1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG's Dying Competitive Scene

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShamWow-SuperRag, Jun 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShamWow-SuperRag

ShamWow-SuperRag zamn Donator Tester

I dont know. What would we change?

2. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

Doesn't have to be a random change. It can just be a cycle.

Maybe CTF for one month, then TTH for the next, and end the quarter with TDM.

AmestriStephen likes this.
  3. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

anything but tth :/

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: changing it up - this will be helpful for finding a format, but everywhere I've seen competitive gaming thrive it's been on a consistent format with slow but consistent changes to content - that means a cycle of maps, not completely changing the gamemode.

I am reading this thread btw; I don't agree that this scene should rely on us to buoy it along though.
    Competitive play is built on the motivation and drive of players, if that isn't there, no amount of incentivisation will help.

5. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Just to expand on this point, fwiw:

Later on today I'll be submitting a precis to THD that outlines some hopes, concerns, and plans for the community (covering KAG as well as other THD games; both competitive and casual scenes) and this point about motivation and drive of players is a central concern. There are concrete things that the devs & other staff can do to help foster an environment that generates the impetus for competitive play; but at the end of the day all it comes back to you guys making things actually happen.

In effect, we can provide a space and some helpful tools; but in the end it's up to people to utilise them and build the competitive scene you actually want. Expecting anything more than said space & tools from the devs--any magical "push2createcompetitiveplay" button--is to miss the entire point of what makes a competitive scene viable.

Snake19, PeggleFrank and Darknighte9 like this.
  6. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

Lol, TTH is for noobs who want to learn how to spam bombs and TDM is for quick fun. Neither gamemode is good for competitive play at all. We should just stick to CTF, maybe gather could be a switch-up option.

EhRa, PUNK123 and Darknighte9 like this.
  7. kittycity

kittycity Haxor

Actually I did a competitive tth once and I had a blast. Doing it.. there actually was more strategizing then you'd think. Go for war boat or burgers? Water bombs or fire arrows? In the end it was a fun match and pretty close but it never ended.. we called it a tie because it went on For like An hour. (Keep in mind the map was the one with a huge bedrock bowl in the middle with water)

8. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

if there was shop restriction then i wouldnt mind, but being able to break all the shops and turn them into bomb arrow shops would be abused and very un-competitive

9. Colargolator

Colargolator Horde Gibber
    1. KAG Competitive League

Maybe we can imagine organizing side TTH tournaments, but we should definetly keep CTF for permanent league play.

10. ShamWow-SuperRag

ShamWow-SuperRag zamn Donator Tester

Fuzzy, totally agree with you and Geti. That was never my agenda. I'm trying to kickstart the rebirth, not enlist your help in something that only us, as players, can do.

11. JiffIez

JiffIez Arsonist

Me thinks you're all trying to turn this into a LoL or Dota type game and I just don't see it happening o.o. My 2 cents.

12. Psiklaw

Psiklaw Bison Rider

Why do you think this? The player base is not comparable, but if there's clans there should be a league for competition ::(:

Snake19, Darknighte9 and Blue_Tiger like this.
  13. JiffIez

JiffIez Arsonist

@Psiklaw - Because very few people are interested in a competitive KAG currently. Take a good look at the names in this particular topic. Most are oldies/long-time players (few and far between). A proper competition includes newbies as well or at least lets them get their foot in the door. Also, there is currently no well oriented news system to get this type of stuff out to the majority of KAG players. Whenever I hear about something competitive, it's either already happened or it's going to be happening that night or really soon. Most of the people who participate in that sort of thing discuss things about it on the IRC or w/e else you guys use to chat amongst one another which seems, to me, like an exclusive club for oldies/well-known players.

There is also a lack of ways to attack the enemy team. Right now (especially since a lot of you are saying screw TTH and TDM and stick to CTF), you have really one of three options. Rush the hell out of them with knights/archers/builders, tunnel underground and be "sneaky" (though since minimap updates every little change in blocks, it's kind hard to be sneaky), or protect your flags SO WELL that the enemy eventually loses morale and quits thus allowing you the chance to rush their base and get the flag. That's it.

Finally, and most importantly, there are a number of glitches/bugs that are truly obnoxious and can throw off the whole game for a team if even one happens. During a competitive match I can only imagine the amount of insults and complaining that would happen if a glitch just so happened to occur in the middle of a decisive battle or what have you.

Oh forgot one thing. KAG clans (with the exception of one or two) are, imho, exclusive little clubs, not well oriented teams.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2015
    PUNK123, Psiklaw, Galen and 2 others like this.
  14. AmestriStephen

AmestriStephen Haxor Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

we could set up some sort of fair rule about that and other shiet :)

15. Darknighte9

Darknighte9 Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. KAG Competitive League

Jiff, if clans were exclusive little clubs, there wouldn't be so many clans that are willing to openly recruit. Example? I'm pretty sure at no point has @Chukka or especially @TheDirtySwine cared if people in Nova had really good KD. You might not be interested in competitive KAG, but I think a lot of people enjoy the aspect of a close community. Me and other members of my clan as well as others have encouraged new players to stick around and get involved on the forums. You just said earlier that you think the community is trying to make a Dota or LoL type scene but then you say there is no way to get out news to other players? I'm thinking forum.kag2d.com has been a good way of doing that. Just requires a little initiative by the user. There was a lot I didn't know about competitive KAG that I didn't know about until I joined a clan. I encourage you to get involved because this thread has proven that it is quite in depth and I think some of your views would change if you were.

CowboyDan likes this.
  16. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

If you guys advertised over on the Steam forums, you'd get a lot more potential players.

