nicer.

Does anyone know if the devs have any plans regarding the release of KAG map format documentation?

6. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

I think the main purpose of my map making tool is for those who don't know how to already use paint editors, or don't want to make swatches and label them. It gives you a visual representation of exactly what you are putting down, and what it will look like. I'm working on adding features that will improve it's standing over the existing tools (paint editors) as for The KAG map format the reason that I haven't done much work on it is because it is going to be subject to change in the final release of kag. I talk to Geti on a fairly regular basis, and on a few occasions I've asked him about reading the kag map format. It honestly wont be that hard to read, I'll probably make a script to spit into a text file. But basically the way it works is there are values from 1-256 represented through enums. once you know all the enums you're done. Theres a few more things such as entities like zombies, water, sacks ect. but that can easily be figured out if I just make a map with everything on it then put it through the above mentioned script.
    --
    regarding the usefulness of my editor vs the usefulness of gimp, I think that my editor can be faster in some cases. Considering the amount of work that goes into the swatches and remembering which color is which if you don't have a reference up. I just think it means you have to put less thought into what you are doing, because you can see exactly what you are doing. You can tell if something wont work or if it will look bad. In short it allows you to focus more on the map making portion rather than the not screwing up what block your placing portion.

7. JacKD

Just to make things clear, I'm not criticizing your work, as you say (and as I said too) it makes the map making process nicer. I just think that getting documentation on how to read and write .kag file will really boost the potential of any map making tool, so I wanted to know if anyone had any info about that :)

8. Verrazano

No I haven't heard anything about documentation, but the problem is that you can't just make a text file with the proper enum names and such and then save it as .kag The .kag is a binary file. So you would need a program to write and read binary but show it to you in unicode. If you could post a .kag map here with a bunch of different stuff I could try and read it tonight and post the results back, say in about an hour.

9. JacKD

10. Ranged66

Ranged66 Bison Rider

it lags my computer.
    BADLY.

11. Verrazano

1) how big is the map your opening.
    2) sorry I haven't finished culling.

12. Ranged66

Ranged66 Bison Rider

yeah i just figured out it was to big, otheriwse it handles great!

13. Verrazano

Yea, it handles maps the size of duel and duel2 pretty perfectly, once you get maps about the size of a 20 person ctf that's when it starts to go down hill. I can hopefully do some stuff to fix all that though.

14. vilereaver41

vilereaver41 Drill Rusher

so im guessing theres no way to fix the "not a valid win32 appilcation " thing?. i tried

1 - Running as administrator didnt work.

2 - Re downloading didnt work either

15. Verrazano

uhm, did you completely reinstall, like remove it then try reinstalling it. Or installing it to a different place. I got that air two days ago, Because I made an update from 2.3 to 2.4 which fixed a bug with colors that didn't correspond to any blocks. But It only could have happened during a period of 30 minutes or so when the name for the file was incorrect. If that happens then install it to a new location.

What OS are you running?

16. Antman

Antman Base Burner

I have the same problem as vilereaver.
    Running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Happens whenever I click the 'start' button in launcher.exe, and by running kageditor.exe.
    And the launcher is constantly not responding.

17. Verrazano

Yea, if the launcher isn't responding that just means its updating. I never put in any downloading bar or anything for the updater. Because I was rushing when I was trying to get it released. So if it doesn't respond just let it do it's thing for a few minutes. If you stop it it will only have a partial .exe for the map editor and so then it will crash the second you try to start it. it will also think you have the correct version. so delete version.txt and nversion.txt

Antman likes this.
  18. Livesparkk

Livesparkk Ballista Bolt Thrower

I downloaded the editor, but when i run the launcher it just gives me a black screen. Any suggestions?

19. Verrazano

define a blank screen, and if you read the post above yours that might solve your problem. ;)
    --
    Also I'm going to just officially announce this: My C++ KAG Map Editor has reached the end of it's development cycle, I'm no longer going to be producing updates for it. However I'm working on a different project for KAG that involves a map editor. ;) You can still use this thread to ask for help with trouble shooting. I'll probably also post a link to the source code soon if ya'll want to look at that.

20. cschm49

cschm49 Shopkeep Stealer

Could you give us some more hints about your new KAG adventure and good luck :thumbs_up:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.