1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

New build discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MM, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Vania

Vania Guest

Except making a tunnel is way faster and easier than blocking it with rocks, mostly because there's much more dirt than stone.

2. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@vania:
    [​IMG]

It doesn't prevent covering the entrance to a tunnel - it encourages it. That's the point, a tunneler at least has to think ahead and block up the entrance. I don't have a problem with that, I have a problem with them running backwards while building walls of stone if I catch them unawares in their tunnel. If I corner a builder he can simply erect a wall while he's escaping, if he at least has to stand still whilst doing that then I have some chance of catching him. It also fixes the much larger issue of ladder spamming the as builder would need to run to the base of the wall with cover - either military units or a canopy - to avoid leaving themselves vulnerable.
    [​IMG]
    (sorry for the icky mouse drawing - no tablet)
    It'd encourage the construction of more solid ladders as well as people could just hold the mouse button down and move the mouse upwards (with a larger build radius). It'd allow the faster construction of forts etc and prevent people placing spikes while running along or whatnot - again if you want to add traps to the map you should have to stand still for a second to put down the spikes anyway.

Once wooden tiles are implemented stone tiles could take slightly longer to build (adding a delay to the next tile to build, or having a build animation, either way) to make tempory wooden forts and walls easy to put up but castles take longer - it'd give the wooden parts more of a use.

Most exploits related to the builder being able to build in a larger area would be solved by having a raycast to the area to be built in - if it's blocked, disallow building. What other issues are you concerned about?

Collapsing tunnels would be interesting. The could simply fill with soft dirt once the overhaul progresses, the screen could shake for people inside the to-be-crushed area and we could spawn lots of dust particles. It'd be interesting if there was more than one type of natural background tile, perhaps, so that "natural" caves wouldn't collapse.

3. Joe

Joe Guest

Of course. It's as simple as swinging just before a collision occurs. I'm not saying it's easy, I'm saying it's not luck. There are very successful knights out there, I'm sure you've seen them. My point was that if you're cornered, you probably should die, but there should also be a window of escape.

4. Vania

Vania Guest

Not everybody has a latency below 50.
    It is my belief that online games should be designed to be playable with high latencies, as high as 300.

5. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I think you should trust FinDude on this, he's currently one of the best knight players in this game.

On the whole builder thing, honestly what I would do if I had control of this game is slow all parts of terrain manipulation down. I'd make mining, breaking and building all slower. I think that builders should have to sit for a sec before their building is finished, like Geti said. Maybe even make it so that if an enemy enters within a certain radius their building is canceled? At the very least have any intersection with the placement cancel it.

Also I'd keep the support system as it is currently, except making background blocks only support for four tiles horizontally and I'd also make it so that ladders cannot be built horizontally infinitely and require adjacent support from foreground tiles. To prevent some of the more effective but also more contrived base architecture, I'd also put a delay on door opening so we don't have door ladders or doors you need to jump to. Those are clever and cool but they take away somewhat from the immersion and would make castles harder to attack.

I'd also add cave ins like in the way Geti said.

It would making playing the builder slower, but it would also make it more interesting as each tile you place would actually be meaningful. Right now building is defences is sort of an exercise in attrition. You aren't fighting the building so much as the enemy's repair speed.

However these changes would probably be way too much to be implemented all at once and would be immediately rife with new problems, but in my humble opninion this would be a good direction to ease into.

6. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

Doesn't doing that to ladders make it impossible to raid the enemy's base if they do something smart like mine out everything below their tent?

7. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

The thing is, I agree with tunnels collapsing, providing it always kills the builder in the process. Because otherwise they can use it to be even more overpowered. They can just set up a support for the tunnel, wait till people come in, and collapse it immediately, killing them all. This way he is making himself one way, yes, but A: he can still go for the flag, and B: he has just mined back the materials he used to make the support, allowing him to make infinite supports. The tunnel should make a sort of landslide of dirt that goes all the way down to the end very quickly IMO, making tunneling a very risky business but worth the effort if you put up supports (direct route to enemy base underground is definitely worth it)

8. Snow

Snow Guest

I don't know what to add to this. Griefing in the game is not only causing headaches while playing the game, but it seems now, design of the game here on in is more about curbing them.

