1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Offensive Symbols in KAG --> Offensive Symbols in General --> General Chat on Religion

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Youaregreat, Mar 25, 2013.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Andr01d

Andr01d Haxor

Good point, I should have chosen my words more carefully. You guys are so smart.

2. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

Weeeell, every time you sin, you get further from God. Catholics don't believe that you will burn in hell if you don't accept God. On Earth, anyway. It's complicated.

3. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Indeed it's complicated, Sly; but often only because we make it so. ;~;

4. SlyStalker

True, FBB. The debate is rather... stagnant lately, though.

5. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

I just did a couple of searches to try an clarify this whole point in my mind, but everything I found was sourced from Catholicism, but also really vague and fluffy around the details. Can you clarify why exactly someone would go to hell, according to the catholic faith?

Canadian98 likes this.
  6. SlyStalker

Well, OK, to the extent of my knowledge, holy people (saints, etc.) go straight to heaven. Normal people (like us) sin rather regularly compared to the holy people, so we have to go through a cleansing stage called Purgatory. This erases our sins and makes us fit for entry into heaven. Imagine this: God knocks on your door. You open it. Somehow, the entry to his mansion/palace is right outside! He wants you to come inside. But then you realise that you are filthy! Mud and dirt everywhere! You can't go into his palace yet! So you take a shower. That shower is Purgatory. You only go through Purgatory if you do want to be in heaven. If you tell God that no, you don't want to be with God, you go straight to hell. Hell is the complete absence of God.

7. Hella

In that case, what happens to babies? And what about the saints who went about killing people? Finally, can people who sinned lifelong go through purgatory, and just get their 'get-into-heaven-free' card there?

I love that analogy though. :P

Canadian98 likes this.
  8. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I wish I could answer the whole baby thing, mainly because it seems that is the sort of question that is very clear that it says babies SHOULD go to hell or purgatory, yet people will very often go against it for popularity reasons (I mean powerful people in the state will say otherwise).

9. SlyStalker

Babies are pure and uncapable of sinning until their sense of 'conscience' (right and wrong) develops.
    Oh, whoops! I forgot about the really bad people. They go straight to hell if 1) Their sins are very great (multiple murders, etc.) and 2) They are unrepentant. #2 doesn't matter as much as #1, though.
    The analogy: Thanks! I have to admit that I stole it off someone else though. :D

10. Hella

What about the saints who basically made their way in life killing people? Particularly, Olga of Kiev, who, to be honest, did some pretty cool but totally murderyish things.

11. SlyStalker

Olga of Kiev... I haven't heard of him/her, but what was his/her motive? Who was killed/affected?

12. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Well, at some point when I've the brain space I'd like to write out a Protestant (i.e. non-Catholic, non-Orthodox) take on the above issues, but in the meantime I'd like to ask a question of you, Sly...

What (according to the Catholic tradition) is sin?

I ask because it suddenly occurs to me that, despite studying theology at a Catholic university for four years (so I could try and get a handle on your crazy pope-centric doctrines), I never thought to ask for a formal definition of the term. However silly of me it seems in hindsight, I guess I just assumed that we were talking about the same thing whenever the S word was bandied about. If it turns out we're using different definitions then that'd explain a lot... :huh?:

delankski likes this.
  13. SlyStalker

Well, I'm not sure about the 'official' def, but I was taught that commiting a sin puts you further from God. So in my head, sin can be 1) an action that moves you 'away' from God or in some cases 2) a 'black mark' on your soul. Please note that that definition was in my own words, may not be the correct definition of 'sin', but I think that it suffices. And yes, I'd be interested to see things from a Protestant/Bible Christian/Evangelist point of view (without getting into an argument)!

14. FuzzyBlueBaron

Okay, that's a start, but what do you mean by "moves you 'away' from God" and "[an action that puts] a 'black mark' on your soul"? What do you mean by 'away' and 'black mark'? Could you unpack those terms a bit more, plox?

Also, thanks for this, I'm enjoying the discussion and Q&A. :)

15. SlyStalker

lol me too :D
    You and God have a relationship. What I mean by 'moving away from God' is that your relationship with him weakens. Like with a friend.
    What I mean by the 'black mark' thing is that it's a crime against God's rules.

16. FuzzyBlueBaron

Right, so what's the functional difference between a) 'weakening your relationship with God' and b) 'committing a crime against God's rules'?

Forgive me if I'm being obtuse here (or maybe a little too Reformation-y, perhaps?), but it would seem to my mind that not only would doing b) result in a) but that (once you get down to brass tacks & technical definitions) the only way to do a) would be to effectively b)-- the same way the only real way to weaken your relationship with a friend is to do something not cool with regards to said friendship (be that punching them in the face, sleeping with their partner, or even simply just ignoring them/not finding the time to hang with them).

Does that make any sense?

17. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

A appears to be there only to value brinksmanship.

18. SlyStalker

It does make sense to me after reading it about twice. I guess you're right. Yes, my definition wasn't 100% spot-on, was it? :D

19. FuzzyBlueBaron

Heheh. While I'm not sure I really see what you mean, BL, your comment puts me in mind of something. Tell me, ever heard of Grigori Rasputin? He had some hilarious theories on the attainment of grace, his primary one running something like this: God gives grace to sinners ergo sin leads to grace ergo I must sin more in order to obtain more grace. :D
    Okay, so, if I may ask then: In light of a) & b) being functionally the same, what's the actual difference between venial & mortal sin?

Now, I realise that Catholic doctrine makes a distinction between differing kinds of sin but (if you'll forgive me for drawing on the work of Protestant theologians) taking the notion that God is infinite & perfect to its logical conclusion means we get the idea that "Objectively speaking, for an infinite & perfect being even the smallest of wrongs towards said being is infinitely wrong"; i.e. we have to conclude that there are no 'grades' of sin, rather it would seem (going from what we know of God) that all sin (great or small) is just as bad in the end (consider, as reference, James 2:10 & 11).

NB: really not trying to start an argument here, it's just that I've been pondering these things for a while & now you've given me an opportunity to poke questions at someone who does more swimming in Catholic waters than I do. ;)

PadaV4 likes this.
  20. SlyStalker

Well, I don't get everything you said, but I get most of it. The difference between venial and mortal sin is that with venial sin, the act/sin is small in severity. For example, you steal your sister's chocolate right out of the fridge. It is a sin because a) you are aware of what you're doing, b) you know it's wrong, and finally c) you have free will in that situation. That is what make a sin a sin. But in the case of murdering someone, that's a mortal sin because the sin is very serious.
    All sins are wrong, but I think that they are still 'graded'. I suspect that the scripture reference is saying that if someone upholds the law, but breaks it on one occasion, he is still guilty even though he has been a 'good boy' for the other times.

Mods: BlueLuigi