1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Read this first! Map Making FAQ

Discussion in 'Maps' started by jackitch, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackitch

jackitch :(){ :|: & };: Global Moderator Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Map-making FAQ

Below are a few common questions, problems, and solutions that may help you to avoid problems with your KAG maps.

Question:
    Why won't my map load correctly?

Answer:
    The most common reason that a map won't load correctly is due to a property called 'bit depth'. The bit depth required for KAG maps using a .png file extension is 24 bit.
    You can check whether your map is at the correct bit depth by right-clicking your PNG file in Windows Explorer and hitting 'Properties' at the bottom of the dropdown menu. Click the 'Details' tab and you should see a menu like this:
    PNG_detail_menu.png
    If you would like to understand a little bit more about bit depths, read the spoiler below.
    The reason KAG uses 24 bit png's is simple. Three colors are used to make all others: red, green, and blue (RGB). Each of the three 'primary' colors uses 8 bits of 'depth', therefore 3 colors x 8 bits is a total bit depth of 24. >> KAG uses a bit depth of 24.
    If you map is not loading correctly, it may be that your bit depth has been saved at 32 bit instead of 24. The reason 32 bit png's don't work is due to the alpha channel, or transparency. When a PNG map is saved with transparency, the bit depth becomes 32 (RGBA) instead of 24 (RGB) since the file uses another 8 bits to store data for the transparency. Since KAG maps cannot contain any transparency, 32 bit PNG's do NOT work in KAG.
    Here's another helpful source *click here* that explains the differences between bit depths.

Question:
    Will using an incorrect color cause the same problem as the first question?

Answer:
    Using an incorrect color will cause the tile to default to 'air' or 'sky'. Don't bother checking every pixel in your map, it's a waste of time. Check your bit depth first.

Question:
    How tall do I need to make my trees? Will it make any difference?

Answer:
    The decision is up to you, however, the trees will randomly assign heights once spawned. If you so choose, you can simply place single pixels where you would like to have trees and they will automatically grow to a reasonable height when the map loads.

Question:
    What is the quickest way to fix a map and check to see if the changes worked?

Answer:
    This may not work correctly for scripted maps. You do not need to restart your KAG client or your server to make map changes. Once the map has been loaded, the server will not access the map file again. Therefore, it is safe to edit the map and reload it ingame after saving your changes.

Question:
    How many different blocks can I use in a KAG map? Can I make items spawn on a new map as well?

Answer:
    You can use many different blocks on a KAG map. The colors assigned to each block and item that you can use are contained in the BasePNGLoader.as file in Base\Scripts\MapLoaders\

Question:
    Where can I find color palettes to make maps?

Answer:
    There is an expansive list contained in this resource.

Please PM me if you find any errors or if you have any other questions or concerns that may be useful to add to the list.

KingChaos, Withror, MnMixer and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.