1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Our community is playing King Arthur's Gold this week!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jomskylark, Jan 31, 2012.

1. theBeaz

theBeaz Shopkeep Stealer

Okay now this thread is going off the rails. You cannot say "we don't want Redditors" without over generalizing and sounding dumb. I read posts on Reddit from time to time, am I a "Redditor"? I'm an avid reader and poster on the Something Awful forums and even run a game community called Goon Haven... Do I act the way you would expect a "SA Goon" to act?

The devs seem to have good heads on their shoulders... An influx of new people from any particular website is not going to change the face of the game as we know it. Best case - more players (of all skill levels), worst case - nothing!

2. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

But what if your wrong?? HMMMMM???!!! HMMMMM?!!!!!!

3. theBeaz

theBeaz Shopkeep Stealer

Then we are already dead.

Noburu likes this.
  4. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

No. You're not as funny as I expect them to be ;) . But then, my experiance of Goons is limited to reviews of the original Rogue Trader, LP's of Dominions 3 and DF, and Goonswarm.

Anyway, have you heard of Eternal September? It's an issue that quite a lot of you are hinting at here (Influx of people means a general lowering of quality), and this, in a way, does apply. Yes, 200 new people thrown into a 400 player game will dilute the quality. It's inevitable.

But this is a game about fucking cartoon knights. It takes like an hour to get passable at it. Granted, you'd be playing for months and could still learn a new little trick, but the "average" skill level is already quite low. Whereas Eternal September refers to a whole forum culture (similar to the die back of /b/ in 06, Ebaums before that, and somethingawful even before that) being poisoned by hordes of new people.

KAG doesn't really have a culture, so I'll just refer to the skill level. And regardless, I'm not going to spite someone playing due to their age. I've played quite a while and I wouldn't say there's any more incredibly young people than before, when KAG had like one server of 15 people at the most.

I don't like the witch hunt whiteknight le rage comixD redditors either, but let's not confuse the front page reddit with the various gaming sub reddits, which are usually passable.

@Xiphblah; It was Kotako that heralded the death of AoS. Once those pricks got their nails in it was a downward slide to a Call of Duty quality community. (Seriously, the day after they reviewed it, it became awful. It was brilliant when it was just /v/ and RPS guys) Ultimately it was Ben, as you said, listening to the idiots that made it crap. MM has a history of knowing what works, so I don't think this is a worry.

p.s. This post in no way reflects the opinions of KAG Inc. or it's subsidiries, KAG T Shirt Co., KAG Global Marketing, and KAG Mugs/Kugs! The Mugs That Stabs!

Vivicus and theBeaz like this.
  5. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

It does suck finding the shitty servers with kids that whine incessantly. I found the Jaedizzle's House servers are pretty nice for matches. Very little griefing and everyone tries to have a good time.

6. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

How did this turn from a notice into a bitching thread?
    Either wait for their announcement on what server or go make a separate thread.

7. archont

archont Shopkeep Stealer

All this thread now needs to be complete is MM coming in and calling the reddit guys a bunch of retards who can't play the game.

Oh, fun times.

Fellere825 and One like this.
  8. Xiphosuran

Xiphosuran Shopkeep Stealer

Like I said, idiots are expected no matter where their origins are, even if we don't know their origins. For several years, I was a part of a small forum community (at one point maybe 30 active forum members and 50 who were active only in-game), for a game called The Forbidden Gates, An isometric 2D MRPG. It was heavily influenced by another game called Endless-Online, down to it's core design and concept. You could almost talk about them synonymously and you'd get most people confused as to which game you were talking about!

That's besides the point. Anyways, TFG was well ignored by most of EO's community, since they saw it as a blatant rip-off of the game (which it was, but again, besides the point). Endless-Online consisted of a lot of 4Chan users, I'd assume /v/ and /b/ mostly. It was a hardly moderated forum that could have been /b/ in PHPBB2 form. The game suffered a lot of hacking and mass duplicating of items, ruining the economy, and with little action from the dev or mods, plus the lack of enticing combat and lack of cool gear, it became a 2D isometric internet chatroom. This was a huge turn-off for a lot of the people who wanted an actual game, so they though "Well hey, isn't that EO rip still a thing? I'll go play that!".

And thus, The Forbidden Gates was forever scarred by the same idiots we were trying to get away from. The forum turned into shit, and the admins refused to ban the people that were causing the problems. This, plus the fact that the developer suddenly vanishing without warning, ruined whatever game there was left.

TL;DR: New members CAN DEFINITELY RUING A COMMUNITY IF THEY COME TO BE ASSHOLES LIKE THEY WERE IN THEIR ORIGINAL HABITATS. This is totally a thing that can happen. Sorry if it's a little long or confusing.

