1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

< Nuking the list as a stop-gap >

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Leo, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Leo

Leo Haxor

@Geti Can you please fix this bug ? Crashed both my US servers yesterday, again.

2. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

It's a long standing issue that "un-hides" the "server vanishes from list" bug, if you remember that one. It tries to unblock the list unsafely and either fixes the problem for a short time, or crashes the server; either way the server owner realises and puts it back up.

Unfortunately until we re-write the API client (a handful of a people have said they might, I bet I have to do it in some months) it won't be fixed, I'll talk with joe about it more to see if he has any extra time.

3. Leo

Leo Haxor

Well, I don't mind if it hides the server for a while but the crash is...bad. I hope you guys fix it.

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

The reason we chose this messy fix is that it vanished from the server list permanently and without warning to you, requiring a manual restart anyway. As I said, hopefully we can get a full rewrite of the messy APIClient code at some point and have this fixed in the process.

5. Leo

Leo Haxor

Oooh, "permanently". I see.

6. Leo

Leo Haxor

This shit happening more and more often and it kills my servers. Please FIX!

7. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Apparently the next patch is coming with a lot of fixes. It might be fixed with this one.

8. Geti

^ unfortunately not, but once it's out we'll be able to cycle new things onto the block to be fixed. This build's features are locked at this point.

9. Colargolator

Colargolator Horde Gibber
    1. KAG Competitive League

I'm sorry to up this quite old bug report, but this particular one is preventing me from hosting my servers for a long time now. It would help the community a lot if this one was solved, I could host servers for competitive play, which is a real problem now Leo stopped hosting a few of his own.

10. Leo

Leo Haxor

It will propably never gonna be fixed. I gave up on this.

11. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

The bug shouldn't be a problem for running a working server. It may crash after a couple hours/minutes, depending on your net.
    If you set sv_register to 0 in autoconfig.cfg, your server won't show up in the list, which fixes up the API crash - you still can connect to your server manually.

12. Leo

Leo Haxor

You are killing the patient to cure the disease... The point is for the server to show up in the list. The point is that this should NOT happen at all.

PUNK123 likes this.
  13. Colargolator

Of course, that's what I've been using for my training server. Still, having only ghost servers is a real problem to organize events and stuff.

14. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

Heyo @Colargolator, according to @jrgp, nextmapping after the server crashes makes my server crash less. Nextmapping through the mapcycle two times is the best, i guess. Let me copy>paste the message

Hey

It's likely that nextmap'ing clears a list of hung/stuck api call threads, which would influence the crashes happening less. [...]

(one of the other messages when it crashes is something about api calls)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  15. Colargolator

I tried, it still lets the server crash way too often to be really useable

16. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

awww, sorry then, it works for my server :(