1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Knights being able to slash/stab/shield with bomb out leaves archers with no options

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by BucketEmpty, Feb 23, 2015.

?

Should the potential issue at hand be tweaked/reworked?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    57.4%
  1. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

How do we know you haven't used your 4 alts to taint the polls :^), anyway that wouldn't be a suggestion and I for one still don't like the shotgun archers but im not making a thread begging for their removal. Somethings are pointless to fight over
    Also it can be conceiveable the same game because the only things changed was, class movement, grappling hook for archers, triple shot for archers, knight double slashing without hiting the person first, pickaxe doing 1 heart damage, arrow stunning from any distance, and arrows doing 1.5 heart damage. Minus anything I missed listing and the items added to the game they are conceivable the same game but then again if so many things are different then the game has evolved so much it cant be the same thing ie build 1180 =/= kag but only a baby form

2. Boea

Boea Such Beta

No one likes my tweaks? Give knights a surpression item

3. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

Coming from some who talks to Geti on a regular bases, Geti tried to keep many of the games elements as close to classic as possible especially basic movement. So much so that he essentially copy pasted as much of the code as he could for distances and movement speeds. However the effects of Box2D on the game are severe and cause many unwanted behaviors. So claiming that the current version of KAG is not a direct descendant of classic is not true. Heck they share the same continued build numbers.

hierbo likes this.
  4. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

This is stupid. Beta is far from Classic: Otherwise, why keep both?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    Frogskin and Blue_Tiger like this.
  5. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Because they are, and they are trying to make something that isn't break neck slow as classic, or break neck fast in beta, but getting no real breakthroughs so options are better than nothing.

6. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Thanks for the development insight, @Verrazano. I think that when you get down to it, debating KAG build 190 and KAG build 1390 are both KAG is largely one of symantics; it doesn't matter for purposes of this discussion. Let me explain.

I think that when a person is describing something like a specific game mechanic, it is helpful to compare it to another game with the same or similar mechanic. Someone might say something like, "In King Arthur's Gold, you can mine for resources much like you can in Terraria." That comparison doesn't require KAG to be anything like Terraria (which it isn't) so long as the specific thing being described is comparable. So, when people are trying to describe a KAG game mechanic, the natural go-to is another version of KAG that contains the game mechanics being described. Whether or not they're the same game or not is not relevant in that context.

So, now that we've got that behind us, back on the subject of the game balance thingie we were talking about.

When an issue like this one, which has been brought up in various forms incessantly for what seems like years, I think its fair to say that reasonably large group of people feels there's something wrong with game balance, but not much consensus on what to do about it.

Obviously, there's also a large group that loves the status quo, and is afraid that tweaks like these will screw things up for them and their playstyle.

Given this state of affairs, we've got 2 obvious choices.

1. We can do nothing with game balance, leaving it as is. This will undoubtedly cause the status quo group to be satisfied, and the pro-tweaking group to continue to be dissatisfied.
    2. We could try tweaking, possibly causing any number of outcomes.
    • Maybe it will turn out the status quo crowd is right, and the tweaking was a bad move. If so, we can always go back to how it is today; it would be totally easy to revert something like bomb damage or knight health at any time; no harm done.
    • Maybe the tweaks upset the status quo crowd, but not the tweak crowd. If it comes to that, THD can gauge customer sentiment at that time and decide who there's more of, and either revert it not, based on that.
    • Maybe we stumble on an awesome game balance that the tweak crowd was hoping for, and upon seeing and playing it, even the status quo people are convinced, and there is widespread agreement that its better now. That would be a fine day, indeed.
    These are really about the only possible outcomes I can foresee, and lets face it, are any of them really any worse off than we are now, with all this disagreement and vitriol? We can always change it back, so there's nothing to lose.

It's common to be complacent and stick with what you have, rather than strike out into the unknown. Its much easier, much more comfortable, but it also assures that there will be no progress, good or bad. I'm just suggesting that we give tweaking a chance in hopes of finding something we ALL love; its worth it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    Noburu likes this.
  7. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

@hierbo, I was wondering: Do you even play the game?

hierbo likes this.
  8. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

I was wondering have you played classic(ive seen hierbo ingame several times also)

hierbo likes this.
  9. hierbo

Yeah, I used to play a hell of a lot, and I still play some classic and normal KAG fairly often. I also host several release KAG servers.

Come on by some time!

10. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: tweaking - for gods sake this is the whole point of the modding API, you can make changes as and when you want to see fit without waiting for/relying on/trying to convince us, and if something turns out to be great then contribute changes in a way that we can readily incorporate them. Fewer 1k+ word posts and more "balance tweak" mods would go a long way in "progress" on KAG balance.

Yes, unfortunately you will require a basic understanding of programming and the modding API to do this - however those could easily be picked up in the time spent here in circular balance discussions. We're not likely to play too much more w/ balance because we have other games we want to work on, limited hours in the day, and most balance changes tend to leave equal parties happy and dissatisfied and just tread the same ground backwards and forwards.
    You guys as a collective actually have significantly more time than us to toy with balance - so use it.

BucketEmpty and Fuzzle like this.
  11. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Question, can we easily access prior versions of the game easily, never really heard.

12. BucketEmpty

BucketEmpty Horde Gibber

Thanks for the response man! ::): I was actually going to work on a balance/tweak mod as I do have programming experience under my belt so it shouldn't be very tough, guess I will now when I get the time. I didn't realize this post would get so out of hand, but it was nice to see others opinions on it.

hierbo likes this.
  13. hierbo

Yeah, I'm always game to host and help with balance mods, but I only know enough programming to ask where the bathroom is.

Unfortunately, though there's still the un-addressed issue that modded servers seldom get any visitors, if ever, due to the general distrust or general lack of interest in mods.

There's a few exceptions, like Gather and Shiprekt, but aside from those, who get traffic due to tons of publicity, it will be an uphill climb. I'll put up the server if I can get help getting the word out.

Noburu, PUNK123 and BucketEmpty like this.
  14. Boea

Boea Such Beta

What is Gather again?

15. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: distrust/culture of noone playing mods/etc - nothing will change if it's not pushed on people. I've done all I can to be accomodating there, making quick-join join modded servers and a special quick join for joining modded servers exclusively.

Aphelions is another example of an oft-populated server fwiw - not just things like shiprekt+ and gather field players. Most players just join whatever's at the top of the browser - from what I've seen you need to get 3-4 people in there before it snow-balls, but you can always organise people from here to join and test anyway.

@Boea - no you cant get old versions without archiving them, though if you're interested in a particular file from a particular time we can of course provide it, we just need specifics. We're not likely to provide direct repository access at any time though.
    Gather is a "soft competitive" mode where people join an IRC channel and add themselves to a list of people waiting for a game (with an optional region vote). once there are enough for a game, the bot picks a server based on the region votes and everyone joins and plays. It currently uses a mod for the map generator, some coins/balance tweaks and the tickets system.

16. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I had a long rant about modded servers ready to post this morning and went to eat and when i came back wife had closed my browser and it didnt save a draft T.T

You summed up nicely enough my thoughts on the matter.

hierbo likes this.