1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

King Arthurs Gold, A kid game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cerbercre, Sep 5, 2012.

?

Do you think KAG's a kids game?

1. Kids Game.

16.7%
  2. Not a kids game.

66.7%
  3. Whatever, I just like the game.

24.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cerbercre

Cerbercre Brolord 弟兄主 Donator
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

When i think of a kids game, i think of things similar to like toontown. :D

2. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Tic Tac Toe is a kids game because of the low amount of thought and consideration needed to play well. While KAG has a much larger number of game states and more variables to consider, none of that matters because the game is so random. It's like if you took chess and made it so that you had to flip a coin to see if you successfully captured a piece. So on the one hand there is a lot to consider, but none of it matters because thinking is not important.

Arcite and Cerbercre like this.
  3. allknowingfrog

allknowingfrog Bison Rider

Now I have to curse like a sailor in-game so I won't feel childish.

4. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Well honestly I wouldn't call KAG a "kid's game" and I'd even argue about how that notion is being used here.

But I think that discussions with only one side are stupid and unproductive and generally devolve into circle jerking.

Guro and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  5. allknowingfrog

Yeah, everyone hates circlejerks, and everyone loves to discuss how much they hate circlejerks, and eventually you realize you accidentally stumbled into another circlejerk. Rinse and repeat.

6. Kinpump

Kinpump Music Guy THD Team Donator

Well most importantly this game is a FUN game!!!

I dont care if it's for kids or not, as long as it is fun.
    KAG is like any good game: Easy to learn, difficult to master.
    Even kids can learn the rules of chess, but no one would call it a kids game
    just because of that.

End of discussion for me :)

7. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

Show me one mature gamer. Just one. You can't. Because gamers are all children at heart, and that's not such a terrible thing ;)

8. Brandon816

Brandon816 Ballista Bolt Thrower

Probably not, unless you remove their chat bar. Otherwise, they will have to be dealing with some of the most depressing, angry, and whiney brats the internet has to offer. I think it's better not to risk having that rub off on the kids.

9. Brilly

Brilly Haxor

Where exactly is the dice rolling in KAG?

What element of the game is random?

I've never understood the support behind that argument, and I really would like clarification.

10. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

If you slash a knight at the same time that he slashes you, it all comes down to whose favor the lag is in. Shielding sometimes blocks seemingly everything, or sometimes nothing. Double slashes could kill/hurt/stun/do nothing to someone, depending on unknown variables. Collapses act randomly, sometimes killing from far away. Large games consist of many flying projectiles that you can't account for. There is a lot of randomness.

allknowingfrog likes this.
  11. Brilly

Brilly Haxor

But lag is a measurable quantity that can be deduced from ping.

I have ways of dealing with people with 200-250 ping, as well as those 0-33 ping.

Collapses can always be avoided. Just stay away from downhill slopes while something is collapsing, and keep your distance in general.

Double slashing is all about positioning yourself for the kill. I can consistently stun a knight when I want to based off my position from him.

This is not random, these are all qualities limited by rules of physics in the game.

BlueLuigi and Beef like this.
  12. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

When I read this tread, I was thinking about someone.

Joelday

13. Guro

Guro SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM

I don't think King Arthur's Gold is a game intended for children, but it is a game played by many children. Most of these sorts of games with block placing mechanics are sort of sitting right on the fence of what most people consider to be a "Kid's game" these days. I think that between minecraft and youtube, games with block placing/sandbox mechanics have become ridiculously popular, especially with younger people.

Block placing games are fairly accessible. You don't really need to learn complex mechanics or skills to play the game. Compared to something like Starcraft: Brood War where you need to learn and practice complex game mechanics to even have the most basic level of skill at the game. This was mainly due to poor programming, AI and game bugs but it added to the character and skill ceiling of the game. Most block placing games are relatively simple, with most of the skill coming from knowledge (of crafting recipes/building techniques in the case of minecraft) rather than practiced use of advanced mechanics.

