1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

New build discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MM, Jul 8, 2011.

1. poe

poe Shopkeep Stealer

That would make builders much more vital as characters to get to the front lines, which I think would be great considering how much they usually turtle.

2. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Hahah, this was the first thing MM said when I brought it up with him. If I had my way, the door would stay open until you or a team-mate closed it - the kind of people most likely to leave the front door open are also more likely to not use doors at all and build those useless walls with ladders on both side mid-map, the kind you should teach how to play the game properly :P

However, I think doors would slowly slide closed again to give the forgetful ones a break. If the door wasn't "manually" closed it could just slowly shut itself.

Ideally, I'd love them to slide like so (an old drawing from before I'd had the "winch box" idea)
    [​IMG]
    However I think that for now that'd be too tricky to teach to new users without a dedicated tutorial mission - you'd need to leave some space between the winch and the door so it could raise up.

You know what, here's a link to the "Interactive Fortress" concept that the older parts of these are coming from.
    LINK HERE CLICK ME

Personally, I think the winch object would be an excellent solution. Doorladders could all be hooked up to one winch object with connective tiles so that they could be opened/closed together - there could be a winch at both the top and the bottom to allow you to "lock up" as you got inside.

Heck, it'd even allow people to open the door for each other. I want to make this game more fun for those working together. Michal is a lot more cautious about designing it towards very public-friendly play but I think some sacrifices there might make it more fun for those who're actually willing to work together. Playing in games where the team is working together to get a raid done effectively or a fort put up quickly is excellent fun already, I think we should aim for improving that more than making it more fun for players not working together.

3. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

I see griefing potential, but I think we should see how that plays out first. It seems like too fun of an idea to be shot down by such a thing.

4. Vania

Vania Guest

I dont know Geti...

Being the designated door or bridge operator (door bitch) sounds kinda boring...

5. poe

poe Shopkeep Stealer

This would be a huge issue :<
    I would feel so guilty asking someone to change it, unless maybe there was a redstone equivalent, then builders could have a command post!

6. illu

illu En Garde! Donator Tester

omg...I love you...this looks so awesome...post more of such sketches...omg...the possiblities D: *nerdrage*

7. saniblues

[​IMG]

This is the only notable downside I see to this.

Apronymous likes this.
  8. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

That would have so much griefing potential :(

9. saniblues

With the bridges, if it gradually dropped the bridge instead of doing it instantly (how it is now), it probably wouldn't be so bad. Leaves room for error, makes it possible to raid someone's base if the person at the controls isn't paying close enough attention.

10. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

That looks fantastic as usual Geti, though I don't agree with crushing. I don't really like the idea of any one hit kills in this game unless they give a lot of warning, like the Knight's bomb. Particularly with something that can cause your own or your teamate's actions to kill yourseld. I like the idea of encouraging single layers of doors and therefor encouraging frontal assaults, but I think a light bonk or something on the head might be better as accidentally dying to your own door has a very high frustration quotient which I think is the worst thing to have in a game.

Also, I love all these pictures by Geti and Sani. I think cute little comics would be great promotional material. Could really build a little bit of lore and personality to the game much like TF2 has.

11. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I like this a lot. This will also regenerate the map after some time so it doesn't look like cheese.

Hahaha love that.

I'm currently biased towards having a controler for opening doors/drawbridges but they would drop back automatically. People don't close doors behind them in real life, how can you expect them to do that in a computer game?

12. FinDude

FinDude KAG Guard Tester

Geti, in your comic's situation the knight is already close enough to just jump and either reach the builder or the edge of the pit.
    And what exactly happens when the knight falls into the pit? He loses a heart, if any, and then continues to despike the entire place and tunnel his way out of there.

But yeah, that sort of thing would be pretty cool. Crushing people would be fun, but other way around...
    I don't think it's a good idea to give a single player ability to instantly bypass these mechanisms, though.

If a guy slips through the frontline it's completely impossible for them to catch him without an archer. Period.

Michal, I wouldn't expect the players to know how to walk.

The issue with current digging is that mass is not conserved. If a dirt block is mined, it is gone forever. Linking this regeneration to digging activities would be nice.
    Say, if the dirt particles from digging a block filled a block's area tile sufficiently, that tile could be filled to some extent, perhaps a dedicated scrap dirt block.
    (The particles' base starting velocity should be the vector from the tile being mined to the miner)

Combined with support or air requirement, or both, a lone player would be having a hard time digging himself a tunnel.

13. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

The "door bitch" problem is comical - however you would be able to open the door from both sides so unless it's been built in such a way that it requires someone up the top to operate it (perhaps this would happen in clan matches where you don't want to build structures the enemy can repurpose for their own needs easily) -> there wouldn't need to be a "door bitch" ;)

FinDude:
    I think if fall damage were (re)introduced then there might simply be a large pit under the bridge and he'd meet a sticky end at the bottom. Spikes should probably be instant kill at terminal velocity anyway.