Whitelisting and locked servers are the only way to stop griefers. If you're on the whitelist then you can play with peace of mind with other whitelisted players and never have to worry about a griefer ruining the game. The downside is that newbies who don't grief would have to wait a while and play on pub servers and build up a bit of a reputation before server owners would whitelist them.

The builder is perfectly fine at the moment, but I think I am for the builder having to use supports in digging tunnels. It sucks when you have a nice defense set up and next thing you know, the enemies are simply tunnelling underneath. However, there is a problem with this. Mining. It would mean that the builder would have to mostly mine straight downward or use supports just to dig for materials. It would be a total pain in the ass to mine.

Anyway, Michal, Geti, keep designing the game like you envisioned since the beginning. Get the accounts and whitelisting thing going, otherwise design the game for just the players in mind. I'm just starting to get sick of all the threads about suggestions and the discussions keep going back to how to curb the damn griefers and all the new measures suggested/put in place.

9. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

My problem is that trees don't grow back whenever it is fully cut down. I don't know whether or not it is supposed to be like that but you have a bunch of peasants randomly coming in and cutting everything down to make their catapults.

10. illu

illu En Garde! Donator Tester

Here you go. That should be pretty much self-explainable. The chance to fall down that pit and stay alive is very very small.

11. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

Alternatively, you could tunnel out absolutely everything under your tent and make a drawbridge leading your team to land, while the enemy never has a chance of getting to your flag.

12. Neat

Now that makes me want to try that Sani.

13. Vania

Vania Guest

A drawbridge block stops working when you hit it once.
    So, in the picture you sent there I just have to hit every block of the top drawbridge once and it becomes a common bridge.

And by the way, all the spikes you placed on the drawbridges are useless:
    Spikes do not work when they are floating, they need be attached to a solid block. When the bridge draws the spikes become harmless.
    In other words, if an enemy falls down your trap he will receive 0 damage... I tested it.

14. illu

Then I don't know why tons of knights and archer fell down there and - surprise - died. Btw: You can't hit every drawbridge block if you're not a builder who can build a ladder above it.

15. Neat

He means hit the one closest - deactivates the drawbridge - stand on it, hit the next one - deactivates it. Etc. But i've never seen this as to actually work in deactivating it when I play, so not sure whether its a random bug or what. Also Vania, considering not many people even know that this might work, drawbridges are not useless. They kill people who are unaware quite easily.

EDIT: However, I just thought of a good way to stop that if that IS the case. Just make the first block of the pit empty. Use backwall if you have to. That way they can't possibly hit the first drawbridge. But in order to scale the gap they have to jump to it and will fall in. Or they just fall in anyways.

Although, builders can do the whole deactivating business by putting a block in the empty space. But since builders usually just counter pits with ladders anyway this makes little difference.

16. Alox

Alox Shipwright

Neat,
    "[24978] <Alox> hello mm
    [25028] <MM> hey
    [26249] <Alox> when you hit a drawbridge one time they stop working ?
    [26375] <MM> yes"

17. Neat

Alox while you have no real motive to lie, that could be a fake conversation, so i'll hold out till this is confirmed by an actual post by him.

18. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Nah hitting drawbridges like that does work and is a little frustrating.
    [​IMG]
    (excuse the dodgy lines)
    I think a winch block like that would work a lot better for these sort of things - friendly users would be able to hit E in a small radius of the block to make the interactive tiles around it function - opening/closing doors (-> crushing people in doors perhaps) or retracting/extending bridges. It also means builders can "override the controls" by removing the old winch block and building their team's block - your bridges and doors would then be something to guard.

This would mean that doors and bridges wouldn't have a team. I kind of prefer that.

What do you think?

19. Neat

I think its a nice idea for drawbridge like constructions but with doors i'm not so sure, considering that sometimes doors are the only defence left against someone who has snuck in past the frontline trying to steal the flag, and it delays them. What if the door was left open? The automatic open and close business of doors is very convenient for me. But the satisfaction of removing a trap bridge under the enemies feet would be great!

I know this would be unneeded complexity but maybe this should be added in on top of drawbridges and doors already in the game, to give a bit of freedom of choice.

20. illu

Yay, more interactive blocks/structures would be awesome!