1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

More players, more lag.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FlameHaze3, Feb 19, 2012.

1. FlameHaze3

FlameHaze3 Shark Slayer

With all the new players joining the game, the overall server ping is getting worse, every server i join now-a-days since the review KAG got, has my ping (which is always 33-100) "ping flinging" where you can see it change very instantly back and forth. I see it at 33 flinging to 266, and then back again, this is on every server (with different server ping ofcourse) but i am unable to find a server which doesnt lag so bad anymore.

There has always been mild lag, where you randomly revert to a different location that you hadn't been to, but now i see players randomly appearing out of nowhere somtimes, or i swing through them, i see it hit them twice, and die, but then it reverts backwards and shows me dying as the actuality.

This only started a little after all the new players joined, and im just wondering if the master server will be getting updated, or if the client itself can't handle so much info going through?

2. Melan

Melan Shark Slayer

My ping sometimes fluxes, or as you call it, ping fling, but I too have been getting it more often now.
    I'm starting to think what you're thinking also.

3. Agent_008

Agent_008 Bison Rider

I keep dieing when I'm about 6 blocks ahead of someone and suddenly teleport back.
    Other times I'm chasing a ghost and then the real one appears behind me and I die.

4. Vanguarde

Vanguarde 'Most Hated' 2013

I am also noticing TONS more lag. This is unfortunate side effect of the game becoming more popular. The only solution is to write smoother net code and upgrade the servers.

I just hope it does not get much worse.

5. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

The net code is perfect

anyways, the reason for the lag is that:

The code is currently optimized for only up to 32 players. Servers larger than that will usually have lag and need significantly higher performance for each player. The engine itself can only run up to 48 players, any more than that and the server crashes (which is why you don't see 64 player servers anymore)

Also, the problem probably isn't the new players, it's probably that quick recent network fix seems to have caused additional lag. Most notably it causes drops in framerate.

Noburu, SARGRA13 and AJ like this.
  6. Melan

Melan Shark Slayer

Yeah, the other thing that happened to me recently is that I had random fps spikes/freezes. I got all of this lag on a 20 player server though o.o

FlameHaze3 likes this.
  7. Jaedong

Jaedong Shopkeep Stealer

It might be your computer/internet connetion. I don't have those problems.

8. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I don't either. I very, very rarely have frame rate drops or ping spikes. Even more rarely, I get disconnected from a server all together.

9. Melan

Melan Shark Slayer

Probably is, but my point is that its been happening more frequently lately.

10. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

Alot of lag lately.Ive noticed more than there used to be.

11. Vanguarde

I think it is a tad overzealous to call something perfect as it implies that no improvements are needed - ever. The game is only alpha and we will see lots of improvements in the future I am sure if the developers do not move onto something else.

Whatever you want to call it, the latest network fix is far from perfect as I am getting the same unfortunate experiences in terms of lag and framerate drops.

I look forward to the day the engine can handle 64 players rock solid, that would be as close to perfection as one can get!

:migrant:

Melan likes this.
  12. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

You fail at detecting internet sarcasm.

[​IMG]

FlameHaze3 likes this.
  13. Inexorable

Inexorable The おっぱい lovin' nipple wizard. Donator

Listen mate I live in NZ, we have like 1 giant cable that goes round every one of the 217 houses in our country and probably have lower quality internet than Botswana.

I aint got no lag, perfect connection 99.999% of the time.

Nothing wrong with master server or client.

Not sure what the problem is.

Wonkyth likes this.
  14. Vanguarde

It is very difficult to judge communication of humans via text alone, as the subtle cues of the facial muscles, the tone of the voice, and the physical situation are not present.

15. knightl

knightl Base Burner

the helpful way is if you think its so stupid it must be sarcasm, hell everything Noburu says could be sarcasm under that definition :)

Noburu likes this.
  16. Vanguarde

I guess but I tend to take everything quite serious and take people for their face value.

17. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Might wanna re-evaluate that approach when you visit these forums then ;) Whole lotta Aussies = a shit ton of sarcasm.

18. Hoj

Hoj Builder Stabber

The more packets of information the server has to process increases the lag. Depending upon the server size and how many people affects the lag. Just becasue you have decent internet doesn't mean you don't effect the ping of the server. Also try to figure of the server location before you join. The longer the distance between you and the server means it takes more time to process information.

19. zninja

zninja Shopkeep Stealer

How is it that ping is always exactly 33, 66, 133, 266, 333 etc.. ?
    There must be something wrong with how the game computes ping.:huh?:

20. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Not an issue, really, as all it needs to do is give you a ballpark figure.
    Also, I think you'll find many games have that exact same issue. :P