1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help Testing 200 Person Server:Starsoccer9's Big Server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by starsoccer9, Oct 19, 2011.

1. starsoccer9

starsoccer9 Bison Rider

Hi I need to test my server that will hold 200 people. I want to have 200 people online at once to test it. If the computer can hold that then I will increase it some more untill It finnaly crashes. So start up KAG and join the Server Starsoccer9's Big Server

Also If you have reccomindations to make the game better such as map generators or maps or anything please tell me below

2. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

No way will you be able to do it.

The highest server so far has been 128 players. We couldn't even get past 60 before it started to cause people to crash and the server would crash too. The record is 64.

Would test it though if its in europe?

3. starsoccer9

starsoccer9 Bison Rider

Its in america and cool maybe Ill make KAG history. And right now its running on a dedicated machine thats only running the server and nothing else. with minimum of everything. Also I have it connect through ethernet so its preety fast 30mb on speedtest

It says it has a 31MS Response

4. Neat

Eh.. I won't be helping you get to 200 then, unless you get 100 then i'll join. Too laggy to bother under that.

5. Im_a_Turtle

Im_a_Turtle Arsonist

what's the highest in KAG history? 64 players on one server?
    Anyways this is a great opportunity to test the mettle of the KAG engine. (I say its going to crash at 130)

6. starsoccer9

starsoccer9 Bison Rider

lmao well lets get some people on then. Right now its about 9 my time and I would love to have 130 people on before I go to sleep. So cmom get all ur freinds to go and join

Rite now my server has the best response not that it doesnt mean it wont crash but thats preety good. I need to get some people into it

7. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I say its going to crash at 60-70.
    That 128 server *should* have been able to handle it, but KAG has mysterious issues that prevent this.

8. Mornaval

Mornaval Shopkeep Stealer

I'll sign up to help with that

9. starsoccer9

starsoccer9 Bison Rider

Server Crashed at 30 people not good.
    It was lagging atnd then it didnt really crash it simply kicked everyone outta the game exepct me. But it said the server was still live. Weird right.

10. Shadlington

Yeah this happens a lot. Its one of those mysterious issues I was talking about ;)

11. starsoccer9

starsoccer9 Bison Rider

well with weirdness like that no I will never get to even close to 200 hundered lol. I would work on my own server but idk where to start. Someone really needs to clean the code up. I think then I might wait until Kag server is more sercure till I try again.

12. Neat

The devs are half working on rewriting the game entirely. What you're playing is essentially a glorified prototype. It's not surprising the code needs cleaning up. But that will get done, don't worry.

13. starsoccer9

starsoccer9 Bison Rider

Yea I know I asked the dev about helping with the rewrite and maybe open source the old code to help other people out. If it went open source I would love to change it up a little bit and instead of medevil based maybe become modern based

14. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

The game won't go open source.

We're working on ways to make the netcode not break for high player counts, giving options to turn off everything CPU-consuming with serverside vars (no unlag, no antihack, no compression) which you'll be able to trial soon.

15. starsoccer9

starsoccer9 Bison Rider

No the new version but the old version. since it will be obsolete. I would love to make a KAG like game

16. Shadlington

The old code is still based on MM's game engine that he is rather protective of, so that's going to be a no too

17. starsoccer9

starsoccer9 Bison Rider

That sucks. Guess if I want to make a KAG clone Ill have to start from scratch

18. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Dude how many games do you know of that just get cheerfully open-sourced? afaik ~0.0001% of mainstream commercial games go OSS and maybe ~1% of indie games do.

19. starsoccer9

starsoccer9 Bison Rider

well not many but alot of projects what they do is when they do a rewirte like what is happening the open source the old code and then make the new source closed

20. Shadlington

'A lot of projects'?
    Can you think of any examples?