1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

(Mostly) Workshops Week

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

"But we already have workshops...", you're thinking to yourselves.

Well, that may be true, but you don't have workshops like we're working on workshops. Literally all of the functionality is squirreled away in scripts, meaning that you can make workshops do whatever the hell you want them to do, build menus for them from nothing OR tweak the stock shops with ease. The workshop code will be a great place to start learning AngelScript for those new to C-like languages.

Technology research is partway done, the system reads and writes technologies properly but doesn't quite update the menu of the research shop yet, that's something for next week :)
    Here's a shot of me tending my new garden. How quaint:
    garden.png
    We're thinking you'll likely be able to hock possessions throughout the game on some sort of export market for coins, so those flowers would be uprooted quicksmart for some dosh. This means minecrafters aren't quite as much of a waste of space, since you can at least sell the fruits of their labour.

Michal has been working his butt off recoding several of the internal systems to be simpler to work with via configs, especially with regards to how sprites are handled. Entities can now have multiple layers of sprites, which means that with some clever scripting, complicated animations can be put together with what would otherwise have taken hundreds of frames (naturally noone wants to sprite that kind of thing!)

The entire physics system has also been rewritten to a point where we're mostly happy with it (and it's much easier to work with, both in pure configs and with scripting). Some more tweaking will probably happen next week as we start working with characters.

We're working on making classes and actors non-hardcoded at the moment so that classes can be added and removed fairly trivially. We might not have time to add all the planned classes by the deadline, but we'll have the groundwork done to get them done afterwards if need be.
    ...It's not working properly just yet though, haha.
    worst-pain.png

Tom got his excellent Seclev code out this week and I got to add a few extra variables to water to extend its applicability to deathmatch, which will hopefully see some adoption soon. Pretty sure Rayne is cooking up a tide based RTDM server.

Until next week,
    Max/Geti

Chinizz, Zuke, BlackKlit and 30 others like this.
  2. Froghead48

Froghead48 Haxor

Ugh. Time to learn C++ and say hello world :L

Edit: Great job anyways, this will be fun.

tur1sta, UnnamedPlayer and baracos like this.
  3. lavalord

lavalord Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

Time to make a shop to bring back nukes. muhahahaha

4. The_Khan

The_Khan Bison Rider

I LOVE YOU GETI!!! Yeah, what he said, nice work. Will you also be making it so that you can have lots of team and so that each of them has unique coloured blocks. That way Frog RP server would truly be amazing.

Madbow, Arcite and Froghead48 like this.
  5. delankski

delankski Horde Gibber

GARDENING!
    Great.. When enemy dies.. i'll put a flower beside its corpse :p

[​IMG] :shad:

FliesLikeABrick and cleggy like this.
  6. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

Awesome, since classes won't be hardcoded we can do some pretty sweet stuff with them.
    SOON ALL CLASSES WILL BE LIKE THIS ONE
    [​IMG]

7. The_Khan

The_Khan Bison Rider

We can make tons of new ones too, pretty easily too I hope. This would open so many possibilities for Role Playing Servers.

8. Antman

Antman Base Burner

This is crazy, you guys truly know what you're doing with this game.
    The only thing I really want is combat balance, but I love this heaps too.
    More variables and server options and other things to mess with :D

Thank you so much KAG team!

Arcite likes this.
  9. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Can we kill our enemies with hay fever?

Yess likes this.
  10. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I'd like to read something about bugs. I suppose, as in the last updates, in the changelog there will be a lot of them solved, but I still think we should keep an eye on it. There are several important bugs, those that make you type ingame raging some "$$%'#@¬7!$=!!!!!!111"

superpokes and Arcite like this.
  11. Dark_Ham

Dark_Ham Shipwright

Very exciting news! Will be looking forward to the next few updates! :>

Cerbercre likes this.
  12. Halosnake

Halosnake Shopkeep Stealer

Waiiittt, You said the magical word. Classes
    That single word made me care about KAG again.
    Thank you Geti/MM from the bottom of my tiny little heart, Thanks

13. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

You make me so eager you bastards! Stop making me sit in front of my computer for updates Dev team!

xChapx likes this.
  14. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

do it yourself, the scripting will be available, you'll just need to sprite new doors, etc.

sj67 and Cerbercre like this.
  15. Saverous

Saverous Shopkeep Stealer

Sorry lavalord. Already done.

Anyways so there will be shops available for us to script? Like no boundarys and shop compatilbilty if you get what i mean?

16. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

I'm just going to stay online and keep refreshing the page until this comes out.

Zodon, norill, Dark_Ham and 1 other person like this.
  17. ImAwesome

ImAwesome Haxor

Remember to thank MM as well,Geti just does the sprites,remember?(still thank geti as well though)

Saverous likes this.
  18. JackMcDaniels

JackMcDaniels Haxor

More classes is most definitely something that i want, class expansion, more variety.

What are the planned classes anyway?

19. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

While this was true about a year ago, I've been sharing the load of programming for kag since early august last year. Michal still does the majority of it but I'm certainly involved in a lot more than just the art.

Re: 'so there's not limits to shop functionality then?' - of course there are limits, there's always limits with computers. the limits are substantially reduced though, to the point where you could make shops walk around on their own with a few lines of code. The new system is technically less noob friendly because very little is handled by the engine for you, but it's more powerful in so many ways.

20. Geti

Angelscript is not the same as c++, it just has c-like syntax. Java does as well for the most part. It's fairly straightforward once you get the basics down.

Froghead48 and UnnamedPlayer like this.