1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Read this first! Map Making Tutorial old

Discussion in 'Maps' started by Wonka, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titmau5

Titmau5 Bison Rider Staff Alumni

Hi everyone! I'm having some major issues with my map....so I did what you said and saved the map into the console, put the custom map into my map cycle etc. etc. but when the map loads on my server and I respawn, I fall from the sky in the middle of the map continuously. So I looked in my console and it read "(Rcon) No respawn point found for runner (team 0)" I never messed with the tents or anything around the tents. Any idea why this is happening?

2. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Attach your map to a post on here so I can look at it.

3. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

You need to set spawns for the teams.

4. Titmau5

@ Rayne, how do you set spawns?

Attached Files:

5. Rayne

This is from the first post, did you even read it? :l

Now lets talk about the tents!
    Because of some kind of debug, cause tents sometimes stick into the ground, I always put tents one tile above the ground and between the tent and the ground there is one tile background, which you won't see on the server.
    [​IMG]

6. Titmau5

Of course I read it! :p I thought he was only talking about using paint.net, or other programs like that when making maps. I was making mine on my server which already had tents.

...I'm sorry if I sound stupid, this is all new to me.

7. Rayne

You don't sound stupid: You can't add tents ingame.
    Don't worry about it ;P I'm just a little frustrated with nobody actually reading the post, I still get pms about how to load the map ingame, even though there's a sticky about it.

8. Titmau5

I understand. People and there lazy ways. But I definitely read this entire post multiple times before commenting! Lol And every time I re-read this post, everything seemed to get more confusing!

But anyways, I did figure out the problem. After 14 HOURS of trying to figure out what was wrong, I finally figured out how to edit my map in paint.net...and how to load the correct color panel in...which then lead to me realizing my tent colors were wrong! X3 I feel so silly. Thank you so much for all your help! :thumbs_up: Now I can make beautiful maps :migrant: View attachment 2947

Rayne likes this.
  9. bobsterman123

bobsterman123 Shipwright

Well. I can't seem to find out how to open up the actual map file. I've saved the maps in right folder and everything I know you you said you don't need premium but I'm wondering if theres a different way for premium to open maps? Sorry for any inconvenience.

-Kyle

10. Noburu

In game bring down the console with the home key and type /loadbitmap filename for .png maps and /loadmap filename for .kag files.

11. bobsterman123

bobsterman123 Shipwright

HE I've made a map in paint.NET 24 bit depth and all that jazz it works great until I try to mine, I destroy a block and the whole crashes to the ground. Thany you fro your time.

Kyle

if this helps heres the map map1.png

12. Noburu

Just tried it and when you break a dirt block the whole MAP collapses. Try added a layer of bedrock to the bottom of the map.

EDIT: Also its good practice to place spawns one tile off of the ground with a dirt backwall between it and the ground.

13. bobsterman123

bobsterman123 Shipwright

Well I just tried this with 2 layers of bedrock and the same result maybe I'm doing something wrong with the bedrock? just in case heres the update .png map1.png

Kyle

14. Noburu

I dont know I have made a lot of maps similar and not had this happen. The only thing I can think of is to try and maybe add a few dirt background caves in the dirt.

15. Rayne

I would just make it bigger, personally.

16. were some of the colors changed with the last build? seems to me that either my color chart on paint.net is foobar, or kag's wiki color chart is. Or maybe just my peripherals :B):

17. illu

illu En Garde! Donator Tester

I have no idea actually but if you manage to find some changes pls update the wiki-page. :)

18. dg00sandbox

dg00sandbox Builder Stabber

I dont understand how to open a map in KAG.

When i play the game and when i click Sandbox (on the Solo menu) it generates the map (wich is normal)
    Then i press ESC and i see Editor. When i clicked it i see Start Editor, Save Map and Map Filename, but i can't see Load Map.

Can somone please explain me how does the premium editor work? Cause i dont understand how other people can destroy blocks in 1 hit, etc, etc...

By the way i bought KAG yesterday on Desura (and i redeemed my code at my profile page on kag2d.com).

DG

19. Rayne

1.) First, you need to find and put your custom map into the games map folder (Program Files\KAG\Base\Maps) make sure it's .png

2.) After that you do that, you go to "Single Player" -> "Sandbox"

3.) You'll be in a randomly generated map, to get the map you specifically want, you have to go to in the console (aka "Home" button) and type in the "/loadbitmap [map's name].png"

Use Z to place blocks, X to break them.

Noburu likes this.
  20. Peelz

Peelz Shipwright

I use a Mac and thought I'd post a couple of tips that would make a mac user's life a bit easier when making maps for the first time:

1. Mac computers (at least mine) show only one item when you open the kag_mac folder: KAG.app. To get to the correct folder to place your custom map file you must right-click KAG.app and select "show package contents"

2. The "Home" key on a mac is FN + Left Arrow

Noburu and Rayne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.