1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Lack of players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grendell100, Feb 17, 2014.

?

Would you like to have KAG Classic on Steam as free-to-play game?

1. Yes.

69.9%
  2. No.

19.1%
  3. I don't care.

11.0%
  1. master4523

master4523 Masterful KAG Guard Global Moderator Tester
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

Moving back to Classic would be the dumbest decision they'd ever make.

As much as I like Classic, it is doomed to disappear. You're playing an abandonware, and you have to play it by the rules, which means no support from the devs. You have to deal with the bad boys by yourself.

More guards? Why? Can't you recruit more admins? Plus, it won't solve the issue with the cheaters. You could always establish a whitelist of players who can join the server, make the server gold only, make it passworded or hide it from the servers list and share the IP/password with people you trust, there's plenty of solutions. (also see: Abandonware - Community support).

Bottom line, if you really love Classic, then let it die. Later you'll probably realize it was the best thing to do.

windwizard999 and Varion like this.
  2. Bint

Bint Haxor

(▰꒦ິ︹꒦ິ▰)ノ Take my hand, bridge the gap to Beta and move on.

3. Andr01d

Andr01d Haxor

I think the best comments on classic vs beta have been from BlueLuigi who posited that Beta be called KAG 2. I mean, when a sequel comes out, lots of times people move to it, but you didn't see Blizzard getting angry when Starcraft 2 came out and people were still playing Brood War. If the game is fun, people are still going to play it, especially if it's free, or cheaper, or less resource intensive, or whatever.

If you want to discontinue support for KAG alpha by shutting down the lobby server that's certainly your choice, but I don't think it would hurt your resume and reputation to have another game under your belt that people still play, even despite the lack of updates.

Also, if classic is shut down, I will not be moving to beta, I will simply find other games to play. And in the future I might be more wary of purchasing a game that could be shelved because a new sequel has taken priority.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    Konfitur, InsaneMTL, Taiga and 3 others like this.
  4. I think that's a very poor comparison as Blizzard did a lot to actually effectively kill BW and make place for Starcraft 2

5. Andr01d

Andr01d Haxor

Sure, in the competitive scene, but they didn't stop selling it in stores. If the average Joe wanted to play BroodWar, I don't think Blizzard cared.

Lots of companies have released sequels and new games without completely shutting down the old games. The whole dynamic of new game vs old game feels very weird to me. If people wanted to play a game I wrote, I'd be fine with that. People still play Soldat, among other examples.

I don't want to seem like I'm being selfish or ungrateful, so I'll leave it at that. Thanks for the games, and I hope to see more. If that means prioritizing the new ones, I'm sure it's a decision that was made wisely.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  6. Haste

Haste Bison Rider

Ifs its about the money for the server hosting, why dont you set up a donations thing towards keeping classic alive. I would certainly donate.

7. You know what. I still can reason alot of things to you but this is just a waste anyway, no use. Guess like you guys are correct. My persuading can't be more clearer than that. the way you said just caught me under my nerves. They said there's always a solution to anything, but devs caught this situation in such a headache that they ditch kag to dead.

Trust me, if kag classic dies, i'm just going to limit my time on kag, promise that (not threatening or being a douche, im just saying in case you guys mis-understand). It's the devs decision anyway, ill let you guys move on.

Ofc I would never ask you to move back to kag classic... if i were the devs i wouldn't move back to the old game, its so obvious! You should remember that from the start of the conversation. I'm just persuading you to find a way that can help classic to be a part of kag community. Not to be forgotten. If that was too much to ask for, then fine, shouldn't talk anything more about this

I think I annoyed the devs right now, maybe i just stop asking you guys. Sorry for that, Geti and Master. Your reply was helpful.

8. Chumind

Chumind Bison Rider

We admins can't ban hackers... They change IP and they come back. At least add Username ban.

Konfitur likes this.
  9. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

If you want namebanning and are using kscript, write a kscript command to add the username to denyjoin seclev and reload seclevs. This kind of thing is what master is talking about with community support. There will not be patches for classic, and there will not be perpetual ban support for classic - guards can't nameban either, they have to ferry a report through us and then that report has to be checked and enacted - by that time the hacker has a new account and is back causing mischief. tbh, without a paywall you'll never see the last of them.

@Andr01d - I'm not angry that people are still playing it, I'm frustrated that they continue to ask for support on an alpha version of a game that was sold with multiple disclaimers that things could change, and continue to live in a separate, largely antagonistic community. I'm not the one who's established the "us vs them" mentality when it comes to classic.

Re: being wary of buying things in alpha - you should be! Personally I'm trying to move away from that sort of model because it causes headaches for us when people don't want things to change, and headaches for the people who don't want the things to change. We went with alpha funded development this time because we literally couldn't afford to do it any other way, both MM and I are supported solely by development and obviously couldn't afford to go without feedback (or money!) for 3 years straight.

If we can find a development model where we get the game design properly "sorted" before its anyone's hands and make that work, we'll be going for it, but we need a way to ensure that it works on a large scale as well, and that generally involves showing a lot of people. Remember that KAG was released after only 30 days in development - and even by build 80 we had people being sad about mechanics changing. In this most recent KAG build we've had people at loggerheads over which way the game should be balanced - over a thousand days since the game's inception. It's definitely not a particularly stable model, but it does have the advantage of being able to react to feedback as it comes and obviously has a much wider testing surface than internal testing. We're still trying to find a good balance.

Mazey and Humblar_Tabulu like this.
  10. Alpaca

Alpaca Haxor

Classic = Super Smash Bro's Melee
    Beta = Super Smash Bro's Brawl

gg noobs.

11. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

But SSBM has always been way better mechanics-wise than SSBB. And I definitely like Beta more, so I disagree.

12. Toad311

Toad311 Haxor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure that was Alpaca's point.

Alpaca likes this.
  13. Oldatra

Oldatra Bison Rider
    1. Delta Force - Delta

I really dont get it, why do you just want to move away from Classic.. The game is great.
    How does that even work? If we love classic then let it die? Its a good game, although it has some bugs, hackers, etc. its still good.. Many of you will agree that we payed for KAG Classic, not Beta that ruined many of my favourite things , such as Parkour, Bomb Timer or the movement... The fact that people can run Classic on literally any kind of computer is amazing.

One more thing,over 80 people voted for Classic to be on Steam,so why dont you want to put it there? Sorry if someone already answered this, but simple answer would do.

14. We want things to change, literally.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 22, 2014, Original Post Date: Aug 22, 2014 ---
    One thing, you devs can get our feedback to help you to move on. With our feedback, maybe you'll gain money. Who knows.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 22, 2014 ---
    Never ask for your support, we ask for your contribution so that we can develop the game.
    Your not the only one who's frustrated, we all do.
    We community are all one, not a separate group.
    You guys can still move on with beta, we are not asking you to stop on beta or go back to classic...
    There's a definition between growing kag classic reputation and forcing devs to develop alpha meanwhile theres beta that they have to deal with.
    My self, love classic and can't let it go, we all have passion in classic (It's like saying playing counter strike 1.6 is good just like counter strike global offensive.)
    We can wait, for as long as we could, waiting that some day that we can play with our friends in kag classic again, the memories we had. I would never accept classic to die. With beta under your development, i gotta say you guys did a really excellent job, you deserve it!

Humblar_Tabulu, Toad311 and Oldatra like this.
  15. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

*whoosh*
    Pretty much.

16. Harmony

Harmony Shopkeep Stealer

Most relevant question! Free to play with hook, line and stinker business dynamics is what makes the money, not "o there's this old alpha you can play for free but please shell out ten bucks to play the beta". Both are worthless digital products and still incomplete whatever way you look at them.

Here's an idea though, why not polish up classic and release it on steam? You'd be killing two birds with one stone and ending the one thousand more days of people asking why don't you just take some time and fix it already. If you have the resources and time to work on one project here, another little bit of this on that, etc. then just bite the bullet and lead us to water. I mean, you guys are "solely supported by development" but you couldn't have taken any of those 500 days you've spent away from classic and just hammered it out?

The point is: Classic might be a dead horse, but it's your dead horse. We're gonna beat it until you revive it. It's a brilliant precursor to an otherwise bloated reiteration and it runs on most rigs. There's still some undying love left for it. The community is still not getting the heads up to revive it either.

So are you just asking us to forget about classic? Forget about what led most of us to the game in the first place, let alone beta? Forget every single change that got us to a pretty balanced classic experience (o I remember those bomb jumps back in the day mhm)? Forget everything up to 500 days ago? Forget about ever seeing something else happen with classic? Forget about ever getting fixes or being able to make fixes?

But the biggest question is: How long is it before the same tragedy befalls beta?

Challenge: fix it and put it on steam and I will buy it (I did vote yes even though it being on steam probably won't do anything lol)
    or you could just get a real job if you want more money, you know

Haste likes this.
  17. Haste

Haste Bison Rider

Nintendo didnt stop selling mario 1 just because they made mario 2. Mario 1 came as a game with the snes when you bought it, so people could be interested in their future titles. Why would you ditch a game that will still sell and make people happy? We dont even need the source code.
    Im glad harmony finally brought up the system issue, Kag classic is the only game that runs fine on my computer, and for many others as well.
    Beta taxes the computer at least 3 times harder, i lower my resolution to the minimum, non full screen and i still get a lot of lag depending on how my people are in the server.
    The people sticking to calssic love it for its simplicity and arcade-y action. Its formula is perfected, its like playing a good couch coop game with your friends, except its an online game.

Classic also still gets a good amount of players a night, despite what people say and think. ive seen it spike to more than 60. which is enough people to full my 32 slot server. To say there isnt anyone play kag is wrong, its like saying we arent people, and arent good enough to keep a game going for.
    Theres always at least one server full/almost full at all times.
    The fact that people say classic is dying aids in its death. By them saying that they already volunteered themselves in thinking that the game is actually going to die.

Am i wrong, or after the master server goes down, wont we still be able to connect via ip? Or does kag check usernames through the master server first or something?

If i am wrong, what is wrong with the idea of a donations bin to keep classic running?
    Something is very wrong if that idea is dismissed.

Harmony likes this.
  18. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

I'm just worried that devs don't want to go back to classic, because it's a free game.

PussyDestroyer and Harmony like this.
  19. Harmony

Harmony Shopkeep Stealer

20. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

because "80 people" voting on a forum for the release of an old prototype game on steam is neither profitable nor useful in any term or way. steam is very picky in what type of games you can allow to be put on the market (even if they're free).
    the moment classic was made free was when the development team thought it better to start putting their work, time, and effort into the newer, updated KAG instead of KAG classic. almost anyone i've ever asked that's gotten into release, even if they're completely new to the game, has had an immense dislike for classic. geti and the team have no obligation to fix up classic and release on steam, so if you want "old, alive KAG" back up you actually need to get yourselves grouped up and fix the problems yourself. companies work for reputation, and in the overview profit; 1% of the profit coming from the old version is not enough to put more time and effort into it.

Apronymous and Ej like this.