Mathewson likes this.
  9. JackMcDaniels

JackMcDaniels Haxor

An influx of people from a specific part of the internet is the only thing which will ruin this game, such as people coming from the minecraft/terraria forums or reddit becoming obsessed with it or some famous youtuber does a "what is" or "lets play" of KAG.

Imagine it, new threads everywhere "THE YOGSCAST SENT ME HERE XD THIS GAME IS GREAT MORE BUILDING STUFF AND LAZOR GUNS PLZ :D"
    "omg this game is fun cant wait to tell all my friends at school today xD"
    "OMG SOME ASSHOLE IN THE OTHER TEAMED GRIEFED MY BUILDING WTF!?"

10. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

[sarcasm]Imagine kag becoming popular, sucks ass.[/sarcasm]

I have no idea how my post about age has derailed in a troll discussion, let's get this back on topic.
    Seems you got some publicity, do you need some help?

goodyman8 likes this.
  11. Miaow

Miaow The Fanciest Pants always wins Donator Tester

Sadly it looks like most of the KAG community would not like to see new people coming here.

12. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

Now if everyone is done complaining.
    Are you guys still planning to play? What server at sunday?
    Y U NO ANSWER PREVIOUS QUESTIONS.

13. Jomskylark

Jomskylark Drill Rusher

With any luck, more than five! No really, average focus time participation is five players, which is exactly why I created this thread in the first place. Hopefully this focus time will result in a larger audience!

Hope to see many of you tomorrow!

edit: Not sure about the server at this point, a couple of people have kindly offered and I'm working with them now. If we get a server, it will be posted in the subreddit.

14. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Hmm yea you'll need at least double that for a fun time

15. nerdpride

nerdpride Shopkeep Stealer

Five people? I thought Reddit was supposed to be big.

Also, let us continue to argue for the sake of posterity. Hopefully more than five people.

Isn't it possible to identify if a community is disagreeable beforehand? I bet it's something one of the management-types could handle, and we were given a nice warning message. If someone is accepted within another community with high standards, they're likely to be accepted in others, if they're going to stay (if, if).

I also remember the age of chat room games, but I'm inclined to think it's over. They have Facebook or whatever now. Once upon a time, I played a game called Tactics Arena Online (a turn-based 2d thing like customized Chess with hitpoints). A good number of the players were there for the chat. These days, only one of three servers is in operation, but it's much more hardcore than I remember. And that game hadn't been supported by the developer since about when I started playing.

16. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Yeah, fun in KAG is related (at least for me) to how many people are playing. 10 is good. 10 feels like a great little game. 32 is even better. 32 feels like a proper battle, everyone scurrying about, people yelling for reinforcements on the front, or to block the sappers tunnels, or for the archers to take down their catapult.

48 feels like war. 48 players together feels like all the good parts of war distilled into a game without all that boring stuff (Such as permadeath).

The old 64 player servers were absolute madness, but the engine can't support them stably yet. You'll be able to play for about an hour and then it'll crash.

Unless you guys are a close knit group of friends, I'd recommend advertising this on some of the larger subreddits, but that would still be interested. KAG is a game that's meant to be played with friends.

Edit@ Nerdpride; Reddit is bigger than 4chan now. Strange year 2011 was. I imagine the interest in indie games (that aren't on steam) is similar to that of any other large community. Not huge.

Vivicus and BlueLuigi like this.
  17. Teemo

Teemo T͔̕e͖͚̖̯̩̪͙͝e͡m̖o̤̪͘ Forum Moderator Donator Tester

pfft, an hour is if you were insanely lucky. most of the time past 50 players no one can connect anymore (it opens then ** DISCONNECTED **), sometimes if you have 60 people hammering a server if it goes down, it'll just infinite-loop-crash as 60 people try to connect simultaneously

(i tried a 128 slot once. guess how that worked)

18. Jomskylark

Jomskylark Drill Rusher

Like I said in an earlier post, we have an average of 675+ unique visitors, daily. This just doesn't translate to the focus times sadly. But to be fair, no focus time before has had a backing like this. I have high hopes for tomorrow's event.

19. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

You and me both. It'd be nice to get some more players over the age of 14 in here. Try to post on here what server you'll be in, I'll try my best to play along too (and keep the arguing with idiot players to a minimum)!

20. Jomskylark

Jomskylark Drill Rusher

Just over 30 minutes until the focus time! We've got a server, look for "r/Playdate KAG Server" in the server browser. Right now it's public but that may change, and I will post in the subreddit if there's a password.