Now isn't the time (the new system hasn't been put in motion yet), but recruiting people for clan wars on the KAG discussions page would be a great way to get new blood. Very few people actually check the dedicated forums of any particular game; they usually just use the Steam discussions, because they're easy to navigate to from the steam overlay.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  17. SAcptm

SAcptm Haxor Staff Alumni

The way I see it, the actual problem at the moment is not a lack of dedication amongst existing clan players, its that the actual pool of players who are "in on it" is ridiculously small. Like Jifflez said there is definitely an issue of exclusivity surrounding most of the competitive stuff that actually happens in KAG. If your ambition is to revive the old competitive leagues then the answer is not to try and squeeze more commitment from the oldfags but to broaden the appeal and encourage casual players to step up too.

We here at BoW often have to deal with some very unpleasant baiting from AG# et al who keep trying to push matches on us by appeals to some weird serious defence of e-honour or something. It's totally ridiculous but it's a mentality which is pretty prevalent around here and, certainly in our case, it makes us not want to take part in competitive matches. We haven't played matches in a long time because the whole atmosphere is not "lets chill out and have a couple rounds for fun." Rather, I've increasingly seen clan players bicker and argue with each other when they lose, and gloat very unattractively when they win. That sort of thing is very off-putting and gives us no incentive to take part when really we only ever play in order to have a laugh.

So, the way I see it, if you want to help revive stuff then you can start by not going for balls-to-the-wall super serious officialdom, but rather make something that actually looks fun to people who haven't yet but might want to participate.

PUNK123, Kazaco97 and Galen like this.
  18. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

What we really need is a group of veterans/old fags that want to play scrimmages for fun, and then get a seperate group for competitive clans that have 5-7 top tier players.

I could easily see players like kedram, t3rnary, and snake19 all having their own groups with top tier players fighting each other for honor and glory.

The way I see it, is that there is casual competitive and then there's try hard competitive. There's nothing wrong with either, but when you combine the two you usually have one clan getting their shit stomped and the other clan boosting their ego over a small victory.

You really want to organize a competitive group? You have to be a lot stricter than this monopolized group of clans we have currently. I'm getting my new computer this upcoming weekend and I've got a lot of ideas on how to boost this games competitive scene. I'm thinking about starting a convo with all of the current clans leaders, because we are going to need to make some sacrifices if we really want to see any change.

Psiklaw and Darknighte9 like this.
  19. Psiklaw

Psiklaw Bison Rider

PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS

I would like to hear what you have to say, please read what I say below ::):

I agree and disagree with you: I will answer to your points one by one, please read carefully and thanks for doing it ::):

I don't consider myself part of the oldie colective; 1 year playing only (yet I play a lot). Still I have co-founded 2 of the most active clans (first LVT then FIST). I agree that new players should have big importance; we should focus on this last sale new blood. We are here to think on how to improve the clans and the competition, so feel free to add ideas instead of just pointing at the problems. Most clan stuff happens in steam chat or in IRC or in forum conversations, I agree and I stand my vote for a more transparent clan life, one that noobs can look at and want to participate (not one they cant see).

My suggestion: different custom small leagues made by the community. No casual/social/competitive shit; just custom named and tailored leagues started in forums by clans or individuals and managed by all of us in cooperation, so one clan can propose a league for newbies focused on just training people, and other clans can have a vote on it and help bring it to reality. Prize is having fun and maybe signature images or videos or whatever, this is possible and I'm suggesting it.

!!!!!!BUT!!!!!!

For this happy idea to be possible we need to change things as @TheDirtySwine well said. Also i'm thinking in @SAcptm words : we need to stop the elite behaviour towards everyone and specially focus on getting more fun games just for chilling and laughing. AG, zen and other clans are really cancerous sometimes because they just assume they rek everyone and have to be the best, they never talk to noobs if it's not to insult them, they almost always play to win and the sad truth is that this actions are easily imitated by other players.

I see my own clan, FIST, getting often in the hate move because it's fun, but i also love when we play a cw and have fun (LIKE THE LAST ONE WITH ELF (new clan); WE WON BUT IT WAS GG AND WE LOVED IT AS WE STATED TO THEM THEN). And I prefer this last model to show off around. In the end new players will just IMITATE the best players behaviour, the game is complicated and we can't expect a healthy community when we don't show respect and will to have fun, specially being part of a clan).

For the lack of ways to attack the enemy, I propose designating community members to make custom maps @RadioActive and tweaking the gamemode so we have maybe longer build time or tickets or both, but again the main change needed is adopting a respectful and friendly attitude. We can always have a "league of hatred and SALT" where big old clans can show dicks and we can insult each other as always.

Finally, about the bugs and glitches... I have been in games where a flag was captured thanks to archer glitch, and well, its devs to blame, but as before, an attitude of chill and friendly gameplay will make all this secondary.

THANKS FOR READING PSIKLAW OPINION 2015

PeggleFrank and Darknighte9 like this.
  20. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Smaller groups is what we need, but I don't see social/competitive clans going away any time soon. Smaller groups would definitely help, but the problem with making everyone get put into certain groups could cause a lot of stacked teams giving them an unfair advantage. Not only that, but their aren't enough quality builders/archers to go around.

I feel like there are a lot of good players that want to scrimmage for fun and then there are good players that play to win. Why can't we have both?

I'd like to propose a thing similar to gather without gathers limitations so that good players are able to play against each other without the hassle of gathers requirements. I'd like to suggest a dedicated server with a password that can be found on the forums. This server should have scheduled times that people usually get on to play captains etc.

What we need for extremely competitive players is a tournament designed for players to organize small groups of 5-6 (maybe more) players that will compete against each other for the grand prize (e-trophy?).

EhRa and Blue_Tiger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.