1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Locked tree-farms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 8x, May 10, 2015.

1. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

but for what benifit?

2. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Well, the idea has obviously its flaws and its virtues. And you can always wait for the saplings to grow so as the seeds not the be grabbed when you want ot move the sawmill. I think the idea is good only for specific situations, and bad for others: of course, if you got these 5 dog knights bomjumping into your base and fucking it up, you can't dedicate yourself to make a treefarm with 2 or more sawmills, or big traps; or if what the team needs is all the builders to push, then don't waste your time making a badass treefarm.

What has bothered me most in this sort of things, is players robbing sawmills from the treefarms and going into battle with them, just for the sake of fun, or because they're trolling again and again. And sometimes there's like 4 builders that get 1 or 2 trees everytime they spawn: that's when having 2 sawmills or more is efficient. It takes resources and some time to create, but I think it needs to be done to gain some advantage in terms of materials, in certain matches or episodes.

3. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Yea that's another benefit, a forumer might know what tree farms are but your teammates cannot be trusted not to do something incredibly stupid

This won't stop a determined asshole but can make it more trouble than it would otherwise be

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  4. makmoud98

This isn't always a problem for me. If you just make one and it doesn't get stolen then it's all good. If it does get stolen, then just make that second saw that you would've made earlier anyway. If you tell your team not to steal it anymore then you should be ok.
    This has happened before, but it sounds to me that the problem isnt waiting for your turn with the saw; instead, its waiting for the tree to regrow. This just means you need more trees, not more saws. You can have more trees without needing more saws, but if you want more trees and also have the "locked tree farms", then you will need even more saws.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 13, 2015, Original Post Date: May 13, 2015 ---
    Most players will understand how tree farms work pretty soon. It's not rocket science. Once they see a player using it, they will understand its use and probably leave it alone.

5. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Suppose it comes down to how much you trust your teammates. As a builder on a public server, I tend to view them as less dependable creeps from a MOBA.

Your job as a builder is to herd, supply, and defend these morons in the general direction of the other team's flag, hoping they retrieve it with their animal cunning. Occasionally there's another player you can count on, but mostly it's just retarded creeps. One of them is swearing and shouting orders in teamchat, but everybody ignores him because his name is Barbarossa.

This is also why traps are useless unless for laughs - killing is the job of your creeps, they waste time you could be supporting your creeps, and they are too easily countered by enemy creeps.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
    Blue_Tiger, Corpsey, tru0067 and 3 others like this.
  6. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Saw farms.jpg

There is always time/room/resources for more saws. MORE I SAY! !!! :rektlord: :gear:
    ---
    @PeggleFrank: well played, sir. Well played. :log:
    ---

Just about got thrown out of the library for laughing too loud/hard. So true it hurts. :potato:

7. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

yea like since when is this game so desperate, so serious, that you cant afford an extra saw or two. the fuck else were you gonna use mats on?

8. makmoud98

>>implying that there is nothing else you can do with your mats except make saws

blackjoker77777 likes this.
  9. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

>> no fun allowed

10. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

> how to greentext?

11. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

Used this on Aus Official CTF. It got Dar's seal of approval. In other words it is amazeballs-genius-op-pls-nerf-unbalanced-rek-godly

12. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

>implying there is something else you can do with mats except make saws :potato:

impasse0.jpg

13. orange_otter_01

orange_otter_01 Ballista Bolt Thrower

we have a thing called build time in the real world.

14. makmoud98

ok, so would you rather spend the entire build phase making a stupid saw design, instead of using the time to build a tower in the front or add a few layers to your flag room. there isn't enough benefit to make up for what you lose.

15. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Makmoud is a broken person concerned only with efficiency, please forgive

16. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

"Man, I hate it when people steal the saw from the tree farm, then I have to buy more saws"

"I know, I'll just buy multiple saws right at the beginning and make it so nobody can steal them!"

17. kittycity

kittycity Haxor

This whole design is terribly inefficient and flawed. its only good if you only have one tree... even then its still terrible in case the logs miss the hole..

why make 5 saws when you only need one

18. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Bison Rider Staff Alumni Donator Tester

Locked tree farms are pretty bad because the logs don't always fall down the hole which can waste a good amount of wood. They also take up a lot more resources that could be used in much better ways. In addition, they take up a ton of space and could easily be destroyed by a keg. Honestly, they're a cool idea but i would hate seeing people wasting their time on something like this during a match. I'd rather see people spawning mats everytime they respawn and putting them in storage.

19. FuzzyBlueBaron

SAW TOWERS ARE THE WAY OF THE FUTURE!!!

:blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::gear:
    :blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::gear:
    :hammer::rekt::bird::blank::gear::blank::sword::QQ:

SirDangalang, Blue_Tiger and EhRa like this.
  20. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

This design is best implemented when there is 1-2 trees. Any more and the need to buy additional saws outweighs the bonus of it being immovable. Enough said. That's its niche. Why hate on it for a reason that is only applicable when you take it out of its niche. Its like saying puppies are bad because they can't fly. Sure they can't fly but they're still adorable.

8x likes this.