1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Let's make our own balanced KAB

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ardivaba, May 6, 2013.

1. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Honestly, I find water to be not that much fun. I mean the occasional lake map is ok but for the most part I find that water-less maps lead to more intense games, allow for a wider range of strategies, and actually have a pretty good possibility of one team winning (unlike the infinite stall of water maps).

I definitely advocate little puddles at base to fill buckets, and maybe the possibility for shark-filled moats, but the center should be mostly dry IMO.

2. I think i will try to implement Kag Classic's water...while true, it wasn't that sophisticated, it was more fun. I'll see if i can make it happen and how it works out.

If that water would be volumetric, eg it would have fixed volume, so you could put all your water into huge pit, instead of copying it to the pit, now that would be fun water. (But unfortunately not going to happen without HUUUUUUGE performance issues)

3. MINIMAN

MINIMAN Shark Slayer

When dead, not being able to see the opposing teams defences/base. Only being able to see what their team has explored.
    (add)

4. Almost impossible to implement, without severe performance issues.

5. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

What about following living players instead?

Ardivaba likes this.
  6. Do you enjoy BDSM too?

also ditto on what contrary said

AnRK, Chrispin and Vaine like this.
  7. Chrispin

Chrispin KAG Guard Tester

Classic water would make games even more stalematey, but there is one concept from Classic's water system that is superior to the current one; the ability for the water level to rise and fall. To implement this, you could just have water source blocks in the middle of the lake rise when high tide comes in. This way you can protect your base from floods. For low tide, it would be nice to have an "air source" block that spreads "air" in an exactly opposite direction that water travels. It would spread horizontally and upwards. When placed on the top layers of the lake, the water level would fall in the lake but nowhere else unless you expose your base to this "air source". This way you can have little puddles high up in your base with no risk that they could flood the entire level. When high tide comes back in, all "air sources" are removed so that water may once again spread freely as water sources appear on top of the lake. I may draw a concept for this later so that everyone gets the idea.

Alternatively you could just outright remove the top layers of water across the entire map. This however, would give the effect of evaporating water puddles that are completely separate from the lake.

Vaine likes this.
  8. Vaine

Vaine Horde Gibber

Here's a solution then.

Add in tides, according to time of day in-game.

At evening/night, it's high tides, bases may get a little flooded, water level rises.
    In the morning/afternoon, it's low tide, the water recedes, water level drops.

9. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

instead of removing water or making classic water, remove its infinity.

VanHuek and Kovett like this.
  10. Zuboki

Zuboki KAG Guard Tester

Additional Storages and Barracks have increased costs depending on how many are currently built/in crates. I'm thinking 100-300-500-800-1000 for storages, and a less intense 75-150-250-400-500 for barracks. For example,
    1. The first builder build a storage near the edge of the map, for 100 wood.
    2. He decides a second up on the coast would be useful, and builds it there at a cost of 300 wood.
    3. Another builder wants to stack storages for more supplies, and builds another by the edge of the map for 500 wood. However, he is stymied by the next incremental cost (800 wood), and instead goes off to do something useful like build a factory.
    4. A freak satchel accident burns down the back two storages. A builder buys a replacement at a cost of 300 wood (since only on exists), but doesn't set it up. It stays in a crate on the gorund.
    5. The front lines have captured the center island, and another builder decides to erect a storage there. The cost would be 500, since there's one existant storage and one in a crate.

Ardivaba, I3lue and GloriousToast like this.
  11. Contrary

Interesting notion, though I'd like to hear the reasoning behind the suggestion. I've seen a couple of storage silos though I haven't paid that much attention. Is it that powerful?

Additionally I'd like to suggest removing tree climbing. It literally does nothing positive for the game while bringing many negatives.

One could say that it adds mobility to archers, allowing them to infiltrate enemy buildings in order to lay down satchels or whatever. However any mobility dynamics that tree climbing adds arrow climbing does far better. Arrow climbing takes some actually skill, has interesting dynamics around arrow management and placement, and doesn't rely on there are arbitrarily being trees around. All tree climbing does is making arches stupidly difficult to hit if there happens to be tree around when this is clearly not needed or beneficial to the game.

