1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

More photos of GDC Soon - It’s over!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Furai, Mar 31, 2013.

1. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

(but where are those 'more photos'?)

Ej likes this.
  2. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

We deal with it firsthand. Maybe that's why I swear and "rage" as you so deftly put it. This isn't the first instance either, since it's happened when backing up claims of griefing/hacking/etc. I'm just fine, I'm behaving like a normal person who has an opinion on something. I have no knowledge, yet it's been discussed (at length) between myself and several others over IRC and PM. So yeah, I'm afraid I know a little more on this subject than you think. Telling me to be silent because I know nothing, and then supporting someone who blatantly insulted me is again, a pretty dick move. "No offense, but you kind of were ranting like a "brainless moron"." So either way, I'm being told to shut up because I don't know anything, one was just a bit more polite. Vulgarity might as well be my middle name, I don't see it changing. It however DOESN'T change the fact that I'm part of this community as well and have an opinion on the matter.

User reputation, no matter how much fat you trim, will still be putting the power of bans and such into the hands of a very VERY young crowd. Most of these children travel in packs, so while it might be impossible for one user to cause mass downvotes, but pretty simple for large, non-competitive clans and groups of friends. It's possible that I can get into an argument with someone on a server, the person I'm arguing with has a bunch of clan mates on his side, next thing I know my reputation goes down 4-5 points in one day, even moreso if they decide to keep it up day after day. Guards are indeed volunteers, as Lieber said. I see no point in removing them all when they can still be of use. While a guard is playing on a server and notices griefing, rather than people going through the rep system, they can quickly deal with the problem. Not every server has adequate administration, and I can't imagine it'll get better with Steam.

Titmau5, feet, Arcite and 7 others like this.
  3. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

Will the more permanent bans still be handled by Furai?
    Also won't this end up like the vote system where even the word "grifir" could invoke a sh*tstorm on someone?

4. Cerbercre

Cerbercre Brolord 弟兄主 Donator
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

>Recruiting more is not a option.
    >KAG has a good number of responsible players who would fill that area perfectly.

Keep some very good guards
    And then the Rep system is fine.

kubasanus likes this.
  5. eamono

eamono Arsonist

This seems like a very good idea, but by only giving 1 rep per day you are limiting the amount of rep that people give for legit reasons, I mean if timmy is playing and his friend bobby come in they are probably gonna rep eachother since they are friends, but when the bonesauce gets killed by a builder and starts cursing everyone out they cant de-rep him becuase they already spent their 1 rep.

I think that bans should be handled individually per server

6. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

"you can vote on as many people as you like, but you can't vote multiple times on any given user per day"

7. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

The rep system seems interesting and i want to make some suggestion, a greater limit of rep and at higher limits people gain positive special powers (guard powers maybe) while at lower get negative powers (easier to kick/easier to ban)

Ghozt and Anded like this.
  8. eamono

eamono Arsonist

okay that makes more sense, so what if i were to upvote geti and 5 seconds later he put swastikas everywhere?

now that i think about it that probably wont happen too often

9. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

So if there is a griefer/hacker, instead of simply calling for a guard on irc, we will have to go to the forums, find their account, and then click downvote, and ruin their reputation? Honestly that sounds fucking stupid. "grifer >:c -1 rep for yu"

NinjaCell and Ghozt like this.
  10. Ratka

Ratka Shipwright

It sounds like some aspect of Facebook has been implemented, not being able to do anything about them besides thinking angry thoughts and saying "Omg he grifir downvote heem!".

NinjaCell likes this.
  11. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

fuck that, it would be "he griefed kick him" because downvoting does not have an immediate effect like kicking does. Afterwords if you see him again in a different server and remember "the griefer" therefore i should downvote him.

12. Well there's an idea. Keep the vote-to-kick system, and it takes out extra points? c:
    (Unless you have over 10 rep or sumpin?)

13. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

Well then what's the point of them system, if you just vote kick him? I still see no reason to take out guards.

14. eamono

eamono Arsonist

What if they just launched the game without a rep system and add it in later, i don't think hackers will be big enough a problem that we need to worry about abuse of a ref system

15. thebonesauce

I'm just failing to understand the logic behind removal of guards.

The community is going to grow exponentially. The guards we have currently aren't enough to keep up with the increasing demands. So the solution is to just remove guards all together?

I dunno, I just don't see this going well at all. Sometimes I think you guys greatly overestimate the general intelligence of about 75%+ of this community. I give it about a week before mass downvotes and troll clans form specifically for that reason.

e: I think some of you are misinterpreting my worry for just whining. I'm not saying that it's because of a flaw in the idea behind the system, I'm not saying that the devs can't pull it off, I'm not even saying that it couldn't work... The flaw, in this case, is 95% of the F2P players. It's a shame that we can't just play and have fun, it's even sadder that I can't join a single non-premium server (save for maybe Action, thanks to moderation) without having one game that is free of griefing, hacking, glitch abuse and exploiting, etc. This morning I joined Beo's Zombies, encountered a player who saw that I was an admin, acknowledged that I was an admin, then proceeded to bring a keg into the main portion of the base and blew it up. I froze him, he claimed he didn't do it. Another player joined him almost immediately after in the keg griefing, so I froze him as well. Tired of lies and insults, I banned them both. Then one of the last few players on the server said, "Fuck it, I built this, I'm destroying it. GRIEF TIEM!" and proceeded to tear down the ENTIRE BASE.

This is my point when I say that the general intelligence of this community is depressingly low. These kids blatantly griefed in front of my eyes, two of which griefing after seeing me FREEZE THE OTHERS. It's astounding, but it's the truth.

16. I entirely agree with Bonesauce up there. If even one guard is online and in IRC, it makes a huge difference because of the fact that they can quickly freeze/ban a player that gets reported. If there's no kicking or something anyone playing on a server (5v5 would have no players with huge reps, probably) then how would a griefer get kicked or a hacker banned?

17. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

In the Beta, which will be P2P only? :huh?:

(Sorry, bone, but couldn't help myself. :p I actually agree with your argument on how the voting will be difficult to use in F2P, but seeing as I'm going to be playing the awesomeness that is Beta, I'm less worried by the F2P peeps).

NinjaCell, Ghozt and SlyStalker like this.
  18. darDar

darDar KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester

Can anyone explain me how such an reputation system works ??
    I don´t get it.

Ghozt likes this.
  19. Riflemancdr

Riflemancdr Builder Stabber

Moderation is for the Moderators, not the guys playing with me. Your asking my peers to be unbiased to help moderate the servers? Your funny.

Guitarman and thebonesauce like this.
  20. thebonesauce

Jeez, I'm stupid for not realziing this. I thought this applied to guards in general for both cKAG and pKAG.

We still have the issue of stupidity, jut not as much. :)