1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Our community is playing King Arthur's Gold this week!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jomskylark, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Jomskylark

Jomskylark Drill Rusher

Disclaimer: I hope this isn't viewed as advertising. We hate advertising just as much as the next guy and that's not the intention of this post. Rather, we'd just like to inform your community about an upcoming event within our community. If a moderator thinks this is advertising, feel free to take it down and I'll work with you guys to come up with something that isn't considered advertising. Thanks!

------------

Hi there! I'm one of the moderators over on the Reddit /r/Playdate community. We are a community that collectively votes on and plays three games each week, often dead or inactive games. King Arthur's Gold was selected this week, which is why I'm here!

We'll be playing KAG for the duration of the week, with a special "focus time" on Saturday, February 04, at 8:00 PM EST. Focus times are somewhat self-explanatory -- specified get-together times -- but click here for a thorough explanation.

Throughout the week feel free to swing by our Steam chat (direct link here) to see if anybody is playing, and also please provide any tips or advice you might have in this thread or in our discussion thread.

Finally, we may be creating our own server for the focus time, so if you could provide any tips on either developing a server or what makes/breaks a server, please post it in this thread or in our server planning thread.

Thank you! Let me know if you have any questions or comments on how our community operates. :)

PS. @KAG Staff: We want to make sure KAG has a great week at Playdate, so I'm posting this to various KAG outlets. If you guys would be so kind to put a little banner or motd somewhere that advertises that we're playing your game for the week, that would be absolutely superb. :) Please use http://bit.ly/AlyDtj as the link because it contains useful traffic data.

2. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

"often dead or inactive games"

Why did you mention this? It's not like Kag is dead or inactive.

Noburu, Rayne, Valkyrie and 3 others like this.
  3. Tyngn

Tyngn Ballista Bolt Thrower

Jomskylark likes this.
  4. Knighthart

Knighthart is love Donator

I'd guess because at some time there existed a Reddit server that died pretty fast.
    Either way, I doubt I'll join.

5. Jomskylark

Jomskylark Drill Rusher

Sorry for the confusion! I'm not suggesting that it is. Rather, I was trying to illustrate that our community didn't just play Counter-Strike and Minecraft all day, but that we played a lot of inactive games as well. Tons of communities play games together, and I was trying to make it clear that we were a bit unique.

As I understand it, KAG has an active community but could still be considered an indie title, and isn't as mainstream as say, Counter-Strike or Minecraft.

edited for clarity

Carver and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  6. Smokeybacon

Smokeybacon Superdreadnought Donator

'Non-mainstream' is not 'inactive'. Please don't advertise it as such, it's detrimental more than anything.

Vivicus, Rayne and Beef like this.
  7. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Shark Slayer

I doubt MM or Geti will put a banner up for another site, they never did for /v/ or any other site who found KAG.

Vivicus and BlueLuigi like this.
  8. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I hate reddit and it's users, where can I sign up to kill and troll you?

P.S. what audacity would even have you say this isn't advertising and them post all those links and ask that, I mean really...

Vivicus, Valkyrie and Knighthart like this.
  9. theBeaz

theBeaz Shopkeep Stealer

But guys! It's Reddit! The white knights of the internet (other than defending sketchy under-age photo collections *ahem*)!

Yeah, "inactive/dead game" sounds silly. The game is still in early development stage. I can understand people feeling very insulted by that. Attention on Reddit may bring the game some new players (unless they don't want to invest in a "dead" game)... but there's a thread on SomethingAwful as well (which has a very large gaming forum) and it hasn't caused some major "Goon rush".

I can appreciate what this person (+group) is trying to do, but seriously the game is new, not dead or inactive. Just a small community so far.

Neat likes this.
  10. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Okay folks, I understand getting a little uppity over the implication that kag is inactive, but based on the OP's response I don't think that was intended (though in the future I'd suggest being a little more careful with your wording ;)).

Anyways, lets not get too hung up on that - its nice that they've decided to give kag some attention.

Regarding the banner question:
    I'm not sure what the purpose of this is.
    Is it because you want people to be aware that their game will be having a surge or redditors playing? Or perhaps you want them to join you on the servers? Or is it about advertising your subreddit, to add to your subscribers (which seems contradictory to your 'this isn't advertising' disclaimer)?
    I'm not trying to be accusatory, I'm just unclear about your intentions.

If a decision is made to put up something about it it'll likely be done via the blog, though that'll be MM/Geti's decision.

Anyway, one way or another I hope you guys have fun playing kag :)
    I would likely pop in and join you if it wasn't 1 AM over here at that time.

Jomskylark, Carver, Valkyrie and 5 others like this.
  11. nerdpride

nerdpride Shopkeep Stealer

Yanno, yeah publicity is nice, trying new things is better, but this sounds like an "appetizer game" kind of deal. I'm not excited about someone playing for a week and then leaving, actually I'd prefer to play with any newbie other than the one that is going to stick with some other community shenanigans. And if I were in their shoes, probably they'd have a better experience playing apart from hardcores who train for months.