I don't like that one guy can outrun everyone, but I'm not sure of the best way to fix that - a stamina bar that depletes while running and drops a lot when a player jumps or melees (-> instantly giving the defending team a massive, massive advantage) could be good but might be complicated as well.

I very much like the idea of dirt being placed behind you while digging and some sort of conservation of matter. Perhaps you could carry the earth clods elsewhere or throw them at enemies, or use them to slowly slowly fill in ravines.

14. Vania

Vania Guest

Definitely, otherwise its too easy to remove all the spikes.

I dont want to see dirt bridges though... But the idea sounds cool.
    There would have to be some limitations on how you use dirt, like: dirt needs to be placed on top of a solid block always.

15. Contrary

Ok I gave it another shot. I am now terrible at this game, but I think that even if I wasn't I would still hate this patch.

My suggestions: take 1HKO archer hit out, it only leads to lucky kills and campiness. A lot of the time you NEED to rely on taking a hit in order to break a stalemate. Campy buttholes already had a huge advantage, they don't need even more. Maybe make full charge 1.5 damage? I understand the taking out full charge jumping, but its easy enough to time your jumps to charges. It just makes takes out a lot of the skill as there are now no fakeouts or timing involved, just spam.

Also catapults blocking arrows is a mess. An archer can sit in a catapult, shoot out for free, be invulnerable to all arrows, AND operate the catapult at the same time. I think being able to snipe catapults with arrows is cute, but I don't think its worth making catapults magical forcefields.

Outposts no longer gives free ammo? Yet another way this game is rewarding bad and/or boring play, by only giving people who die often enough ammo.

Catapults are still too powerful. I think reduce their fire rate? I think they should be for siege breaking, no a constant area-denial that again, supports camping. I'd make them fire slower, consume more ammo, only throw one rock, but do more damage. I think they are important for siege breaking but their killing power is still too strong.

Again, please for the love of god at least include an option to take that charge bar out. Its embarrassing.

16. Aoki

Aoki Guest

Im glad I helps out pointing out what's wrong with KAG right now playing against Contrary today :) . I agree with Contrary however Im not really specific into smaller details.

What's frustrating me is how magically our own Drawbridge kills off people when its closing. I mean, when enemy steps on it, bridge retracts, okay that's cool, but after that if you're sitting exactly where the Drawbridge is, it will blows u almost instantly.

I even did use enemy Drawbridge to turn the table trap around, what I mean is, using enemy drawbridge to kill off their own LOL

and I believe Drawbridge need to be tweaked, when it damaged, it will make enemy able to use the bridge for themselves and they can work their way around simply by damaging the rest. I believe even when damaged, Drawbridge should still works and retracts + not killing own team.

Also Im not sure if it make sense but destroying outpost / catapult with arrows kinda... weird.. realistically speaking. Altho its pretty cool to be able to do so.

Anyways that's what I think.

17. Vania

Vania Guest

I'm not sure what Contrary means by camping...

I mean this is a game about building castles and siege weapons and assaulting fortresses, of course it's gonna be campy, that's just the nature of the game. I dont see anything wrong with that.
    It's the awful meleeing and ridiculous bunny hoping that bothers me to be honest, and of course the fact that the map gets full of holes very quickly.

I think the devs are taking this game in the right direction by emphasizing building and sieging, after all there's lots of fast paced action games out there, with much more interesting combat than KAG.

18. Contrary

To me the game is like TF2 or Killzone 2 or anything like those. A slow push game. It's not as aggressive like Soldat or CoD but not many people would call TF2 campy, even though it is a very defensive game. Games like TF2 and Killzone 2 are more about aggressive defense where you defend, but you push when you have an opportunity, even just a small foothold. But anyways that's on the macroscopic scale.

I was primarily talking about small engagements. Even just on normal terrain you know that its better to make the enemy come to you than to go to them. For example a couple times I've been against an archer and we've both had "perfect" cover. Two tile high walls each with roughly equal elevation. Who's gonna win? The guy that charges forward? No. The guy who stays back and waits for the other guy to charge? Yes. Before it was possible to charge, maybe tank a hit, then jump around and dodge and land a couple lucky hits. Now you can't because the first hit kills you.

19. Geti

-> have a knight throw a bomb over and flush them out.

I've got to run but I'm keen to see more changes to combat. It was in an acceptable place a few builds ago, then archers got super spammy and there seemed to be more lag (probably due to anti-hack checks) so meleeing didn't work.

I agree that the drawbridge is.. average. I don't like that it gibs you at all. I think it should function as a permeable surface, something you can jump upwards through (with W as normal) or drop down through (using S - holy smokes the crouch button has a function besides laddering!) -> no gibbing and a more organic use for it.

That and winch blocks are my main issues with the terrain at this point, as well as the image I sent last night, Michal (nothing interesting for you folks, just some technical changes I'd like to see regarding grass in caves and types of dirt).

20. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@Contrary: In order to break a stalemate you need teamwork now. Get a knight up front shielding you so you can move in for the kill.

If you're up against an archer already behind a knight? Well then, you need two archers - both firing at the same time - to slip through the momentary break in shielding.

I think it works. Its just harder to solo now.