1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

No one smiles anymore ;)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Solomon-Grundy, Sep 8, 2011.

1. MrKaputtnik

MrKaputtnik Shopkeep Stealer

I heard, they're only clientside now. I asked some people 'can you see this?' and they all said no.

2. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Are you kidding me? That's sad :(.

3. Neat

You know those one word posts are going to get deleted right?

4. laurentiu

laurentiu Ballista Bolt Thrower

Is that good? >.<

Edited by Shadlington: Deleted your posts, don't be a smart ass. Rules are rules.

5. MrKaputtnik

MrKaputtnik Shopkeep Stealer

No, I guess you didn't know that you can edit your posts.

edit: see?
    *cough* doublepost *cough*

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Wow I hope they aren't clientside only. I'll have to pester MM about that if it is as that undermines the whole point of them.

Also, we're thinking a grid menu like the builder's tiles would be nice as we're planning mutliple sets of emoticons.

y/n and why if no please.

7. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I think a menu might be too slow. Even pressing one button is a bit of a hassle, more than that might be too much for a purely communicative mechanic. Speed is imperative for this sort of thing.

edit: i love talking seriously with this avatar

8. Overlord

Overlord KAG Guard Tester

Yeah like contrary said that would be to slow you should just stick to the 1-9 thing and if your going to make more emotes like commands or whatever have another key thats near them to cycle through like emotes or commands that would be splendid.

9. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

If they don't get brought back in the next build I will hook up MM, tie him into a chair and play his best games all week along while he's crying and watching me in despair.

10. Neat

What I personally think should happen, is make loads and loads of emoticons for every situation possible. Add them to a massive list, and let people choose the ones they want to use for the hotkeys. Make the hotkeys f1,f2,f3 rather than 123 and make 123 builder blocks.

EDIT: Me and monsteri tested it in a server. Emoticons are now only clientside, they don't work anymore :(

11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Yeah me and Garciat tested it today as well. @Contrary: I think having the default ones on 1-0 would be good, and then having all the other more specific ones in a grouped grid. You'd be able to change the hotkeyed ones but I think a grid is more or less necessary if we have a bunch of emoticons.

I also think they should be shown to whatever channel you're talking on -> team only emoticon yelling as well.

12. Bene

Bene Free cookies for everyone! ☭ Donator Tester

I like the ideas. Team emoticons would be great so you don't tell everybody that you're in need of a ladder or sth. Maybe it would be good if the players could change the settings in a menue to their own needs.

Offtopic: Why does everyone have that face as profile picture?

13. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Its a crazy new trend to photoshop one of the mods avatars to there own twisted needs

14. Xzal

Xzal Shipwright

For the issue of "More Emotes" have each key have a cyclable set of emotes.

For example :

Press 1 once for :)
    Press 1 twice for :S
    Press 1 thrice for :(

15. Geti

Xzal: why not a menu? Multiple keypresses would be more distracting, I think.

16. Utahraptor

Utahraptor Hulk Hogan Tester

Current system works good imo, even thought I frown when I mean to smile sometimes. Also people are smiling back finally and its awesome.

17. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Just make it optional. If they want the current setup then its fine, if they don't then they can use the menu option. Forcing a new menu onto players used to the old key press emoticons will turn some people off. Nonetheless if you want to implement an emoticon menu for the new players into the game you can make that the default.

18. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

How to make smilies used: change all of them to Shadlington's face.

Bam. Problem solved.

Shadlington and Neat like this.
  19. Xzal

Xzal Shipwright

Multiple key presses is essentially a menu, however by assigning that menus controls to keypresses you'll have less gui clutter and less need to move the mouse for it.

It also means you could have any combination of 000 to 999 for smilies (which is ridiculous tbh) and the common smilies would be easier remembered as a three digit combination instead of a "screen position", unless this is ofc what you meant by a menu. When I read menu I thought it was implying a mouse menu (like the builders).

20. Darklight

Darklight Shipwright

Personally I loved the lack of smileys. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing a knight hacking away at our wall and flashing that stupid smile just as it collapses.