1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a disconnection-resistant multiplayer game

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Fate, Jan 13, 2013.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

Recently my internet connection has been very buggy, causing my connection to reset every once in a while (20min to few hours) for 1 second and up to 30 seconds. I am asking for your help to find a game that matches the following specs:

* Online MP
    * Disconnection-resistant (aka you don't get instantly disconnected when connection actually breaks). So, I guess the game will be turn-based.
    * Bonus points if it's some sort of an RPG.
    * Does not require graphics (may be some kind of D&D "tabletop" game)

2. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

3. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

I tried it, but the game was full of bots farming for resources and spamming trade channels, which pretty much ruins the gameplay. Any other ideas, anybody?

4. HardPenguin

HardPenguin Horde Gibber

Don't know about disconnection resistance in all of those but turn-based nice games I played:
    - Frozen Synapse (paid, tactical)
    - Wakfu (partially free, MMORPG)
    - Hedgewars (free, very decent clone of Worms)
    - Toribash (free, fighting strategy[?])
    - Pokemon Online (free, pokemon duels, this one http://pokemon-online.eu/)

Fate likes this.
  5. AL3X_j_M

AL3X_j_M Shipwright

Warhammer 40k is a cool turned base game on the VASSAL engine (free, you couldn't pay except for a donation which there isn't even a status for); furthermore, VASSAL is a cool turn based tabletop game engine, but it's not that popular.

This is one of those games where you need your friends to play it :(. I actually learned all the rules and the actual lore behind Warhammer 40k, just not interested in playing over the internet.

Supremacy 1914: http://www.supremacy1914.com/index.php?id=188&lp=5&lpv=1&L=0
    "Real time", your soldiers take a solid 9 hours to travel anywhere. DO NOT Play one game at a time, this game is best played with 3-10 matches at once (anymore than 10 and you have to check hourly). It's got either 12 players fighting for Europe in 1914, or 40 some players fighting for North/South America, Europe, and Africa.
    Disconnections are *not* going to prevent gameplay, unless they're every few seconds.

Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe, the community was flooded by 12 year olds when some youtubers got a hand on it, but it's a totally free, simple, and fun tycoon game. If you get disconnected, not a single f*** is given, and you reconnect.

If you don't like these, I hear Neopets is still pretty fun.

arcanecat and Fate like this.
  6. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

This is actually really helpful. Thank you very much, definitely going to check out the Vassal engine (and the modules) and Supremacy.

AL3X_j_M likes this.
  7. StarCraft: Brood War

Froghead48, PumpkingSlice, -Q and 2 others like this.
Mods: BlueLuigi