1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Read this first! Map Making Tutorial

Discussion in 'Maps' started by Rayne, Mar 31, 2012.

1. allknowingfrog

allknowingfrog Bison Rider

2. TheWids

TheWids Haxor

But I have been on a server with 3 team before. Hasn't anyone else?

3. allknowingfrog

You can create multi-team servers, but not multi-team CTF.

4. TheWids

TheWids Haxor

okay, well hopefully in the future :]

5. JacKD

JacKD Ballista Bolt Thrower

Here's an update to my GIMP palette. It has the old stuff plus grass, rubble and wooden blocks.
    To use it in Windows extract the zip file to
    C:\Users\%MyUsername%\.gimp-2.8\palettes depending on you GIMP version. In Linux should be something similar :p

Attached Files:

FarmerJohn likes this.
  6. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

I can't seem to find the "Base" folder in the KAG files. When I tried to create it, windows spouts out that the folder exists already! I enabled view hidden files but that didn't work either. Is there a way to fix this, or another way to load maps?

7. JacKD

JacKD Ballista Bolt Thrower

No idea what's wrong :S You could try deleting the KAG folder and reinstalling the game... or try to enter the folder using the address bar in Windows Explorer like this C:\KAG\Base ... It's weird, because if the game is working correctly, then the "Base" folder exists xD So you have weird problem.

8. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

Thanks for the quick reply and the advice. The reinstall worked. I originally had it downloaded to the default file location, which was just in C:/, and reinstalled it into Program Files, for future reference. Thanks!

EDIT: Ran into another error. [​IMG]

Which would explain why I had originally saved it like that. I'm guessing if I do this again, the Base and other folders will disappear for some strange, windows vista reason. I'll try reinstalling /again/ to see if I can view the files while in admin.

JacKD likes this.
  9. xioxio128

xioxio128 Shark Slayer

So is there gonna be new colors for the wooden blocks???

10. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Yeah, the new colors are in the wiki. I can upload my kag pallete for Paint.net if you guys want. It has everything currently.

Attached Files:

• KAG.txt
      File size:
      1.1 KB
      Views:
  11. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

Umm. How do I keep my map from falling apart when I dig? I have bedrock on the bottom. The entire map falls apart when I dig up one tile of dirt.

EDIT: or is that supposed to happen?

12. WarrFork

WarrFork フォーク Donator Tester

Put some dirt backwall to don't have falls.

13. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Check the size of your map. If it's too small, it'll collapse (as seen a few posts above)

14. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

Soooooooooo my 117 x 100 map isn't server friendly? :(

15. allknowingfrog

It's not necessarily a size issue. If you're using a program with lots of save options, you'll want to make sure it's not doing anything fancy. One of my first maps would collapse the instant it loaded because I saved with GIMPs default options.

16. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

..but that's way smaller than 500x200, of course it's server-friendly.

allknowingfrog: No.. just no. Maps do not work like that, it just reads the rgb values and loads the colours as tiles, saving it with different options wouldn't change how they react ingame. Your map probably was too small and the tent spawning bedrock underneath it made it collapse, that is the most likely story.

17. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

What he means obviously is 24bit saving rayne, jeez, god, jeez.

18. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

If he saved it in anything other than 24bit there would only be team bridges and bedrock on the map.
    Can't have it collapse if there's nothing there, right?

19. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Sure you can! (Not really), depends on what you save it as though other things would save.

20. allknowingfrog

I don't know much about the behind-the-scenes stuff, but it definitely wasn't a size issue. It was a 300x200 with a solid dirt and bedrock bottom. I couldn't tell you exactly which setting was wrong. I just turned a bunch of save options off and all was well.

On the other hand, this was awhile ago. It's possible that I'm mistaken about the collapsing bit. I remember free-falling from the sky after loading the map, but I guess that would happen if none of my blocks loaded. I apologize for misinforming the public.:(