Tree climbing is stupid and bad and dumb and terrible and stupid and please make it go away. >:(

Rainbows, Monsteri, Cpa3y and 6 others like this.
  12. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

It's good in Classic, but it's unnecessary in Beta, partly because of the improved mobility of all classes, but also because, at this time, archers seem powerful enough that that sort of feature just boosts them further.

My only regret would be the joy at firing an arrow from a tree, and seeing my little stubby archer arms poking out to make the shot. :')

13. Chrispin

The way tree climbing works currently isn't all that useful because of:
    1.) how hard it is to stay in the tree
    2.) how there are so few opportunities to use this strategy given that nobody plants trees anywhere besides maybe that obscure pit in the back of your base

I would like to see more strategic use coming out of trees however. Otherwise trees are just those things we wish we wouldn't have to plant in order to get some damn wood already. They'd also be ineficient arrow factories, but nobody gets arrows from trees anymore lol (that is sooo last game :rollseyes: ). I'm thinking it might be more fun if seeds were just randomly distributed, taking away some of the annoying micro and forcing trees onto the front lines where they can be exploited, burnt, used as weapons, or what have you. To make standing on trees easier while not slowing down an archer's downward vertical movement, they could just act as ladders where pressing down makes you fall, instead of just continuously falling. To counteract any OPness archers may experience, we could add back in what I like to call "shaking the tree". You hit the tree, archers fall out like apples, you kill them, ????, then profit. Did I mention trees should burn?

I don't want to see a potentially interesting part of the emergent gameplay of KAG Beta be lost just because a bunch of people yell "ARCHER OP!11".

Vaine and I3lue like this.
  14. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

In relation to the idea that trees are always just annihilated without thought by most players, would the possibility of the tree leaving it's roots be plausible? That way, a stump would remain, and the tree has the potential to regrow over time. This is basically just a continuation of Chrispin's point about the goddamn annoying micro-management of trees that is considerably easier in a small scale game, but not so when you have a team full of unpredictable and generally confusing players.

To accommodate buildings, the stump could still be removable, probably as you would a block or a shop of some kind. Hit it for a while, see it getting worn down, until it final breaks, giving the individual wood for his troubles.

15. Chrispin

^^^^ Very good idea. ^^^^

This is how I imagined plantable trees to work in the first place, given how I've been begging for them since long before whispers of a "KAG Scripting Build" ever reached my metaphorical ears. I thought you would just plant them once and be done with it until someone decides to remove the stump.

16. Contrary

Maybe trees could have fruit that can be taken to the kitchen or that can be allowed to fall and grow a new tree?

Planting is pretty annoying, I often find myself having to spend a couple minutes tossing seeds around as no one else is doing it.

Canadian98, Apronymous and rocker2 like this.
  17. This is extremely annoying specially when all the trees are cut down and all wood is spent.
    If i then proceed to destroy some useless factories so that i could buy nursery, people votekick me for griefing.
    Stump staying is very good idea.

I have been coding quite alot...most probably going to host test server today. I would like to do initial test with people from this thread and keep ignorant (not meant as insult...) players away to reduce "Archers are too weak" spam.

When i implemented the feature of having to feed resources to factories i quickly saw that there will be huge lack of wood and since most people don't bother to plant seeds, games would grow very, very long because it would take some time before any team could / bother build ships to attack.

Trees leaving stump totally fixes that issue. And initial test will be done on waterless map, i'll cook up some "temporary" well for buckets (against fire).

16th likes this.
  18. 16th

16th Bison Rider

More gravity for all please. Knights look more like spacemans.

19. Cpa3y

Cpa3y Shark Slayer

Whats's wrong with gravity? Possible you played on some low-gravity servers.

20. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

i choose 9 for gravity, almost same as default, only difference is that you can walljump with parachute and slowly go up.

Kovett likes this.