I'm guessing the whole thing will blow over pretty easily, actually.

12. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Sounds like they want a welcome week where they have people to play with or make it an awesome experience? Heck all they have to do is get a massive say 48 or so player server with big resource heavy maps, and people will like it. If they are planning to populate said servers it will be very fun for them.

edit: People we should be accepting of any player base and not turn them off by possible wording mistakes and such. By avoiding being super fanboys and being super protective we can calmly explain and fix any misconception that will surround this game. Everyone remember the Total Biscuit schpeal? wasn't fun... was not fun.

13. Jomskylark

Jomskylark Drill Rusher

Okay, to clear up a couple things --

1. Advertising

Okay, so I'm going to be perfectly honest with you guys. This was advertising in the sense that it was advertising our focus time, but NOT advertising our community itself. I made this post here because our focus times generally don't see a lot of participation. Think less than 10 people... on a good night. That really sucks! So this forum post was made as an attempt to get more people playing during the focus time and playing with fellow Redditors throughout the week.

The reason I posted all those links and pretty text was because I felt like posting a bland one-line snippet wouldn't get a very strong pull, as opposed to my post which contains lots of information about the community. Another reason some people might've viewed this as advertising is because of the way I am. I like to think of myself as a nice, polite guy. I avoid conflict wherever possible. As a result, my messages often come out as overly cheerful or kind, which a lot of everyday companies use as THEIR advertising techniques, so it's easy to think of me as imitating those methods.

Bottom line: Is this considered advertising? By the textbook definition yes it is, but NOT advertising the community, just advertising the focus time. Honestly, we just want to get more activity in the focus time and participation in the game throughout the week. Making this thread to increase our subscriber count never crossed my mind! We actually have a thriving community (traffic stats show average of 675 daily unique visitors to the subreddit!), but that number doesn't translate to the games for some reason.

2. In-active/Dead games

I'm sorry for the confusion on this one -- I'm not suggesting that KAG is a dead/in-active game, not in the slightest. Let me put it this way. Our community chooses games to play based on a nomination system. As such, this results in a great opportunity to nominate dead games, so a lot of the games we play are dead games. This is not always the case though. In fact, a couple months back we played some TF2, we've also played Killing Floor and Transformice and other popular games. I understand that KAG does have a vibrant community and would not be considered a dead game, and I never meant to say it was a dead game. The only reason I said this was to make ourselves stand out a bit more from all the other gaming communities on Reddit.

Bottom line is that KAG has nothing to do with the bit about our community often playing dead games, rather it was just included as an attempt to separate ourselves from the other gaming communities. Again, sorry for the confusion and poor choice of wording.

@Shadlington:

Thank you for the kind reply. My thought process was that some kind of tiny banner or message from the developers would encourage more users to play with fellow Playdaters, participate in the focus time, and offer suggestions to Playdaters. However, if it's not appropriate then by all means don't create it, this is your house and I'll be content with whatever works best for you guys. :)

@nerdpride: The beauty of Playdate is while each week features new games, that doesn't necessarily reflect on the individual users. In other words, we're just introducing people to new games, if people like a game then they'll stick with it on their own.

Anybody play Teewars? I got hooked on it from when it was nominated last year and still occasionally play it.

edit: Like I said above, I respect that this is your house, your community and I'm not trying to infringe on that.

14. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Woah when did we get all elitist? A bunch of new players and publicity can never be bad. Remember the /v/ wave? That was great. Lots of cool new guys, a great server that's still around, and more money for our poor starving devs. Sure for a bunch of people it will be flavour of the week (and there's nothing wrong with that), but I'm betting a bunch of people will stick around.

Plus this means a bunch of noobs to slaughter. Who doesn't love that?

Jomskylark, Vivicus, Carver and 10 others like this.
  15. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Praise the new guys as we were all new once. Get ready to possibly lose a lot of your social life to this game.

FuzzyBlueBaron and Rayne like this.
  16. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I think I get it now Jomskylark - sounds good :)
    I've spoken to Geti about it and he'll probably pop something on the blog later.
    We don't do banners here but generally speaking when something is posted on the blog, a lot of people notice it.

Jomskylark likes this.
  17. Jomskylark

Jomskylark Drill Rusher

Oh yes, that'd be amazing. Thank you so much.

jerloch likes this.
  18. Miaow

Miaow The Fanciest Pants always wins Donator Tester

If you host your own server then be sure to allow Guards (moderators) so that we can help out. I am a redditor and I would be happy to try and make the time to help with it.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  19. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

Id love to play a few games with you fellas,even though my ping will go to an annoying state.
    Will you guys be opening your own server for 4 feb or join an existing one?
    And (if) theres any way i could help something that will vote kag id love to :>.

20. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Frontpaged because I like what you guys do. Hope to see some of you in-game :D