1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Nerf or remove spike dropping.

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Klokinator, Sep 17, 2014.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Spike dropping is the worst thing ever.

1. It encourages stone waste. 30 stone vanishing permanently is bad, even if that is just one spike from resupply at the tent.
    2. It instakills every class, regardless of shielding or not shielding.
    3. Unlike boulders, which I also hate, there's no recourse to spike dropping. Fight builders out in the open where they don't have backwall around? That's it, no other recourse.
    4. It's pretty much impossible to dodge.
    5. It encourages builder camping, since waiting near backwall makes you a killing machine.
    6. It also instakills teammates. Talk about a griefer's dream come true. There was a video in General Discussion/KAG Media of Anonymuse griefing his entire base for lolz, but that (The lolz) is a rare case. Getting instakilled by teammates is bullshit and should not be allowed.

If spike dropping dealt one heart of damage, I wouldn't hate it so much. Even so it still permanently wastes stone and is terrible. Please remove spike dropping.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    SirDangalang, NinjaCell and zerd like this.
  2. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

Dodge more? There's very few builders who actively spike drop, so I don't view it as an issue. Zoom out or get gibbed.

3. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

The few who do it are pretty much unstoppable though. All it takes is for some noobs to see it and pretty soon everyone will be doing it.

It's not balanced, and with every build making knight class worth less and less, we don't need ridiculously overpowered attacks like this and boulder.

even though boulder is your bff since you spam that shit all day long at me rage rage rage

4. Personally I have seen several players making pre made little wood walls to lure you back and spike drop you, and at times you can get Triple kills or even more

Maybe the higher you drop it the more but it's kinda dumb too

If a knight can't have a wall climb why can a builder have an OP insta killing machine?

Builder isn't even meant to attack single handedly with spikes

Klokinator likes this.
  5. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

I think people shouldn't be able to drop off of the "bedrock" backwall that can't be removed, anything else is fair game IMO. It takes time to build things like that, and if you're being chased a good majority of the time you can't get backwall up fast enough.

kittycity likes this.
  6. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Oh yes, absolutely. I agree 100%, it takes mad skill to spam backwall straight up and then switch to spike and kill anything that gets near, or to stand at the top of a sheer tower and drop spikes on the knights below. Pure skill in every facet of the word, especially when compared to something easy like bomb-jumping into a base only to be instantly killed by any builder with 30 stone and a heart rate of "still breathing somehow".

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  7. I appreciate every instance of builders wasting stone on me.

NinjaCell and 101i like this.
  8. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

I agree, spiking dropping wastes resources and does way too much damage. It is also a big problem when mining blocks with spikes on them, as they drop on you after the block being destroyed. This means a knight or a builder (but as a builder you can destroy the spikes first) who is destroying a spiked block that is next to him or above him cannot do so without (usually) getting insta-killed. And I have seen several players build back wall in the field, just so they can do this. As long as they have stone, backwall and a slight height advantage, they are unapproachable, which is not something a builder should be able to do (same with boulders, which are op too (even if they require retrieval, they can nonetheless be reused infinitely)).

NinjaCell and Klokinator like this.
  9. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Decided to play match of CTF as a spike dropping builder. With my already l33t builder skills and 200 stone, I was unstoppable. I walked right into a base, killing everyone that got near me. The only limiting factor to my kill-trocity was the fact that I ran out of stone eventually, but by then I had a horde of allied knights who had finally caught up to me.

Then I walked outside of the home base and set up 5-high wood backwall spaced 2 apart. Total time taken: 30 seconds. I covered half the map with this backwall and then killed any knights approaching the base.

Seriously, spike spam is awful. There's no balancing it, it just needs to be removed. The only thing that balances it is the fact that it's a one shot thing and costs 30 stone, and even then that's just a waste of team resources. I might as well be making a minecraft church structure behind spawn or something.

10. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

I was just playing ctf and I saw about 4 builders continuously dropping spikes onto us.

11. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

Since you can see spikes in the builders and before he drops it makes it pretty balanced IMO.

12. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Normally people (as knight) we=hen fighting wont exactly look at builders safely in their tower.

13. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

That doesn't make a lick of sense.

"I can see the instakill attack, but I can't get close to kill him, so I should just stand away from him and avoid him!"

Great, you can see the instant death. What are your options?

1. Don't go near the builder or you'll die.
    2. Go near the builder and die.

If you have a bomb, you can maybe kill him, if he's already weakened. That's assuming he doesn't just walk into a doorway. If you're an archer, you can shoot him, and he'll dodge. This is the same thing as saying "Well the knight has an instant kill stab attack, but you can clearly see the sword in his hands, so it's easy to... avoid!" No, it's not. You have no recourse.

Defending this mechanic is the lowest thing I think I've seen the majority of the community do in quite a while.

NinjaCell, Rayne and 101i like this.
  14. The only person I've seen to be able to effectively rek me with spike-drops without being insanely predictable is @kittycity. It's pretty obvious and easy to dodge when they have a spike in their hand and are standing by a bunch of backwall. Just bomb jump over and slaughter them, snipe them as archer, or provide overhead cover as builder. Archers can dodge it pretty easily with their hook and it isn't that difficult with knights either as long as they can't predict your movements. I typically just tease them and then dodge so they waste all their stone and retreat.

Anonymuse likes this.
  15. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

Teamwork. Call a builder to rush the other builder. Ask archers for an arrow ladder. Juke him with a bomb.

16. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Yeah, you be sure and sit there perfectly still to message an ally while a guy 10 tiles away rushes forward with his instakill attack when he sees that telltale typing bubble above your head. Lemme know how that works out for ya. Lol.

17. Malitha

Malitha Shipwright
    1. SIEGE Clan - SIEGE

Well, Its sort of a camp-inducer. I mean-- Its not like you can set up some back-wall at your leisure and camp behind that with a spike in hand, so builders just tend to camp behind their "insta-kill machines" . Hoping that this will be nerfed/removed [much like shield climbing was.]

18. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Yeah that was another thing I forgot, it encourages camping.

19. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

honestly i sort of agree with klok on this one, i liked the old stone block droppers in classic but block dropping in beta is so awful nobody ever uses it anymore, it required more setup and was easily noticed. whereas with spikes its swap to spike and click fast to get kill.

#bringbackblockdroppers2014

edit:
    pls m8 its called backdirt

20. it's background you pleb

also drops in classic worked because of workshop tiles and no lag on builder. dunno if you can have it back

Mods: Rainbows