1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

King Arthur's Gold (Beta): The best real time Civilization Game to date.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Invaders, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

Ever since 780 came out, KAB has gone from a game about being very aggressive and being ludicrously fast paced to a game that adopts more of a 'Civilization' approach in most matches.
    What I mean by this is that in the beginning everybody tries to do the *bare minimum* to stave of attacks, then once they feel they've turtled (population farmed and teched) enough, they just go with an all out rush, which leads to an incredibly long stalemate most of the time. My problem with this isn't that that's the way the game usually goes; that's perfectly fine by me, if the Devs want the game to be turtlewars, then it will be turtlewars. My issue is that this is broken so easily by people just rush teching to Barracks, then over-running their enemy and camping their base for 30 to 40 minutes before one team looses or a next map vote gets passed. This is an issue to me because given the current setup, that tactic basically looks one team into a death spiral, which is nigh impossible to break out of and it's astronomically improbably that they'll be able to counter an early rush, this also eliminates a huge selling point of the game, being that it takes the 'sandbox' from one team and replaces it with constant stone and wood farming and what basically equates to artillery shelling. Bear in mind with this long, rambling thing, I like 780, I also liked it before 780, and Beta has had these problems in some form or another the entire time, but the tech tree exacerbated this to a ridiculous scale.
    Wow, I feel like I'm talking about SC or something :p

2. Wargod-Loki

Wargod-Loki Haxor

Can't agree, i've seen the last 15 beta matches on build 781 on our BCB War Server, all the matches ended in 1-2 houres, there rarely happened a stalement, i remember the situation invaders is talking about(maybe), on one map 2 red players hided under a flooded map part, which took the blue team a shitload of time to kill them, in the meantime me and another player spawnraped the others on the edge, though... that happened in 15 games only once (spawnkill).

Also, huge castles can be bombed real quick now with a cata OR ballista(bomb ammo ftw), all in all compared to 780 is only the amount of dormitorys needed a sting in my eye.

butterscotch likes this.
  3. That depends who you are playing with.

Wargod-Loki likes this.
  4. Wargod-Loki

Wargod-Loki Haxor

well, thats very true :/

5. eamono

eamono Arsonist

there needs to be a 5 minutes build time to allow people to prepare for rushes/turtle properly

Invaders and xDeity like this.
  6. Sheesh. I just realized that a full game of KAB lasts almost as long as LoL, DotA and other MOBA games. I'm alright with the system. The problem is said turtling.
    Oh there will be those people who keep life exciting of course, like terrorists, but it happens just sometimes. I'm not yet accustomed with the new builder playstyle yet, since I'm aggresive as a builder on Alpha. Ahh well.

7. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

Good thing is that you can leave without any detriment to your 'rep' or anything.

Invaders likes this.