1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

More photos of GDC Soon - It’s over!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Furai, Mar 31, 2013.

1. eamono

eamono Arsonist

I keep changing my opinion on this, builders will get the most rep. Builders will be back at the base doing building/repairing while knights are out in the middle of everything, who would upvote a knight in combat? and after you die you'll be like "hmmmmmmm... i know his name was either XxninjaxX or Xx00_ninja_00xX

2. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

I think you over-estimate the cognitive abilities of the human race.

Is this system being implemented for Classic as well? Sorry if I'm behind the schedule of the discussion here. :P

Beef, Guitarman and thebonesauce like this.
  3. Taiga

Taiga Based God Donator

All I can say is:Good luck

4. vampo

vampo alchemist Donator Tester

ooh ooh! i just thought; my previous mention of +1/-1 single vote per player that stays: what if your reputation was only calculated for the players that are currently online? maybe that's too much of a load for servers to track everyone who's voted everyone live... basically have your account track who you've upvoted and downvoted and have those votes apply as you log on and unapply when you log off. you'd basically have to be in control of the majority of the online population in order to exploit this. it'd still be a good idea to show your up:down ratio as well so that people who only downvote incessantly can be denied as well as very negatively voted players. you could still make it take half a point to up or down someone and if you're worried about -0.5 looking too painful for anyone to make an initial vote, you could offset it by making the initial value 5 or something.

you wouldn't be able to "run away" from your rep. but you also wouldn't be able to pad it with alts unless you run multiple copies simultaneously. and even then, you wouldn't be able to pad it very much. padded downvote cliques would only effect you while they're online and unless everyone hats you, it should be easy to recover. your rep from inactive players wouldn't linger.

SlyStalker likes this.
  5. VanHuek

VanHuek KAG Guard Tester

Well couldn't other things be done from the hours this have taken and appoint a new level of Commanders or something, like updating the UI? And couldn't player administration/server admins/guards Eva better set of three than just the two? And I know you are busy so remember to tell me when you are free and as always the work you guys have done is truly amazing and the toolset you have provided is better than most massive games and the modding capabilities are up their with the Skyrim Creation Kit; it is nice to be able to change one or two things and get immediate feedback.

6. lavalord

lavalord Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

I love the idea of being able to have all/or a combination of the admin list of respected servers added to you server easily.

While I realize that the guard system will be incompatible for the large influx of players, why remove them? Can we not keep the current group or those who want to remain to idle in IRC. When pinged with !guard or w/e they could record and master server ban.
    We could even organise a group of recorders within the community willing to spend time in IRC. They could do the same thing as above. When I have time I know I would be happy to partake in this.

As of right now the player rating systems seems like it will just be too hard for non-admins to actively "ban" (down-vote them till the server ban rating is reached). The vote-kick ( or map-vote for that matter but that's saved for another rant) system as it is in classic now isn't used to full effect. Adding to this in beta, where people will have to "spend" their hard earn reputation and I find it highly unlikely that anyone with give a rubber-chicken except for the specific person whose tower was greifed.

+1 for the ability to tab for names in KAG chat

7. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I answered about getting rid of guards already...

The player rating system is not for actively banning players. Regular players can't currently actively ban players now though, can they? You haven't lost anything. Server admins will actively ban them, as it should be. As for vote kick... That needs to be made more usable + useful, yes.

8. Xanoxis-Rawr

Xanoxis-Rawr Arsonist

I must say - I DONT want to spam rep to join "elite" servers. Thats not fun at all. Just not. I dont think so that being nice will give me 100 rep fast, when I play ~1h a day, and even not everyday. Some people will downvote nice people for no reason etc.

9. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I seriously doubt 'elite' servers will have a minimum that high. It'll probably be 20 or something - whatever is generally considered to be a good indicator that a player is decent. What that number is will not be determined until the system has had time to 'break in' and has been fine tuned.

10. eamono

eamono Arsonist

*SNIP*

What happens when a player reaches a rep so low that he can't join any servers except the ones that will be filled with low-rep people? No one will rep eachother since it will cost them and all the high rep people wont join those servers because they want to be playing all the "1337" servers. Adding rep brings in more problems then it actually fixes, especially when someone buys 11 accounts, but then again 11 accounts will cost a but-load (for everyone on the metric system thats about 1.35 ass-tons) of money, since the price of an account will probably go up to 15 or 20 dollars depending on when Geti and MM decide that christmas was 4 months ago and a christmas sale doesn't make sense anymore.

//EDIT by Furai: Cleaning.

Ghozt likes this.
  11. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

*SNIP*
    I think players with rep below a certain threshold will slowly regenerate points if they're not downvoted more.

12. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

*SNIP*

So anyways, still waiting on these sexy men photos of our beloved devs.

13. eamono

eamono Arsonist

Hmm... interesting...

(totally seperate idea)
    What if people with a certain rep could only downvote people with a similar rep? like if MM joins and has 100 rep people can't be like "omfg where is 2.0 beta DOWNVOTE HIM!!!!" and they bring him down to 60 rep. So maybe people with below 10 rep cannot downvote, people with 10-30 rep can downvote people with less then 30 rep, same with 30-50, and people above 50 rep can downvote anybody. And maybe people with less then -10 rep can only be downvoted by people above a certain rep...

14. Xanoxis-Rawr

Xanoxis-Rawr Arsonist

Just leave this, no rep at all, no global thing, just admins at servers. It works EVERYWHERE.

thebonesauce likes this.
  15. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

I have cleaned the thread of the useless comments. Please keep the discussion on track. Thanks in advance.

16. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Main problem of rating systems is that playing with a low reputation has to be fun. Or you wont attract new players.

Would love to see people earn reputation for contributing to KAG by writing scripts, making maps, hosting servers or even playing tournaments.

feet, Ghozt, FuzzyBlueBaron and 2 others like this.
  17. Koolala

Koolala Shopkeep Stealer

Not every server has to use the reputation system.

EDIT: If reputation is a problem for new players, then it is crucial how they perceive the system. Clear In-game information about all the different server options would be very important.

18. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

19. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

From the KAG facebook page:
    CreepMM.png
    Credits to Mister_Bombastic for the joke

20. starsky and hutch

rocker2, Beef, FuzzyBlueBaron and 2 others like this.