1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Keep newcomers on Kag

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Snake19, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

Well, helping noobs at a nice framerate was fun while it lasted.

2. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Yes it is, as long as your server is hosted on Linux. I wouldn't say something if it weren't true.

PanduhsFTW likes this.
  3. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

Master4523 made something similiar for classic. Accounts that were registered before 13 february could join, the ones that were made later were kicked (to prevent speedhackers). It used kag api i think.

4. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Yes, that's how you'd do it.

5. AmestriStephen

AmestriStephen Haxor Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

YAP! That is a nice idea, and i would be free for new players, too!

6. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

The only options were keep it at 20, 24, or 32. Given how many noobs flood ALL servers still since both noob servers are constantly full, I felt like 32 was the only way to go. I don't like it either but there you go.

Could you tell me how to do this? Would it be possible to exclude people from being kicked?
    it's been going good without plugins so far but it does require a lot of attention.

7. Mazey

It won't make your server show up as modded.
    It's done with with KScript. Call the date from the api with javascript and kick people who's account is older than a certain date. You could add a statement where it also excludes people, that's pretty easy. Don't forget your servers needs to be hosted on a linux environment

whisper_dan likes this.
  8. daskew87

daskew87 Legendary corpse humper Donator

I just want to say that when I first saw these "new player servers" about, I thought it was a nice concept but a stupid idea.

Now we've just had an influx of thousands of new players, and I have learned there's a dynamic system that kicks players with good rankings I think...

thumbs up.png

>WE NEED MORE

>TO KEEP SOME OF THESE NEW PEOPLE!

!!!I will make another if someone messages me about how to set it up

Snake19, Psiklaw and Blue_Tiger like this.
  9. whisper_dan

whisper_dan Ballista Bolt Thrower

Still going hard on the newcomers.

They are quite fond of the middle finger emote.

Id like to change my chat bubbles so that they are visible chat bubbles in the sky that dk not glitch and compete for space with other messages if you're near someone like the current bubbles.

With bubbles off, the only communication is a small chat box in thecorner of the screen with text I have to squint at.

I am a very outgoing person and I do not communicate or teach as much as I'd like to because emoticons are more lucrative than kag communication.

Would be really awesome if microphones were enabled for people you are near in the game

10. Tern

Tern Quickfish Donator Official Server Admin
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

If voice chat were ever implemented, it should be team-wide, and not just for people who are near you. Pub matches would be more coordinated and therefore more enjoyable, and new players would stick around more if they met people and spoke with them in-game frequently using voice rather than typing in chat.

Communicating is so much easier when you don't have to stop in the middle of a match to type and you can convey ideas quickly. Some might say that it would be better to use Mumble, but you can't just go inviting every new player you see into your Mumble server. In-game voice chat would also be hassle free. Even so, I'm not sure if the devs are up to adding something so big to the game at this point and if it would even work that well with the way KAG matches are set up (i.e. open lobbies with high player limits).

11. whisper_dan

whisper_dan Ballista Bolt Thrower

If there is one thing about competitive gaming, and accomplishing things through relationships with people in general, it's that communication is among the most important aspects of the relationship.

If you want to get really technical, the relationship itself and communication are one and the same.

A ventrilo channel or Skype call with 16 people will be hectic most of the time. Some people like myself just love to talk. Other people want to grief with their voices, ect. I think would be the same way with a team wide chat but would still like to see it happen.

If you want to promote player retention, i think promoting interaction is key.

Not necessarily talking either......Just doing ANYTHING that makes the game more enjoyable to you with regards to other players......Which I guess is also anything.

TL;DR: The new players need someone to play with. If you want to kill them all that's cool. If you want to build them all their own personal castles that's cool too.

Just make sure you're PLAYING.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  12. Snake19

Snake19 RIP Staff Alumni Donator
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

Yesterday I desperately tried to find a server without noob.
    But it was impossible to find one!
    I wanted training me against pros, because my skill is a bit rusty right now.
    But kag is invaded of new players (which is a good thing)
    Instead of making a ton of new servers for new players, why not make a server for veteran players?
    That way, the veteran players go on a server for the "PRO" and allows the new players to train on other servers.

13. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

I have one, I started it up again when the overrun of new players started; But honestly, there's so many new players i can't stand myself to exclude them from any server, especially when both noob servers are full. And so it ends up being a regular server.
    On top of that it's pretty intensive adminning a noob server (as is a "pro" server) and I just don't have the time to do both at once. I guess I/we will just have to ride out this new player wave until it's calmed down a bit.

Alternatively, leo has a "whitelist" server where only players who apply are allowed: https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/two-white-list-enabled-servers-for-the-community.23707/

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  14. startselect3

startselect3 Arsonist

what can you expect from AG? They've been doing this, Snake farmed an alt account for a better score on blackdeath (and he defends it by saying he got high while doing it) and also remember that clan MIST? They went against them like 5 times, and won 5 times, and got first place in that MLK thing. These guys are the worst people I have ever played with in kag. I wish these guys could go be another community's problem.

15. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

Go start a private inhouse. You're literally killing the game you love.

AmestriStephen likes this.
  16. Snake19

1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

I never heard absurdities like that!
    What is this story of alt account?
    I never played on an alt account, since the steam sale!
    (Excepting "Snake191" which was my admin account for the server "FOR NEW PLAYERS ONLY")

but we know that account is mine, everyone knows him, I do not hide it!

Also @startselect3 , read the answers from my members before writing, absurdities.

And stop with this story of Mlk I explained it hundreds of times:
    https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/kags-dying-competitive-scene.23690/page-8#post-350249

You have already blamed my clan about that on our clan thread, and you were so ashamed of yourself, of what you said, so you deleted your posts.
    https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/ag-ancient-gear.21170/page-10#post-327054

17. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

he is refering to this:

18. Snake19

1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

Oh really? this is an old story that my haunted a long time !
    I'm really felt ashamed of myself after that.
    But behind it there is a real reason, that I do not wish to said in public.
    I have apologized to Leo by telling him what happened and the people I disappointed that day.
    I had absolutely no need to do that, if it were to do again, I restart my rank to show you that I can still do better without it.

Blue_Tiger likes this.
  19. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

MFW people actually cared about that stupid rank system

20. kittycity

kittycity Haxor

The games about kdr. Not capturing the flag... right?

Dargona1018, Mazey and PUNK123 like this.