1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

No one smiles anymore ;)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Solomon-Grundy, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Solomon-Grundy

Solomon-Grundy Shopkeep Stealer

Ever since the 1,2,3,4.... numbered quick-talk icons got buried in the F1 help menu, it seems like no one uses them anymore. It used to be an easy and pleasant way to have at least some minimal interaction with people, and seemed to add a lot of character to the game.

Anyone else miss them?

2. Nebuchadnezzar

Nebuchadnezzar Shopkeep Stealer

I hadn't noticed people weren't using them. They're still there, I don't see how you can possibly miss them...

3. Solomon-Grundy

Well, you could miss them if you never press F1 after the first time you play the game. ;)

4. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

People just aren't informed about them now they are gone. That doesn't mean I want them stuck on my interface anymore. Have them put up by default and allow people to just remove them via options sounds good.

5. laurentiu

laurentiu Ballista Bolt Thrower

I like to use them, especially the exclamation smile when an enemy bomb is near! :D

6. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I make an effort to use them all the time.

I am a Knight and need a worker to make me some ladders -> I run up to a worker and jump up and down in place, alternating 1 and 8 until I get tired of jumping up and and down and then I sit with a 3 or 4 on my face.

I kill someone at close range -> I ignore all else around me, quickly press 2 and proceed to ferociously teabag their brains out.

I spam 1 and 0 and 4 when charging enemies, 0 and 9 to communicate castle breaking, etc. 6 and 3 when an ally has down something especially dumb. Etc etc.

Beef likes this.
  7. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Yep I use them all the time too. One of the most fun things is when someone replies with one. But as you said, that rarely happens anymore. I wish it did.

Frank likes this.
  8. Bene

Bene Free cookies for everyone! ☭ Donator Tester

I also think that people use them less. That's not good with the game beeing played more and more international. They make basic communication easy because everyone understands them.

9. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

That's probably the best thing about them. You don't need to shout "SACRE BLEU, LE ROUGE EST UN ATTACKING" over and over, you just throw up the exclamation marks. You don't have to type up "Trollface.jpg" after trapping a builder in a corner, and throwing in a bomb after them, you just hit 5.

Maybe once the huge flood of new blood hangs around a bit they'll start using them more, I dunno.

10. Jimlad11

Jimlad11 Shipwright

I'm glad it isn't just me who still uses them, for all the reasons stated above. It is a shame the new players don't use them though, as it helps a hell of a lot on the battlefield. Many times have I used the ladder emote and seen builders staring at it in amazement...

"Wha...how did you...I...HE'S A WIZARD!"

11. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Yeah I wish that they would be used more too. Was so hilarious once, when our team took enemies flag, and all of them showed the '4' emoticon in the same time :D

12. Mani

Mani Shipwright

They're not getting used anymore because no-one reads the F1 menu properly. It was much friendlier when everyone used the smilies...

13. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

I still say that make them to disappear in half and make them pop up when mouse is pointed over them.

14. hansel

hansel Shopkeep Stealer

I noticed that too. Most of the time I am the only one using them. +1 for turning them on as a default.

Also I think we need some new ones:
    -"Stop"
    -"Move"
    -"Don't build this here"
    -"Don't do this"
    -"Why are you doing this you turd?"

15. illu

illu En Garde! Donator Tester

Oh yeah, good old emotes!
    [​IMG]
    I'm missing them too.

16. Solomon-Grundy

I didn't even think of the language barrier that the emoticons bridge! Another reason to bring them back from the dead.

+1 for having them on by default.

17. SirSalami

SirSalami THD Team THD Team Administrator

I spam them all the time, almost to an annoying degree i'm sure :).

I agree with changing the available emotes around as well. A sword icon (attack) and a shield (defend) would be useful imo.

It had been mentioned at one point that the emotes are intended to be somehow aim-able, which is a really cool idea, especially in the context of an expanded map view.

Also, as i stated in a previous post, i'd like to see an emote menu, especially if they're aim-able at some point.

18. TRagePawz

TRagePawz Shipwright

Well i have seen only a few use it

19. Overlord

Overlord KAG Guard Tester

The most I use the emotes for is " !!!" upon falling a long drop to my death, so I don't use it much ;)

20. 16th

16th Bison Rider

it's true. but i still use them!