1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Open appeal to THD and MM: Make Soldat open source!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Frank252, Jun 13, 2017.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Frank252

Frank252 Catapult Fodder

Since the official Soldat forums are pretty dead and any THD employees and even less MM himself seem to go there anymore I am gonna write this down in here hoping that there is a at least a slight chance that it will catch any THD teams eyes, and dreaming of it being talked about in the THD studios:

I am a Soldat "veteran", I started playing it in like 2004 when I was 13 years old and it ended up making up a huge part of my teenage years as I spent playing it competitively until around 2009. After that I played it every now and then, but always stood active in the community until at least around 2012. And then I didn't play it for years, until a few days ago...

I came back to it only to find out in the forums that the last dev left (helloer) who's working on the game gave up on it and quits on it for good because the other developers were either not willing to cooperate anymore or not even willing to talk anymore. (see: https://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=44931.0 )
    If we just leave it in this state, it will die for sure. It will be a game with no developers left, and with a dying community.
    This is not what you should let happen to this game, which used to have a community that was very big for its time for an indie game. This showed how much potential there was in this game. Unfortunately, I'm afraid pretty much all of this potential was wasted because, after a while, the game was pretty much abandoned by its developers after the enesce-era.

I am definitely not an expert on this topic, I'm just an extremely passionate Soldat fan. However, at this point I only see two ways to save this game:

1. Making it open source.
    This would give the game a certain rebirth to some degree. And since the current developer team does now literally consist out of 0 developers since Helloer gave up working on it and 0 active admins who'd be in charge of establishing a new developer team (because, don't lie... You don't have enough interest and focus on Soldat anymore to bother getting a new developer team for it going), it seemingly is the only way to get new developers for the game.

2. Actually getting it on Steam.
    This point is relative though. If the game has no more developers left, it would require THD to make it Steam compatible. Which I don't see happening since they have their focus on their other projects (which is 100%understandable of course!).

I can assure you that there are some Veterans who would really love to hear an official statement by MM himself or by THD about this issue. Is Soldat planned to leave to die? Or are there any other plans? The only thing I could see in conflict with this would be that you plan to still release Storm2d some day. But since that project was just as quietly and silently abandoned without any official statement as Soldat was, I have no clue what to think about that.
    All we veterans would love to hear is what holds you back from just making it open source to give this game a rebirth and not only make old veterans come back and have some fun with the game again but also get tons of new players to it.

I don't expect anything.
    In the end this is just a desperate cry by a Soldat veteran who can't just look at this great game being left to rot and 100% slowly die within the next couple of years when there's simple ways to give it a new hype.
    I want you to know that there are still people who joined the Soldat community in its very beginning back in the early 2000's who would LOVE to see this game having a reboot/a new hype and who could break in tears seeing this great game with great potential just being left to rot and die.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  2. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

Steam release would be pretty sick.

Biurza likes this.
  3. Frank252

Frank252 Catapult Fodder

Mods: BlueLuigi