1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Nikke's maps

Discussion in 'Maps' started by wildnikke, Jul 24, 2013.

?

What do u think of my maps

1. Good

15.4%
  2. Could be better

61.5%
  3. Improve alot

7.7%
  4. Bad

15.4%
  1. wildnikke

wildnikke Burner Donator

1st map

2nd map

Attached Files:

2. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

If I were to be honest (which I'm going to be), these maps are pretty bad. They are bad for the following reasons:
    1. In both maps, Blue has a very clear and obvious advantage. They have easier access to stone + gold and in fact even have more stone. If it were for TDM/RTDM, then the lack of mirroring would be fine, but in that case these maps would be ridiculously boring.
    2. Defense is ridiculously powerful simply due to height. This makes capping flags and getting past mid (or even keeping mid or any reasonable amount of time) nearly impossible.
    3. Mainly using a 2x2 brush just makes the map look bad aesthetically. You need to use the pencil as well. If these were made for TDM/RTDM, then people could stall forever by just staying at their base since it's so high.
    4. The fact that you put your name in stone over the map is bad. Use stone backwall (or wooden backwall) if you are going to put your name on it. This prevents someone from collapsing it and causing damage.
    5. For the amount of stone you have, there is way too much gold.
    How to Improve yourself:
    Right now your resources are like the 1st pic, Make them more like the second pic. In other words, don't be lazy and only stick with the brush. It'll look unnatural and bad. Use the Pencil tool instead. In fact, the better you get at map making, the more time you'll spend using the pencil, rather than the brush.
    resouces.png
    Additionally, mirror your map after you place all the resources you want, not before you place them if it's for CTF.
    Lastly, don't just paint resources all willy nilly. It looks lazy. Place resources in viable places, use bedrock to in certain places to prevent people from simply making straight tunnels, limit how much gold you put on a map and make it look like the resources were placed naturally (unless of course you have some sort of themed "exotic" map sort of thing).

Froghead48 and Drusse like this.
  3. wildnikke

wildnikke Burner Donator

Thank's for the advice looking for some positives too but never mind :/

4. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Well 1 positive I can give is that it's at least playable. Far too often, I've seen new players make maps that you can't even play on. It was almost like they never even played KAG before. If the maps were mirrored, at the very least they'd be better than 75% of maps made by new map makers. I'm only being harsh so you can improve.

5. wildnikke

wildnikke Burner Donator

I know i needed negatives alot too thanks kouji and i will try harder nexxt time

6. Your maps are quite good but not awesome.

7. wildnikke

wildnikke Burner Donator

Thanks c:

8. Pecola1033

Pecola1033 Drill Rusher
    1. Delta Force - Delta

How do i mirror a map useing paint.net

9. wildnikke

wildnikke Burner Donator

Tbh, I do not know, I don't mirror them, I do it all by hand if I want the same sides

10. Kouji

If you want to mirror in paint.net, do the following:
    1. Decide how wide you want your map to be in total and change the canvas size to your map desired map size, eg something like 50x100
    2. Use the selection tool, this one: mirroring.png , and select half the total canvas. So if your map is 50 pixels tall and 100 pixels wide, you'd select the left most side 50 pixels by 50 pixels to highlight. It'd look like this: mirroring2.png
    3. After that, just create half of the map inside what is shown in the blue square. It actually won't let you draw outside the selected area anyways.
    4. Once you finish that, press ctrl + c to copy it
    5. Press ctrl +v to paste the copy
    6. At this point you'll see little squares surrounding the pasted box (in the corners and middle of every side). Click on the left most tab and drag it to the other side until it's the exact same size as it was originally, however it will be flipped
    7. Press ctrl + d and change anything the right side that was Blue's to Red's color.
    Mirrored map done.

Gurin and Fellere825 like this.
  11. Pecola1033

Pecola1033 Drill Rusher
    1. Delta Force - Delta