1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

On votekicking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Potatobird, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Don't need the video.

The issue is that it would cause an immense need of overhead that the game can't really handle on top of the other jank shit it does.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  2. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

It messing with the game doesn't mean we don't need it. It just means we can't handle it. Not needing, and not handling are two different things.

3. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Don't need it still. You want it, but a lot of others don't.

You'd need about a 30 second clip because you can avoid, or misconstrue a 10 second clip, easily.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  4. Takain

Takain Ballista Bolt Thrower

what do you mean?

5. Boea

Boea Such Beta

You'd need all the clients, or the server to keep a short recording of whatever the clients/server sees of the players. Distribute the clips to everyone, and have it overlay, and run on top of each client's screen.

As far as anything goes, that's a great way to increase server, client, and network overhead in a game where the Devs have probably bled as much as they can from the code to get it to run fast and safe, short of complete overhaul, or specialization.

6. Takain

you dont need to record to be able to save a replay, ive been reading some articles about it saying you can save key inputs and game states for replication in less than 500kb of RAM (was for ps2 games, idk if it changes something)
    kag uses ~150mb of RAM lets say it uses 500kb to save everyones imputs, on a 32 player server, it would be 16mb and would increase only like 10% more RAM (assuming whats on that article is the same for PC games)

7. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

It would be better to have it as a mod for servers that want it, rather than for all of the servers.

8. Takain

more like a option for the user that want it on the config...

9. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

It seems like it'd just be better as a mod for servers, not an option for each person. That would just be a lot more extra trouble to add.

Gurin likes this.
  10. Takain

how adding an option button would be hard ;d

11. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Unless it's an option for each server, it's just added work which can be left to modders.

12. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

There is no problem with votekicking. Just wait for te next update to add a not-voting button

13. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

This! It's not about the votekicking system, it's about people voting stupidly. There are probably ways to improve the votekicking system, but it would still be useless if people kept voting like monkeys. The tl;dr of the original post was basically "Don't vote like a monkey".

14. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

There are still problems with it. Plus if we had it back to where you had to type out a reason, more people would actually vote better.

Plus those preloaded options, there needs to be a lot more to fit more situations.

15. Armitage1982

Armitage1982 Shark Slayer

16. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I know there are problems with the votekicking system. It works well enough, but of course it can be improved. But this post was about the people voting like idiots. We can change the voting system to encourage people to not vote like idiots, but things would also be much better if people simply put a little bit of thought into voting. If you want to talk about changes to the vote system go post them in the suggestions forum

17. Armitage1982

Armitage1982 Shark Slayer

The problem is : you can't speak with a griefer and he always try to do his move away from the team.
    Quite difficult to catch them, and when it's the case, even harder to get rid of them.

Worst, since the steam sales there's plenty of new players so they fake idiocy : "me?", "But no I was ...", well, you know what I mean.

There's plenty of server currently, so I'm less worried about false accusation than a single griefer ruining a whole 16vs16 game (making at least 15 peoples angry about the system).

But you right, last game I did gives around 10 votes kick and this feeling of pain in the ass for the whole team.

Never in a game I saw so many cheaters. To a point that I'm currently wondering if griefing is part of it.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 2, 2014, Original Post Date: Jul 2, 2014 ---
    - Assign one shortcut key.
    - When pressed, it store a screenshot with actual position of each players in it.
    - When hovering names in the vote kick interface, show a 256x256 picture next to it.

* Vote appears
    * When you hovering the kick button, you see the picture.

It may not be perfect, but way more easier on the Dev. side than the video option.

Also, it's highly conceivable that once kicked a griefer do it again on another server.
    So maybe after 3 consecutive kick in less than a few hours, the system should ban him for 24h x the number of ban. BETTER : Give him a flashy PIGLET HEAD for a week, then everyone will have an eye on him more easily.

Fernegulus likes this.
  18. Takain

sometimes im playing then a vote appears, "griefer" it says, how the fk im supposed to know if the person actually griefed, i generally vote yes if its someone i trust that made the vote or people that i know is voting in favour, i still think there should be a way of knowing what the person did to get voted...

i dont think you understand what i mean, an option like "Music ON/OFF" on the menu...
    the option wouldnt be hard at all to make, the problem is making the system itself, of which i dont think modders could do, its much more than adding objects to the game...
    it would be done Client side, so enabling and disabling wouldnt matter for the server, it wouldnt need to exchange information, the idea is to use the info already get by the game to reproduce the replay
    for example, when a player start walking and mining, the client already recieves that information, which it uses to draw the player walking and mining on the screen, the idea is to save this, and later on, when a votekick starts, if the option is set to ON, it just redraw that situation on a box, it wouldnt use more bandwhich, but the system itself is complicated and couldnt be done by mods (i guess)

i actually dont see a reason for not doing this, it would be a good adition, worth of some hours creating it
    anyway: its just a idea im putting on the table, hoping to improve this votekick...

19. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

[​IMG]

Seriously though, there's something about the current vote system that makes it kind of... not clear. You don't see what's going on, why the hell are we kicking him, who the hell is he (/cl_name) and it's basically a big whaaat? Also the voting window is too big, blocks all your screen and why isn't the action1 key taken while clicking a button! Why would you do buttons, F11 and F12 worked perfectly! Why would you set a few reasons and removed the ability to write your own? Why can't the window be semi transparent? To fit your ugly new Beta GUI? Duh.

epenow likes this.
  20. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I got a few ideas for voting.
    First, where we don't SEE what's going on, what if when a vote happens, on the map it has a big red circle where the player is at any given time, that is being voted on? This way anyone can rush over to that section to at least try to catch what's up?

Secondly while it may be used, what if when a vote happens, the voter, and the one doing the initial voting is frozen in place automatically until the vote is over. If a vote works, the other is unfrozen. If it doesn't work at all, they both are unfrozen. This way no one moves and if the person logs while frozen and it's true they did what they did, then they get banned for a little bit automatically.