1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG Tournament

Discussion in 'Old Events/Giveaways/Contests' started by Carver, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carver

Carver Meitantei-san Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

What is this?
    One night, when thinking about KAG, a thought popped into my head: "Wouldn't it be cool to have a tournament in KAG?". After pondering the issue, I made this thread to gauge support, and people seem to agree with me! Join up with two of your friends (or community pals) and compete in various gametypes, For GLORY, HONOR, and BRAGGING RIGHTS.

Revision
    Having seen plenty of support for this, I decided to go ahead and revise this post, to explain the rules and redirect people for organization. Tell me if you find any errors, or anything to add, either by conversation, IRC, or otherwise. (This section may be deleted, but I find it useful)

How is it organized?
    The current structure is as follows:
    • Preliminaries: All teams will compete in a Swiss-system structure, matches being performed independently of each other, and Win/Loss count being recorded. The top 8 will continue on to the finals.
    • Finals: Remaining teams will compete in a Knockout structure, matches being performed consecutively (specifics are debatable). The winners are crowned champions, and the winning team will receive a gold account to use as they please! (Thanks to the donator Contrary :3)
    All games are best of 9, RCTF (Rapid Capture the Flag).
    Maps will be drawn in no particular order, with each map being played once per match.

Map Pool
    Geti's Bridge (First map only)
    Lazylands x2 (No thread)

In addition, games are set for the week of December 26/27th (Yes I've moved them).

In-game Specifics
    Thiel asked me what were the match specifics, so here they are:​
    • Due to regular RCTF/RDM being without builders, and having never really run a tournament, there will be no builders in the tournament (maybe in a future tournament).
    • Once again, per the usual rules, every player will be given a bomb and 20 arrows regardless of class, so any kill will grant the victor more arrows as an archer or a spare bomb as a knight.
    • Finally, each team will have 4 lives - this means each player can--ideally--die once and respawn, the 4th death being given no respawn.
    How do I Sign up?
    Signing up is to be done here. However, discussion of team members (e.g. Hey X wanna join our team?) is totally fine and much preferred in this thread, or the IRC.

In addition:
    • You are also allowed to list a substitute, though it's not required.
    • I've decided not to include builders for this tournament -- it's 3v3, so it's supposed to be "quick and dirty" -- Builders will probably be included when there are more members in the community.
    Sign-up is currently closed, but I might open it again, depending on the circumstances.
    IRC Channel
    As the trend is going, I've made an IRC channel, where you can talk with other competitors or discuss some of the planning. I still need to give a few people op, but other than that it's fine.dsf

Trelawney asked me to post the individual channel: (On quakenet) #kag.tournament

Attached Files:

SirSalami, goodyman8, Noburu and 12 others like this.
  2. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

I like this and also how about attack and defense gamemode too.:D

3. Thiel

Thiel KAG Guard Tester

I love it! BoW will most likely be very interested in participating.
    If we manage to record the matches aswell as the progress (You could make a typical tournament tree) it'd make people more interested in KAG aswell. I guess the RD and Capture the Flag should be two different tournament cups tho, since there are some teams around that recruit mainly based on RDM skills, and would fail at CTF, and the same way around.

But I like, I like, I like!

4. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I would like an RCTF (RDM + Flag) tournament, but for keeps with winners being written down and all that. Should be intense. It would be easier to handle than clan matches as they'd be quicker and you'd only need like 3 or 4 a team.

5. Carver

Yeah, I think I just realised what I want to do for team size:

Last night I wanted to lock team classes, so 2 knight 2 archer 1 builder...​
    Then I realised it'd be really restrictive.​
    Instead, 3-4 is probably right, to allow for a variance of ratios:​
    support archer & builder, knight pair​
    knight "bait", support builder, archer pair​
    archer * knight fighters, builder pair​

With that structure, you can be flexible with your classes!​

6. Maverick

Maverick Haxor

Hmm... would be very interesting :D

7. Or 4 knights blob to win.

8. Carver

Good point, we'd have to coordinate servers somehow... otherwise lag would be a really unfair element.
    It's very possible that if two teams, one European & the other American were facing each other, we'd need to do games "Best of X (probably 3 or 5)" and split them evenly (as far as the server used)... Aside from one, which we'd need to flip a coin or randomize it, you know?

9. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

What I like about this is that we are not bound by our clan banners.

Noc and Beef like this.
  10. Carver

Yup, honestly there aren't many clans... and even so they aren't the majority. alienating non-clan members would be silly!

However, it will be official teams -- you'll need to register a roster and that kind of jazz.

EDIT: Also, I made this thread to guage interest. People seem cool with it, no real disapproval (though I'm sure not everybody has seen the thread).

With that sort of established, I ask my second question: Any artists wanna make some banners?
    I've looked around in the Art Dump thread in Off-Topic, and holy shit you guys are fantastic!
    I'm especially looking forward to what Geti or Smilecythe can whip up :D

11. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

I know how to fix european/americian lag issues host a server from an island in the middle of the atlantic!!!(Or large millitary vessel.)Anyway on-topic it doesnt seem anyone is objecting.

12. TerryDactyl

TerryDactyl KAG Guard Tester

[GC] TerryDactyl: Free Lance for Hire. Eastern Standard Time.

Proposal to solve geographic issues: Play a round robin with home & away games, like they do in the sports leagues.

13. Fellere825

Terry I'll form a team with you (if you want)... We would need few other members to create the KAG-DreamTeam and I think you and I both know who we would ideally take into the team (if you want...).

14. TerryDactyl

No... It couldn't be... surely you don't mean the...
    *muffled screams*

[---> private message.]

15. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

3 Man RCTF tourney?

Team "Better than Fellere and Terry's team"
    Myself, Spitfire, and Carver.

16. TerryDactyl

You can be damn sure it's going to be a close match.

17. Fellere825

Terry lets abduct them into our team.

18. TerryDactyl

No, Feller, they've made their allegiances clear. They'll see the pointy end of my steel!

19. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Which will see the iron shield of mine!

20. Jackal

Jackal Shark Slayer

The Thief of Flavell is searching for a team. Can't say I'd be much of an asset, but I suppose the tournament would be fun nonetheless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.