1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

One thing I don't understand

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by saniblues, Aug 5, 2011.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

Where did the stereotype that archers are weak little twig men come from? The English ones had to use longbows, and your arm practically needs to be the size of a small child to use one of those.

2. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

I think it ties in with the whole elves using bows thing.

3. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Its because its always been used for balancing games.
    Ranged players need to be weaker so that melee players have some sort of edge on them.

4. Nebuchadnezzar

Nebuchadnezzar Shopkeep Stealer

Yeah I'd imagine an archer would be able to kill me with or without a bow just by bare strength. It's not as easy as it looks and I've never tried a real longbow.

5. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

I'd imagine it's also to do with their position on the battlefield. Over time, I can see a stereotype evolving because knights are the ones who are in the frontlines, therefore they are seen as brave or something. Whereas Archers fire from a distance, so they'd be considered more cowardly. If you're asked to draw someone brave, you'd usually make them beefy and give them muscles. Do the same with someone cowardly and you'd usually make them thin and weedy.

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Thing is most knights could use a bow and sword anyway, if they were worthy of note.

7. t0rchic

t0rchic Drill Rusher

Yeah, but then again, this game isn't realistic (as I remember seeing written plenty of times). Plus, where would the balance be if our melee class got bows too? O.O

8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Note, this is in off topic not game discussion -> doesn't have to be about KAG ;)

9. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Short recurve bows are easier to use

Mods: BlueLuigi