1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Kick Ability for Archers / Purchasable Kicking Boots

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Potatobird, Mar 16, 2014.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

Giving archers an extra heart would change so much. Yes they could die easily, but it wouldn't be as ridiculous as it is now. They would have a chance to escape. Most of the time when some knight just barely makes it when killing an archer. If they got one extra heart they would escape. As of right now the archer class in my opinion is just for sitting on a tower and being annoying. They would take chances, leave there spot, and push up.

The only problem I can see by giving archers 3 hearts is archer vs archer combat would be too long.

2. Sir_Walter

Sir_Walter Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

Solution= because of archers' weak armor, arrows do 1.5 hearts of damage to them.

3. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

But then the fire arrows would leave them with half a heart :QQ:

Maybe if fire arrows did half a heart bonus damage on impact as well... but then they'd do a total of 2.5 hearts, 3 against archers. Sounds a bit op, although I love my fire arrows.

4. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

Ok there is now no downside to having archers with 3 hearts

5. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

[​IMG]
    Therein lies the problem

6. archers can escape 100% of time, if they don't fuck up

7. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

I don't understand! Kicking? Wut?

Just give archers their knife back!

Vampire likes this.
  8. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

I don't see how I can escape when my hitboxes are 2 secs behind... Oh wait, this would only affect me ::(:

9. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

Laggy strikes is a problem, but that can only be solved by playing on servers where you have good ping with other players who are doing the same.

A huge problem I've noticed is the "freaking longswords," as some people put it. It's been said before that Knight slash (and stab) hitboxes are pretty damn large, and after learning that their slash hitboxes are essentially 75% of a circle, with a teeny empty spot behind them, I have been convinced that they need to shrink somehow. I'm tired of making a perfect grapple escape maneuver and being hit while I'm at this position in relation to the Knight:

:archer:
    :blank::knight:

10. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

Yea the slash hitbox is quite frustrating add that to the 1hk and archers can't even go near the ground. But you know what they say about a man who has a large sword...

Nabuco likes this.
  11. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

It's so easy to win as an archer.... or atleast push the knight back as an archer, forcing the knight to shield continously until either you are out of arrows, or your knight comes...

Shoot arrows at the knight will stun and push back, it he is close enough. And if he gets too close.... grapple away. No reason for all this nonsense.

Vampire and Sir_Walter like this.
  12. austinthus

austinthus Horde Gibber

I have to say that archers have many problems right now that give them a very steep learning curve. We can give them 3 hearts, but that will make the best archers unstoppable (theoretically). What we need to figure out is what to take away from the archers that would hinder the really good players, but help lower skill rank players. If all else fails, then I'm all for kicking a guy's bomb back at him while it's in midair.

EDIT: We don't necessarily need to hinder the better players, but if they're getting another heart, it would be advisable.

13. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

"Unstoppable" is a bit of an overstatement. Pit a single skilled Knight against a bunch of other Knights, and he'll probably wreck them instantly. Pit a single skilled Archer against four lesser Knights, and he MIGHT be able to bring them down, but he'd still take ages to do it, and he wouldn't be able to do it at all if he didn't have some seriously advantageous terrain.

I don't think we should assume that every Archer out there is going to be as stupidly good as Trumbles - they're not. Archers have an even steeper learning curve than Knights do, so the number of veteran Archers out there will never be as high as the number of veteran Knights, who can probably wreck any Archer with a well-thrown bomb anyway.

Archers can still do with a buff.

Vampire and amgtree like this.
  14. PandemicCommander

PandemicCommander Shipwright

I too enjoyed soldat.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 21, 2014, Original Post Date: Mar 21, 2014 ---
    I really like the idea of kicking bombs back, as at high skill levels, a knight is better at range than archer thanks to bombs and shields.
    This needs to be implemented in a way that wont be broken, but archers are in bad need of a buff, preferably something that low-skill players can use effectively to fix the skill gap with knights.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 29, 2014 ---
    Archers really DO need a spontaneous attack, it's pathetic that they're the "fast class" and have the slowest attack in the game.

15. where did you read that?

archers dont need anything, you just have to learn how not to get hit

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  16. PandemicCommander

"Not getting hit" is fine when there are >10 players in a game. Once a game gets decent sized it becomes a jumble of knights with bombs flying everywhere. Where a single slash or bomb is lethal, and charging up and firing takes over a second, archers pretty much get lost in the noise. Yes, you can sit back and fire into knight combat, but you could do twice as much for your team switching to knight yourself.

17. bomb arrows and water arrows both are AoE, 2nd ones are esp. fantastic as support for your knights

love it or hate it, big part of archers' role is utility/support and if you want to be successful, you have to take advantage of that

18. PandemicCommander

Of course, but with knights having access to bombs and water bombs, archers can be fairly moot as a support class.

19. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

I get what your saying. That Knights can do all the things archers can. They can help knight vs knight battles, climb towers(bombs and vertical climbing), and even blow stuff up. They can even do this stuff ten times easier. I think the only thing knights can't do is set stuff on fire. Knights can out do archers in any aspect other than I guess camping.

20. PandemicCommander

Why do I now want to start an epic quest to become the greatest camping knight of all time...

amgtree likes this.
Mods: Rainbows