1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Making a Indie Game?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Sarac112, Aug 16, 2011.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Sarac112

Sarac112 Guest

Anyone can point me to tutorials how to make a indie game, sidescrolling shooter specificly...
    I am full of ideas and I'm thinking of making my own 1 man indie game creation group which will create by teaming with others.
    As soon as i figure it out ill start a project and share more details of what i have in mind... :)

2. Lizardheim

Lizardheim Guest

Step 1: make a sidescrolling shooter
    Step 2: (this is the most important part) Don't cash in on it through a publisher.
    Step 3: ??
    Step 4: Profit.

3. t0rchic

t0rchic Drill Rusher

You don't use tutorials. No offense, but seeing this makes me immediately assume it will come out as a piece of junk. With indie games (and most other games really) you use your preexisting programming knowledge (and learn a bit more along the way). You don't use a "tutorial" to make a full blown game.

4. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Game Maker is pretty easy. I could and have made little shmups in it. You can use the little drag and drop icons if you don't want to deal with scripting and/or are dumb (like me).

5. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

The easiest way to make an indie game would be to *cough cough* legally obtain Game Maker. I'd suggest getting GM8 since 8.1 is just terrible. You could take the time to learn Java, which is universally accepted on just about every machine, but it isn't quite as easy to make a game with that.

Either way, the first step is to learn a programming language. Look up a guide, learn the basics, then crack open the source of a game made in that language and see what makes it tick. I personally believe it's easier to learn through modding than anything.

6. Sarac112

Sarac112 Guest

I already got some knowledge about making games... Everything i know from using many different programs, writing scripts, 3d modeling to making my own textures, etc and implanting it in various games is self learned. I'm already known for making my own modifications on various websites...
    I'm planing to spend a lot of time learning coding and I'll even try to ask EE for some help.

After some time I'm possitive i will be able to bring something interesting. ;)

7. HA1TER

HA1TER Shopkeep Stealer

Good luck man!If you have enough interest in something,it could happen.If not,you will quit in 5 days...

8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

If you know about programming modelling and texturing then just program some of these 3D models that move around the screen when you press buttons. That's what a game is, pictures and sounds that change when you do stuff (or don't do stuff).

If you're actually just a modder and don't have the know how to compile a program then google "flash game dojo" or "Tetris in C++" or "Simple open source openGL sidescroller" and see where that takes you. Tutorials won't take you very far with this sort of thing as all they can show you is how to go about the implementation side of things. You still have to have the innovative streak to make an entire game with the skills learnt there.

Mods: BlueLuigi