1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on a macro...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Lava, Oct 26, 2016.

?

Bring back the macro?

Poll closed Oct 27, 2016.
  1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Lava

Lava Former Lag King Staff Alumni Donator Tester

I used to have a macro that placed 2 bombs (2-4 depending on if I was lagging or not) almost instantly and Moshermadnes always said I cheated and a couple of admins got into that argument and I decided to get rid of it, but some other admins said its fine to keep and easy to counter.
    So what do you think? Should I bring it back or not? (the macro does 2222, so when i hit it, it lights>throws>lights>throws)

BarsukEughen555 likes this.
  2. asger75

asger75 Haxor

5/4 would use macro again

Lava likes this.
  3. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Why did you think it was a good idea to admit to, at the very least, cheating and, at worst, hacking? Do you not remember that bludymana got the unreversable permaban for admitting that he hacked in the past?

4. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

i made a macro that made me fly and it kills everyone on the world and then nukes our base and then i win

daskew87 likes this.
  5. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

It's certainly not hacking. I don't really like macros in general, but it's cheating at worst, and I would be hesitant to call it that, even.

an_obamanation likes this.
  6. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

I think using macro's are okay. It's like sound. In 3D games, you have an advantage if you use 7.1 surround sound. He has a advantage because he's using macro's, which anybody can do. So i really think its okay.

Lava likes this.
  7. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

In most cases I wouldn't say that a macro is too unfair but that keg you pulled off I feel would only be possible with a macro, and that's a bit overboard, as that keg you made must have had an incredibly large impact on the flow of the match. In situations like that where you can get an advantage of that magnitude then using a macro is pretty bs.

8. Lava

Mhm, my mouse software has the stuff built in to be able to make macros so I don't see it as cheating at all but as using one of my mouses abilities.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 26, 2016, Original Post Date: Oct 26, 2016 ---
    I did that like 10 times in that match, and its quite easy to counter/fail at.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 26, 2016 ---
    Its not like im hacking my mouse to do this, my mouse is a MMO Gaming Mouse that has macro building stuff IN the software that came with it.

9. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

To be honest, I don't like using macros, but I am not against them. Yes it may allows people to do stuff faster etc etc, but truthfully does it matter that much? With a double bomb jump, someone can do the same with a hand held, or even a triple bomb jump.

The only thing macros do is remove the satisfaction when you pull something off.

10. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Excuse me but, what is a macro? a combination of keys trigered by pressing only 1?

11. Lava

Pretty much, I press one of the buttons on my mouse and it does whatever I said for it to do.

12. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

Yeah, so if i press a button lets say F1 on my keyboard, i could have a program which when i press f1, it will do "ENTER + HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII"

Which in kag would just go into chat and say "HIIIIIIIIIIIIII"

It saves time, Obviously you can edit it to do different things.

13. PUNK123

I mean. By that logic speedhacking is perfectly kosher. the reason against macros is it doesnt involving actually releasing the bombs using space key(it involves using another button that functions as a quadriple space key hit(which is obviously unfair)).

Blue_Tiger likes this.
  14. Lava

Hacking and using a Macro are COMPLETELY different. Hacking involves downloading a software to change how you act and move, a macro just does a series of buttons as fast or as slow as the game/software can do. Without enough lag the macro would place the bombs too far apart but with too much lag the bombs would be exploded before you can even see them on the ground.

EhRa and Magmus like this.
  15. PUNK123

I was responding to a specific quote(where he said it doesnt matter all it is is a mechanic happening faster). I still think it is an unfair advantage but, contextwise, i wasnt calling it hacking.

16. franek123

franek123 The architect of the royal castle. Donator Tester

Git gud or git banned

mcrifel likes this.
  17. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

This isn't modifying the game memory or network packets, it's not "hacking".

Cheating is another matter, but it's the kind of thing that's a gross rabbit hole to go down enforcing.

A good 2 rules of thumb:
    • if it makes you feel like a cheater, don't do it.
    • Ask before using it, explain what your macro does ahead of time to other players.
    • If people you're playing with ask you not to use it, dont.
    Otherwise, I don't have a specific problem with macros.

Lava likes this.
  18. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

The difference is that a macro can't do anything faster than the game's rules/code allow, just faster than a human might be able to do it. It's still unfair but not on the same level as hacking. You could also probably make a macro to perfectly time every slash, or something. As for this macro, you can achieve the exact same thing by mashing the space button really fast with both hands.

And yeah, it is kind of unenforceable. I think ideally nobody would use macros but we can't sniff them out really, we can't look at someone's gameplay and be like "is that a MACRO you're using?!?" because it's kind of hard to tell, so it makes no sense to me to punish people for being honest about it and not those who don't disclose their macro.

an_obamanation and Geti like this.
  19. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

No one ever got banned for admitting cheating, and Furai (the single person dealing with bans) has never said this. I simply said that it was additional evidence, he wouldn't get unbanned anyway (because it was decided he cheated in the many posted videos), admitting cheating in the past did not help him be proven unguilty
    Please don't start this all over again. (however you are correct if you find a post by Furai that says something along the lines of "xxx has been banned for admitting cheating in the past")

20. Lava

I stopped using it because some admins got involved in moshermadnes' argument but then some other admins said it was fine to keep it so I wanted some more opinions, Thank you for replying it means a lot.

Mods: BlueLuigi