Many block-placing games incorporate sandbox elements, and sandbox is ridiculously popular this generation too, with even some first-person-shooters incorporating sandbox elements into their gameplay (Halo: ODST). The popularity of sandbox games is reflected in the perennial success of the GTA series I think. It allows the player to do what they want and stray from the narrative and direction the game provides. I don't like the idea of people not playing the game the way the developers intended you to, but by the same token I hate super linear games. Games should feel natural, not like you're bring forced down corridors and not like you should be able to do whatever you want whenever you want. I'd use the game Dark Souls as an example. I never felt like I only had one direction to go in at any point in the game, but you can't just go anywhere you want. There's a rough mud-map you have to follow to beat the game and I like that. It allows the player choice without taking away the developers intended gaming experience.

I treat a game the same way I would treat a movie, but then again I'm a loser. It's a shame that games will never be taken seriously as an art form like film/music/visual art. Video Game critics and writers are fans of games, not critics of games. That is the problem.

Sorry, I just went off on an enormous tangent. I'm just rambling really, but there's Guro's 2 cents (on everything to do with gaming).

Aladdinsane, Beef, One and 4 others like this.
  14. Cerbercre

Cerbercre Brolord 弟兄主 Donator
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

This is a good response. I quite agree with what your saying. And im sure a day will come when things like games are considered as an art. Sooner or later it will happen.

15. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

It'd probably get a Rated T by EULA standards.

Cerbercre likes this.
  16. Aoki

Aoki Shopkeep Stealer

Kids these days: "MORE GUNS!"
    Grown up these days: "MORE PIXELS!"

17. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Is it simple enough a child could play it on a basic/intermediate level?

Yes? it's a kids game.
    No? It's not a kids game.

Let's look at a few examples:

StarCraft2 - No, so it's not.
    KAG - Yes, so it is.
    Diablo III - Yes, so it is
    MapleStory - Yes, so it is.
    Tic Tac Toe - Yes, so it is.
    Go - Yes, so it is (Although the definition of intermediate is subject to some investigation...)

In general, if a child can understand the rules and gain a basic understanding enough to stand with an average level player I'd consider it a childs game, take most mobas and you can probably say they are not for kids, I doubt I could give a 10yo a moba game and expect him to not shit the bed, same with any RTS, as well as probably any Commander style game (Savage, S2, Nuclear Dawn,etc).

The fact that we've had people admit to letting their 4-6yo children play KAG and say they do perfectly fine (not playing builder) shows how simple the game is and how stupid (or young in this case) you can be and still 'contend'.

Is the game targeted to children? No, I don't think so.

Is the game acceptable to market toward children? Probably not with the blood, but easily fixed.

Are the mechanics simple enough for kids to do good? Yes

I'd say in the end the mechanics speak the loudest when we are talking about games.

Ej and Arcite like this.
  18. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Actually, that's an interesting point you raise there.

*digs out developmental psych. 204 text book* :gear:

People aged 12-16 generally have an advantage over older peeps in games like KAG simply because their brains plasticity function is much, much higher. An old fogie like me (24) can spend time thinking about the mechanics of the game and with some practice acquire a reasonable level of skill, but many a younger person can achieve similar or better results far faster with less effort on the basis that acquiring compound fine-motor skills is what their brains are currently wired to do. Broadly generalising, oldfags can use better reasoning processes due to more cognitive experience (and hence often prove to be better builders, in my experience), but younger-types are ideally suited to acquire high levels of proficiency in things like knight combat, etc. where their brain treats learning about distance and timing the same in-game as out (i.e. something it's developmentally primed to master because of age, current stimuli focus, etc., etc.).

</dev. psych. nerd ramble> :P

19. Aoki

Aoki Shopkeep Stealer

I sincerely believe that oldfaqs rather indulge themselves in roleplaying... btw are those RP servers any fun?

20. allknowingfrog

KAG is not dominated by random variables, but you can't honestly believe that there are none. Even if you learn to adjust to lag, do you memorize who has 200 and who has 33? Do you find that lag is always perfectly constant?

Collapses are definitely random. Sure you can avoid them. You can avoid knight combat too, but that's hardly a solution.

An element of randomness definitely contributes to the casual nature of the game. Perhaps that makes it more kid-friendly. I don't see that as a bad thing.

Ej likes this.