1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Map design contest - $20 Steam Giftcard prize

Discussion in 'Old Events/Giveaways/Contests' started by Darksteel, Sep 5, 2016.

?

Who was your favorite map-maker for this contest?

1. PUNK123

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. SJD360 [TENSHI]

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Joshua12131415

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Cobramuziek86

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Bunnie

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. They were all pretty good.

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. There were only one or two maps I liked, so no map-maker stood out to me.

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  8. I'm not Australian, so I can't play on your laggy-ass server, I will never know.

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  1. Darksteel

Darksteel The see me Boulderin', they hatin'. Donator
    1. Australians United Stand Strong - AUSS - (Invite Only)

This is a call-out to any map makers still active in the KAG community, I'm in need of some new maps for my server; AUS 5v5 CTF.

Why: Because currently my server is just running the vanilla rotation, it get's old. I would like several interesting new maps.

Requirements: Must be designed for CTF.
    Maps need multiple paths between bases, at least two.
    Flags are not allowed to be placed outside the build-zone, and must be placed at least 5 blocks away from it.
    You may not place two flags immediately next to each other.
    You may include your name in the map, but only if it is done in a non-obstructive way.
    Design it for 5 a side matches.

Reward: First place receives a $20AUD Steam Giftcard, (which is about $13-$14 USD), to spend on whatever the hell you want. [And VIP on the server.]

Second place receives applause, and VIP status on my server.

Third receives no applause, just VIP on the server.

Judging: I will assign several judges to this, and all maps that meet the requirements will be used in rotation on my server during the judging period. Each category is graded 1-10, with the highest score being the winner.

Judging categories:
    Level of Fun: Personal taste, differs from judge to judge.
    Level of Competitiveness: How balanced the map is, mainly, how difficult it is to just steamroll the opponent, also covers resource placement.
    Unique-ness: As it says on the tin, the more interesting your map is, the better!
    Aesthetics: How pretty the map is.
    Versatility: How your map can be changed mid-combat.

Try to find balance, the prettiest of maps will not necessarily be the most fun to play on, so aim the map to what you think is more important.

Judges:
    * Ava [SuperSoldier98]
    * Cruxiat [Lord_Cruxiat]
    * Darksteel

^Will be updated regularly.

There is no limit to how many maps may be submitted, but you can only win one prize.

Points will be deducted if you submit a map that is already on the forums, to encourage new map development.

Competition closes on: https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20160920T17&p0=:&msg=Map+Contest+End&font=serif&csz=1

Contest is considered void if there are less than five entrants. [People, not maps.]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  2. AvadaKedav

AvadaKedav Bison Rider Staff Alumni Donator

I would like to be a judge :D

3. Lava

Lava Former Lag King Staff Alumni Donator Tester

I might make a few maps

4. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

5. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

fuck off i was already typing a message.

also: @daskew87 , @SJD360 , @8x ,
    No, never awesome.
    The meaning of the first statement is hazy.
    Good though 8 blocks is a tad bit tedious.
    Good fuck those maps man.

Vamist likes this.
  6. SJD360

SJD360 Haxor

@PUNK123 Better up your game Punk. <3

7. BarsukEughen555

BarsukEughen555 Ballista Bolt Thrower

8. SJD360

SJD360 Haxor

First!

Map name: Apocalypse
    Gamemode: CTF
    Symmetrical: Nope

Level of Fun: Floodable, pits, and so forth, not too complex but twisted enough to last a while.
    Level of Competitiveness: The only asymmetric things in this map are the flora and the rocks in the centre, it could be very competitive if played right.
    Unique-ness: This map is fairly boring in my opinion, I rushed it thus I didn't really add anything outstanding.
    Beauty: My maps are always beautiful.
    Versatility: The map can be flooded from a small pocket of water in the centre, thus changing combat drastically.

Map File:
    Apocalypse.png

[​IMG]

Previews!
    screen-16-09-05-22-25-03.png screen-16-09-05-22-24-28.png screen-16-09-05-22-23-24.png

9. Darksteel

This was just an example, and by no means what I am explicitly looking for, it's more a broad term for how adaptable the map is, and how many different ways it could be played out, I will actually change the description, because it seems like people have gotten the wrong idea.

Alright, so, clearing up the first part, you must have multiple paths leading from one base to another, this could be anything from floating islands and a lake, to a mountain and a tunnel through it.

Looks awesome, I'll be loading that up on 5v5 later today to see how it plays.

I don't have permission to view this.

SJD360 likes this.
  10. Cruxiat

Cruxiat Haxor Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

I'd be happy to judge courses that comes our way. Sign me up!

11. PUNK123

fakifiknow.png

"up". You mean somehow make worse map for the sake of versatility, "fun", or "beauty" ha lol no ill just take last place and celebrate with the glorious wooden spoon(bet u wont get that reference)

blackjoker77777 likes this.
  12. Darksteel

No one expects you too deduct from your design to suit all the categories, getting 10 in only 2 categories would probably place you pretty high.

Anyway, nice map, I'll be running that one later today on my server, you should stop by!

"fakifiknow" meets all the requirements and seems well balanced, plus it looks like it could lead to some serious fun.

And I didn't get the reference. :QQ:

PUNK123 likes this.
  13. joshua12131415

joshua12131415 Bison Rider Tester

Instead of judges why not add a poll? :D

SJD360 likes this.
  14. SJD360

SJD360 Haxor

I like that idea.

15. Darksteel

Eh, we will see, I guess it depends on how many maps get submitted, I was doing it this way because people who visit my server aren't very likely to peruse the forums.

16. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I present two maps i'd like to have on official servers but are different of what's expected. They're both caves, and are better played with a low amount of players (perhaps 5 v 5 is too low however). With 10 v 10, or more it's a blast, with feelings from anger to bitter joy. These two are modifications of maps found in my map-pack. The second one, Pass_Fest, specially offers a face to face battle, where you can't hardly bombjump, run away, or use siege vehicles. I would also call it The Battle of the Goblins.
    (The bottlenecks actually have 2 paths in Pass fest; it can be tweaked a bit if it's not enough too)

Brinks_Cave.png (Brinks_Cave)

Pass_Fest.png (Pass_Fest)

Zoomed (click on the image below)
    zoomed.png

I guess i can modify some more to be 5 v 5ish. I feel also this map-making madness can't be all good after all.

17. Darksteel

this map looks cool, and I'll put it in with the other contestants!
    This map doesn't meet the requirements however.

Reason: Only one path to the enemy base, easily camp-able at bottleneck in mid.
    The only problem is the middle, however, were you to alter that a bit, I think this map would be fun too.

Jeez, I know it's supposed to be a nose, but me and everyone else on the server can't unsee it as a penis.
    Dirty minded lot we are.

PUNK123 and joshua12131415 like this.
  18. PUNK123

Youre giving me waaaaaaaay too much credit.

mememap.png

If it is somehow too distracting from gameplay though you could just fill it with dirt backwall.

19. joshua12131415

joshua12131415 Bison Rider Tester

20. Lava

Lava Former Lag King Staff Alumni Donator Tester