1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Nuclear Throne

Discussion in 'Other games' started by FuzzyBlueBaron, Jan 13, 2015.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

So, thanks to @Miaow gifting me a copy of NT I've been burning up copious amount of time trying to get through it. Until ~5 minutes ago the furthest I'd ever gotten was 3_3, however I then happened upon what is probably the most OP build in the game:

Chicken w/ a lightning gun as an alt weapon (OP as fuck) and the mutations you see below (all of which, when combined with the sword and time-slow ability of chicken, make it probably the most durable build possible). Also a fuck ton of fun running around slicing everything into sushi, blocking/reflecting most bullets that come your way, and liberally abusing bullet time to pick your way through a sticky situation.
    damnit.png
    I died in the above ss due to my computer lagging out in the middle of me cutting my way through a literal shitstorm of bullets. So maid. :rektlord:

What are other people's preferred builds/strategies?

2. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Luigi gifted me this.

upon starting it up, it makes a loud scream at me then promptly crashes the entire process for the game.

. . .

3. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower

That's too bad, @Rayne! The game is really quite good, and the development team is very responsive. They'd probably welcome a bug report about that.

I actually did reach the nuclear throne exactly once, and then died before beating the final boss. I used Chicken quite a bit initially, but now my favorite is Yung Venuz. His special power helps make bad guns less bad, in case you're not getting good drops. Also, a note about the scarier face mutation: It only reduces enemies' max health by one, so at the beginning, when guys have 2-3 health, its amazing, but when you get as far at @FuzzyBlueBaron did, it matters quite a bit less. Feel free to hit me up and we'll talk strategy!

This game is infuriating, addictive, and a lot of fun all at once! If only I could overclock my nervous system so I could win! LOL

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  4. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

@hierbo, I've been steadily avoiding the urge to spoiler myself by reading the wiki, but I'd be interested to hear some of your wisdom & insight, senpai. I thought Y.V.'s ability only gave you a pop-pop gun? How does it actually work?

5. FuzzyBlueBaron

:QQ:
    damnit1.png

Those fucking great four footed green things. Frigging impossible to kill. :V

jimmyzoudcba likes this.
  6. hierbo

Hey, the palace! You ARE so close! Regarding the YV special move: It is called Pop pop, but I doesn't actually give you the pop gun (thank goodness; that gun is on my "never take" list). What it does is fire whatever gun you're currently holding twice at once. Its very good for weapons that have a lot of punch. For example, I can use the slugger almost all the way to the end of the game, because 2x slugger shots will kill almost anything. Its not that helpful with machine-gun type things though because it does its thing at the expense of rate of fire. It also doesn't work on melee weapons :~[ . In addition to his special, all of his attacks have a higher rate of fire by default. YVs throne but power expands that pop pop move to 4x shots.

7. Sir_Walter

Sir_Walter Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

Really awesome game. My favorite classes are probably YV, robot, and plant. The farthest I've gotten is the stage after the bird lands (the creepy cavern and stuff). Ps @hierbo, I'd be interested to know why you don't like the pop gun?

E: I got to icelands a while ago and forgot to mention it.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    J-man2003 likes this.
  8. hierbo

Hey, glad to see so many people play it! I only came to the conclusion that the pop gun and some other guns are bad very recently.

Once you start aiming high and trying to win, rather than simply survive for the next 30 seconds, it causes your decision making to change. One of the big things I began to realize is that ammo is a huge deal in the long run. If you are not conservative with ammo, you WILL run out and meet a premature death while defenseless.

That brings me to the pop gun. It seems awesome. It mows down guys, its bullets even ricochet like shotgun shells, increasing its versatility. Then, you see it chowing down on your ammo like its an all-you-can-eat buffet. It is actually possible to use 100% of your bullets in a single stage. So, in short, this gun is simply not sustainable for any length of time, even with all the pro-ammo and pro-bullet mutations. Because of that, it is really not a good idea to use it even for a little while; you will regret it.

That is actually true of a lot of guns. Always keep an eye on your ammo. If you play as Eyes, you can afford to keep SEVERAL eyes on it.

J-man2003 and Sir_Walter like this.
  9. Sir_Walter

Oh god, in high level play you have to conserve ammo? I prefer just blasting like a maniac :(. However, I see your point. With this view of weapons, what would you consider the best weapon(s)?

10. hierbo

I'd say that my favorites are these, generally in order of least favorite to most (unmentioned guns are not favorites):

Sewers and earlier
    Machine Gun
    Screwdriver
    Flame Shotgun
    Plasma Gun
    Slugger
    Wrench
    Shovel
    Sledgehammer
    Grenade Launcher

Scrapyard and earlier
    Flame Shotgun
    Plasma Gun/Rifle
    Wrench
    Slugger
    Shovel
    Sledgehammer
    Grenade Launcher

Frozen Wasteland (or whatever its called) and earlier
    Flame Shotgun
    Double Flame Shotgun
    Plasma Gun/Rifle
    Slugger
    Grenade Launcher
    Various higher level guns (don't wanna spoiler later guns)
    Sledgehammer

Note that there is a lot of circumstance in gun selection; these are not hard and fast rules about what's better. For instance, a grenade launcher is way less awesome if you only have 4 explosives ammo. Also, depending on which character you're using, you may find the weapons fit your style of play differently.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  11. FuzzyBlueBaron

Something I've found is that Chicken is perfect for getting through the earlier stages of the game, but she doesn't really put out enough damage to kill off enough baddies to survive once you reach the palace. Maybe if I can get a good (high dmg) weapon drop to pair with my sword. Hmm...

12. Sir_Walter

Chicken doesn't work well on my macbook, being that it only has one mouse button, so I can't slow down time and attack at the same time. :(

13. FuzzyBlueBaron

PC masterrace! :rekt:

(srsly though, just go buy a 15$ wireless PC mouse)

J-man2003 likes this.
  14. hierbo

No wonder you haven't beaten it yet! You're suffering from a debilitating button deficiency!

15. FuzzyBlueBaron

So it turns out that giving chicken the shovel, all the mutations that affect melee attacks (incl. having rhinoskin and being on 1 health with the stress mutation), makes you practically invulnerable + unstoppable until your computer lags out on you. I was able to quite literally, while holding down RMB to slow time, run around levels breaking EVERYTHING with the shovel in seconds flat. And then my computer hiccuped. And then almost got defenestrated. :rektlord:

J-man2003 likes this.
  16. DatNobby

DatNobby Haxor

Horror is the best character, hands down.
    That beam just tears shit apart if you use it right.

17. Sir_Walter

Too lazy to re-unlock him every update ;-;

Also updateeee: my highscore is now like 5_1 or 2 (the snowlands or whatever). I got killed by some random wack thing that was flying and then just landed on me. Queue desk flip.

Edit edit: turns out that I was killed by the boss of the area, and therefore made it to 5_3.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  18. FuzzyBlueBaron

Novice question, but, how the hell do you unlock horror? Got everyone else, but can't for the life of my work out how to get him? :huh?:

19. DatNobby

DatNobby Haxor

Don't get the radiation cans 3 times in a row.
    Be prepared, because Horror can tear you a new one.

J-man2003 likes this.
  20. hierbo

To unlock Horror, you must:
    find and skip 4 (I think)consecutive radiation canisters.

When you do, Horror will appear as an enemy in the next level. If you manage to kill him, he'll be unlocked.

J-man2003 likes this.
Mods: BlueLuigi