1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

New coin start amount?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cobramuziek86, May 27, 2016.

1. Cobramuziek86

Cobramuziek86 Arsonist

Apparently, theres a new amount of coins you start with since the last update? I'm not sure if this is intended, but I feel this unbalances TDM quite a bit, when you start out, or got no kills, the knights have enough for 1 bomb, but the archers cant buy any special arrows anymore. :(

Magmus, an_obamanation, Osmal and 3 others like this.
  2. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

yeah its dumb. there is no different strategies in tdm anymore - just archer or knight with 1 bomb. before, you could buy just about anything except kegs but now its even more repetitive.

daskew87 likes this.
  3. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

It makes knight players sad too. I used to love buying two bombs and double bomb jumping on to someones head, or maybe delaying the second bomb so I could chuck it into their face. Now? It's just one bomb and if you miss that archer you're in for a long run around the map match. But it's not that hard to miss the archer depending on who they are, so it just makes matches worse for everyone. I'd like 40 coins to start with, that aint so bad. Allows for two bombs, archers can buy fire arrows and water arrows but it doesn't allow for knights to buy one bomb and one waterbomb. Nor does it allow for archers to buy a bomb arrow at the start of every match, instead they gotta get the ten coins, makes them kinda earn it.

Another thing that bothers me about the coin economy is that sponges are 20 coins!? They should be 10 in my book. The sponges serve absolutely no purpose other than blocking waterbombs, so having them in your inventory is a gamble since you never know when people are buying waterbombs. But also the fact that sponges are just sitting there taking up inventory space, blocking room for things like hearts, grain, burgers, bombs, etc. I would much rather buy them for 10 than 20. Especially considering that 4 sponges then = the price of a fuckin keg! When it's a gamble if you're gonna use them or not!

4. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

sponges arent even worth buying anymore cause everyone is too poor to even buy a water bomb

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Reason sponges aren't cheaper is a lot of the TDM maps rely on water for their layout and buying lots of sponges can disrupt that. If they were 10c you could buy 5 of them with relative ease (one kill the match before) and drain large sections of the map. I'm ok with that happening for 100c but 50 seems a bit cheap. They're not "just for blocking water bombs".

Re: prices vs kegs - Kegs aren't as useful in TDM as they are in CTF because noone gives a shit if you blow up some building, and you're slow so they can just avoid you.

Re: "what about the poor poor archers" - if we give archers special arrows then knights complain that bombs are "normal" ammo and why do archers get spec. If we take bombs away knights complain they cant jump around or even catch archers because "boo hoo kiting why is the ranged class able to do this???". Values were chosen to reward people who got a kill (or at least some dmg) and didn't die previous round with more options.

Re: "pls change" - you can change the cfg without your server even appearing modded afaik, look in tdm_vars.cfg and come up with something fun, suggest it + have people's support and I'm sure we can work out incorporating that into vanilla.

Magmus likes this.
  6. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

I completely forgot that a majority had water. With that bit of knowledge yeah, sponges are fine at 20 lol.

Magmus likes this.
  7. Cobramuziek86

Cobramuziek86 Arsonist

Sad to hear it :(

Osmal, Magmus and Blue_Tiger like this.
  8. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

are u suggesting i must buy a server so i can enjoy a good game of tdm?