1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Mysterious Lag

Discussion in 'Help' started by Rainbows, Apr 3, 2016.

Mods: makmoud98, Mazey
  1. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I have 8 GB of ram which is quadruple the recommended amount. I also have a 92mbps connection which I went to great lengths to get. My 2GHz processor meets the recomendation and my graphics card has 1024mb of dedicated memory.

So why the hell does the game lag to the point of being unplayable? Game always feels like it is suffering from a mix of ping and FPS lag where it keeps missing frames and clicking buttons won't do anything. I have all the hardware this game needs. Any recommendations on software that might need updating?

PinXviiN and Psiklaw like this.
  2. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Graphics drivers could be suspect but probably aren't the issue. If you're running other software in the background (particularly web browsers, disk indexing or anti-virus), try not doing that.

The 2GHz recommendation is a bit anemic, particularly if its a laptop i3 or something - 3GHz desktop cpus with bigger caches and more ALUs will run it better. The CPU would be my main concern with that list of specs.

Try turning off help if you haven't already (hit F1) as that can avoid hitting the disk every now and again if you dont have an SSD.

There's unfortunately no good way to "speed up" the game on our end; its currently a death-by-a-thousand cuts lack of optimisation that makes the requirements so high.

We've had to do a lot of work "game-side" (ie not engine-side) to speed up Trench Run a little compared to KAG (less use of properties, scaling down the number of players per-server to give the netcode a break, pushing more stuff into the tilemap, simpler gamemode code) but its a little late for KAG. It's definitely going to be a priority in future games.

3. Hospitalizer

Hospitalizer Shopkeep Stealer

1st thing you can look at is if you suffer dpc latency with a latency checker :ehh: hi latencies can present them selves as hiss, poping stuttering sound, Choppy fps ,laggy peripherals

daskew87 likes this.
  4. L3fty

L3fty Bison Rider Staff Alumni

I'll assume you're not talking about specific server or mod and you're on Windows, give this a shot, drop your speakers (playback device) default format to lowest - 16bit, 44100Hz (CD Quality). If that doesn't help, It could be failing hardware. bad drivers, OS incompatibility or settings, or other applications interfering via overlays or whatnot issue. You would have to do troubleshooting to rule it all out before blaming the game or comps specs. I can run kag fine on integrated graphics card on my few years old mid-range laptop.

Solaris likes this.
Mods: makmoud98, Mazey