1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

My faith in the Newer kag players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PlasmaBunny, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Usually the best thing to do is to watch the players that look like they know what they're doing (helps if they have a red name, that means they are a server admin) and just do what they do.

Generally you'll be ok if you don't build retarded shit and you help your team push forward. Reading the builder section in these forums can help you get ideas on what to build, the only thing you really need to learn yourself is when to use each structure for maximum effect.

Beef likes this.
  2. PeterPan14

PeterPan14 Bison Rider

Or..We could just go back to plan A and crack some jokes.. :D

3. Sitanel

Sitanel Shopkeep Stealer

Yesterday I found my team's builders expressing their in game youthfulness by the construct of an esthetically white elephant unpleasantly massive wall of ruin that took us lots of seconds to cross and made us easy targets to the archers while climbing down it... I almost changed teams, but instead I choose to explain the bachelor architects some basic principles...
    Thanks God my fun last night was saved by some other epic battles...

KnightGabe13 and Beef like this.
  4. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

New players annoy me. They think they are the bomb and that they'll change everything and shit. But the shit is their towers.

A sort of special in-game title for being active on the forums/having played X hours would be very nice.

Arcite and Canadian98 like this.
  5. justi01

justi01 Haxor

So do the "pro's" ^.^

6. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

Yeah, but we actually are the bomb. we actually DO innovate.

7. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Damm after reading this ive spent like 3 hours in total watching DayZ videos... I'm thinking of buying the game needed. :eek:

8. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

Yeah, i agree with this, but its also unfair for US to have new builders pick on us because we build things that actualy help the team.

9. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Sorry you were instantly fucking awesome were you? Didn't think so.

Still think the main problem is people think building shit is the be all and end all of the game, new players need to be MAJORLY discouraged from building in whatever ways possible and that'll resolve alot of problems. Of course alot of people will thick fuck that and carry on regardless, but if it even got through to 1 in 10 new players I'd be worth it. Of course some people are just fucking stupid, I showed a friend of mine the game a while back and he could see the sheer idiocy of some of the "constructions" that occurred as soon as he'd got used to seeing what all the blocks do, but even surely after a certain amount of time they must be able to work out the stupid shit they're doing.

Ideally we need more premium servers that are willing to be picky about players, so good players have somewhere to go, and players actually willing to listen have somewhere to learn properly.

10. cmblast

cmblast Shopkeep Stealer

I just hate that people can't grasp a boostpad entrance with a 4 or 5 high stone wall, to the point where they destroy anything I've built... and chop down trees that I was using as ladder deterrents, and stone over the tree. Why must shitty builders destroy my nice things?

11. PeterPan14

PeterPan14 Bison Rider

Bro this is just life, some bitches never get it.

12. I consider myself both a new player and a good one (at least in attitude.)

Think of me as the pinnacle of newbies. (CONCEITED MUCH?)

13. MechaTrickster

MechaTrickster Banned Donator

Implying anyone thinks you're a professional. You sound just like the so called new players.
    Sounds like that would bring more problems.

Canadian98 and justi01 like this.
  14. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

We were all new players once! Don't act as if you've been playing this game since you were born :)

Canadian98 likes this.
  15. Jim_Dale

Jim_Dale Arsonist

I still make terrible, terrible mistakes from time to time, so I'm not going to complain about anyone.

Except for the guys that jump into your spike pit to get a few coins.

Canadian98 likes this.
  16. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Why would it though? New players don't know how to build, that goes for everyone regardless of how sharp or thick you might be, the only way you truely appreciate how structures work in this game is not building until your buildings aren't shit, it's from doing the exact opposite, trying to destroy/circumvent someone else's, that's how you truly gauge what works as a defence when you don't know how the game works. You come up to a 1 tile stone column and you destroy it, then you probably kill a few of your team in the process -but realise it didn't defend fuck all, then maybe you see a smarter builder put in some backwall, a few team doors and few extra tiles and bam, you're team has converted something completely useless into something of some use and you've learnt something (hopefully). That kinda mantraq about building applies to all areas; wanna know what makes a good archer nest? Go archer and try some out, don't just take a stab in the dark about what might work, half the time when there is one archers will just hop on top of the tower anyway, and if they'rew a little more tactically aware maybe they'll just use your main fucking door, so it's likely you won't even think about making an archer nest on a tower for a while anyway (alot of the time nowadays I try to funnel stupid archer into a situation where they HAVE to use an archer nest, and the only alternative is the main door, not always great cos it stops knights from going on top of the tower and throwing bombs and doing long jumps, but if your playing with really stupid people it often saves more tickets then it loses...).

In short; like with anything you learn something much better by learning from someone that knows what the fuck they're doing, not just by fucking about doing what you think you should be doing. Bad building wreck alot more games much more badly then a few poorly placed bombs, some bad offensive buildering, and most certainly then a round of bad archery.

MechaTrickster likes this.
  17. Aye. The knights and archers can't do anything if there's no buildings.

The thing is, poor buildings are very easily salvaged into good buildings; if the foundations for a building is there, then all the better!

The only bad thing is people objecting to 'their construction being built on'. It ain't minecraft.

18. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Well it depends just how bad it is, sometimes a building is so bad it's a much better use of time to "grieve" it, especially at the beginning of a round. Some things like building a tower right next to another tower, building one a couple of notches off the face of a cliff or existing team wall for no apparent reason giving the enemy a flat face to attack from, and numerous other things are just really shit and fuck things up, it can only take a couple of vital mistakes to make a passable tower really really bad. If a tower is really badly designed then it can be just as easy for the enemy to do those modifications and turn it against you.

By the way, I'm no master architect and very much know my place in that respect, and I tend to stay out of proper base contruction as much as possible for that reason, unless the teams main fortifications are really bad I won't go near them. I don't really know anything in the way of clever traps and such, I know one when I see one, but I wouldn't want attempt to make anything complex myself. Unfortunately that isn't often the case though, and most pub servers you have to correct a whole heap of shit that's wrong with alot of stuff, I'd much rather be at the front laddering over shit and being a pain in the arse stoning things off and all that other offensive builder stuff.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  19. MechaTrickster

MechaTrickster Banned Donator

The future is gonna have some bumps
    RTDM:
    ArcherGuy: whats taht bomb looking thing
    Me: A bomb
    Me: Read the manual (or the forum guides)
    ArcherGuy: lol fuck the manual
    Does he even read the shops
    CTF:
    AttentionWhore: Omg help me out this hole!
    Me: No press backspace then take cyanide
    They totally ignore me
    AttentionWhore: help me! x6
    Me: JUST TAKE CYANIDE YOU DUMBASS
    Near the end of the round
    Red Guy: ur stupid just climb out the gold wall
    Teammate: Shes doing it for attention
    AW:HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    This fucker spent the entire game in a hole spamming help me

cmblast likes this.
  20. Azeal

Azeal Catapult Fodder

9 times out of 10, the best way to deal with this is tell people what they could be doing better (basically explain WHY it's a bad idea to use ground doors >.>), or just change their structure to make it functional, without destroying it entirely (because just about EVERYTHING is salvageable). I think most new players should be archer for 5 or so rounds, or maybe knight if they did any kind of parkour tutorial. I remember doing one when I started and it helped a lot. Also, experience (time played) requirements for servers would be amazing.

cmblast likes this.