1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Noobs in Action: Constructive Criticism Edition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kyzak, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Kyzak

Kyzak Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

In the interest of good fun and constructive criticism, this thread is getting a fresh start. Basic guidelines to follow, abridged from this post by the handsome FuzzyBlueBaron:

Keep your criticism constructive; "this is bad, here's why and how to fix it" is the idea.
    Don't single someone out by name (or clan, for that matter) and make fun of them.
    Be respectful; don't belittle others (whether specifically or in general).
    Avoid anything else that might serve to alienate people from our community (new or experienced).

Let's keep things in good spirits, yes?

Magpie_, buster-boy17, Mulpy and 8 others like this.
  2. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

There's one problem that will have to be solved before we go any further; how to not only take the horse to water (which we can do), but make that fucker slurp down all that delicious ass drank.

I propose a "carrot" style approach. Provide a link, in the confirmation email, linking to the variety of quick tutorial threads we have, one for each class, along with a line like;

Or something. Perhaps with some art of a training ground a la kag2d.com?

Any "stick" style approach will only alienate or annoy people, I think, so best to try and steer as many people as possible, as early on as possible, to try and avoid the skill gap between people fresh to the fight and people who've even played a day or two.

Mulpy, GloriousToast and thebonesauce like this.
  3. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Ballista Bolt Thrower

So basically what you're saying is this thread should be renamed to

Noobs In Action: Do the Damn Tutorial Edition

4. kiro

kiro Garde KAG Donator Tester

Players could have a level that increases with time played, and then servers could accept only players who reached a certain level.

That way you can have newbies servers and veteran servers.

buster-boy17 and superpokes like this.
  5. FlameHaze3

FlameHaze3 Shark Slayer

I would enjoy this, very very much.

6. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Even better than that would be if the in game tutorials didn't suck so much and players were required to complete those.

7. FlameHaze3

FlameHaze3 Shark Slayer

Well i read somwhere that there will be a rather difficult single player challenge/practice map at some point, so you can expect that skill will rise whenever that is released.
    Hopefully patch 1.0 *crosses fingers*

8. Brandon816

Brandon816 Ballista Bolt Thrower

We can't really rely on convincing the devs to force players to do the tutorial, so all we can do is create tutorial servers and advertise. Examples could be low and high level parkour maps, low skill combat maps (moderated to kick out smurfs and the like), and maps displaying highly functional structures for building purposes (all players being the archer class so that nothing can be added or removed from the structures).

I would hope that if it became popular enough, the devs might consider adding another gameplay mode to servers for "tutorials", and then go to the server browser under that category instead of having the incomplete built-in tutorials we have now.

On a related note, I recently joked with someone on a RTDM server that it was left click to attack, because all they did was shield. They thanked me and started attacking from that point on. -.-

9. RichEdmonds

RichEdmonds The Ostrich Rider Donator

Not everyone reads the forum, though? I'm up for a more advanced tutorial clearly showing the player how to build a basic tower (no ground doors, etc.) and then offer some advice on other aspects of the game, which will provide the player with enough detail to get started and easily learn from other players. But the tutorial can only do so much, it's up to that individual to learn from advice provided from others.

Gofio likes this.
  10. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

another problem is that in the tutorial, the castle you are supposed to rebuild has grounddoors

11. Bunnyboy

Bunnyboy Haxor

I've been thinking about doing this for a while now, but does anyone know how to mod signs in game? I would like to make my own tutorial, just an expansion of the one now. Even if no one used it, I'd just make it to give me something to do. :P

12. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

I've tried, it seems like its impossible.

buster-boy17 likes this.
  13. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

Notice how this thread is not nearly as popular as the other one.

14. Riletyface

Riletyface Horde Gibber

May as well post a picture from a few weeks back. This was intended to protect our team, hence the inability of a way to get over it.
    KAG 2012-06-16 12-10-20-18.png

15. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

*wants to offer constructive criticism but doesn't seem to know how*​
    *feels sad*​
    :(​
    //NB: this post may have been, well, improved... >.> ...but in all seriousness, guys: constructive comments or not at all. Ta! ;) ~fbb

16. RichEdmonds

RichEdmonds The Ostrich Rider Donator

I get the feeling that some forget that should a block be removed with nothing to support it in the air, then the sweet physics engine will kick into action. If that wall was quickly erected to allow the team to fall back and regroup and prevent knights being flung over the tower then I would assume it served its purpose?

This is definitely something that has to be highlighted in the tutorial more clearly with tower construction. At least 2 blocks wide, along with what else makes a solid tower (stone block foundations, etc.). As for how to improve this tower? Adding in a second and third column of stone, with doors included for cliff climbing. Problem is it's at quite a height too.

17. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

why do they always do that.
    cmon. its not like I posted a name?
    do I have to tell eveyone what I said to him?
    well, lets see..
    Ive laughed and cried for ten minutes,
    after which I explained that this was not the way to build.
    then he refused to change his "nice building"
    so I accidentally removed one block, which destroyed his whole construction.
    he finally saw his own failure and became a better player.
    after that we played happily ever after.
    the end.

...is this better?
    I still dislike people who build ground doors and forget the backwalls.

18. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

Constructive critisism?
    Towers work better when they have walls.

Cirom, Froghead48, Gofio and 2 others like this.
  19. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Much better, Gofio. You are a paragon of virtue; an example to us all. ;)

20. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

i built one of those just recently. i used it near the enemy base as a quick wall to stop enemy advances, needless to say it didn't last long. just a though it is always a good idea to put a block hanging off to the enemy sides so that it does some damage to unwary foes.
    bad gofio, bad griefer

screen-12-08-10-13-08-46.png
    heres an example of a building lacking of back walls and lacking a way back in.
    backwalls everywhere in the building and a simple launchpads would suffice to get back in

buster-boy17 and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.