1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Overworld and Adventures

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SirSalami, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Shark Slayer

A lot of these ideas seem like some nice stuff as long as it's variable for servers to mess around with.

I personally want to be a 'good' necromancer. Reanimating a dead body is creepy, but I'm just making the dead corpse move again, not bringing anyone back! Besides, it's better that I gain control of the dead than any evil-overlords, and with my army I will obliterate the demons and tyrants from the land! Seriously, a zombie army would be much more effective as the huge, deadly cannon-fodder shielding all your allies.

2. Auri

Auri Tunnel Addict Donator Tester

How are team door/bridge mechanics going to work? Obviously if you're part of a nation or something you'd have the ability to use their door systems...

But what if you're solo or haven't joined a nation yet? Are you able to use personal-doors?

Or, let's say my nation has a town area and I have a little house in there. Would I be able to use Auri-only doors to make a closet or something? I don't know what I'd hide in it though, unless we could make treasure chests too or something.

Also, it'd be neat to have a class that has a "lockpick" ability that would enable them (only) to open enemy doors that they have picked. Or, you know, to engage in general thievery at their own risk.

3. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Ooh, maybe that could justify the creation of keys. You could assign a colour door with a particular key. Everyone could be given this key and keep it in their inventory. The downside is people can get a copy of your key if you're killed, so the enemy can use it to get in. So you'll want to be careful who you give keys to!

UnnamedPlayer likes this.
  4. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

There will be chests and tables, or at least they are already referenced in files.

5. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

ooooooohhhh I like this idea. Much more interesting than just having Team Doors. Plus, if I stalk and kill a random low ranking member of a team, I can break into their base.

I'm not sure how exactly the keys would work though, as far as appearance and stuff. Maybe it would just be that each new type of door gets its own number (starting at 1) and then they make a key for that number. So what would determine who can make a key for a particular number? I would want the outer doors of my fort to have a different key than the inner doors, just for extra security.

6. Auri

Shoot, then I could be a locksmith and make BIG BUCKS.

7. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

Hmm, if I kidnap a prominent locksmith and force him to make keys, I could steal all sorts of stuff...

8. Auri

The other question I have is: How is class-switching going to work? Is it just, I switch weapons wherever I'm at in the world and bam, I go from soldier to healer? Or do I need an outpost-like changing room to change out all that gear too?

If it's the former, how many weapons/etc. can a player hold on to at a time?

9. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

On the subject of keys, surely if you have a key you should be able to make a copy of it? And each individual map could have a seperate numeral key count, allowing a potentially infinite number of keys.

10. Neat

Yeah, how else would you be able to give one to all the people you trust? You would probably need to have a forge for the job though.

11. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

There probably won't just be a "change class instantly" system since you are progressing a single character along a path. From what I understand, it's sort of like an RPG although much more action oriented. So I'd imagine your character will get better at certain things and stuff

Because it would be insanely lame if someone that is a melee oriented class could all of a sudden instantly be a healer when the time arises >.>

Yeah! It actually wouldn't be that difficult to make it so people can put their own typed password on a door, then on a key so that when they walk through the door with the key in their inventory it would automatically open. I've seen it done on other, very low budget games so that's the simplest form it could make.
    Or they could choose to leave it unlocked and open for anyone.

The way it worked on the other game was:
    > You entered a password on the door ie. password123
    > You entered the same password on the key
    > When the key is on you, the door automatically opened for you
    > When you were killed it could be taken and other people could open your doors

UnnamedPlayer and Bracket like this.
  12. I get the key and lock stuff and its a good idea, but if someone was trying to snag your stuff on the other side of the door, they wouldn't just give up at news that they need a key to open it. Personally, I would just break in, as in smashing the stone/wood blocks above it or something like that.

13. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

Eh, but I imagine there will be stone-reinforced superdoors that you can't break with a sword. I wonder how exactly stone-breaking privileges will work. I'm guessing that it'll take a few construction-skill upgrades to be able to build/destroy stone, so there will be a lot of low-level wooden constructions. Someone who plays primarily as a knight wouldn't be able to burrow through a stone fortress, and the front doors might be reinforced with stone or metal.

Even with wooden doors, a key would make sneaking around much easier and faster. If you don't leave any broken doors behind you, you can hide more easily.

14. Neat

Well yeah, they wouldn't give up on hearing they need a key. But having a key is so much more useful, and basically it allows people to define their own groups rather than groups being defined for them by their door colours.

15. Rickeno

Rickeno Shipwright

So, My question is would there be multiple branches of knights and archers or would you be able to buy better weapon and things like that? (maybe both?) as to keys I think it would be a cool idea (: , but maybe make it so lowerlevel players cant lose the key from death, because then the new players would lose a build straight off. which wouldnt be very cool /:
    maybe once you hit a certain level your key can be stolen?

16. ya sort of a like a mercy time period. I'd imagine with the perma-death that you would probably lose the key though...

17. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Personally, I want to scrap the current doors/bridges system when it comes to making adventure mode. Trap blocks can be a part of the mechanism update, one way platforms can be a special type of floor rather than a bridge, and yes, doors would be better with a lock/key system. Doors would likely be by default unlocked, and have to have a lock installed by a locksmith who would define the key shape that can open the lock, and likely make a few keys of that shape to give to friends
    Perhaps there can be a lockpicking minigame for the budding thief with a few spare bobby pins to shape into the correct shape for the lock ;)

Changing classes will actually very likely be a fairly instant thing based on known classes and possessed equipment, but swapping will likely eat a large chunk of your stamina, meaning you'd better have some food on you or be near to your base, or you're going to be unable to perform very many actions. That should keep uberknight-gone-megahealer to a minimum in the same battle. We want to allow players to branch out and learn multiple classes though. We'll see how it plays and make any required changes either way.

As a note, currently there is no plan for a mercy period or anything of the sort. The worlds should be large enough that you shouldn't be able to be simply found and murdered upon spawning reliably. Ganking will always happen, but I don't really mind that. When you die, if you've locked the door on your wilderness hut, you better hope you took note of the key shape you used.

18. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

Well I was thinking on a roleplaying server that after somebody dies it is as though that specific character is totally dead and gone from the world, so players would create a new character and use the New Life Rule (or NLR.)

Which (if any of you've never roleplayed really) means that you will not be able to go and "seek revenge" on the person that killed you, or return to where your items or home might have been and just pick up from there. You play someone new in this world with his own memories and personality, because your old character's ties to the world have been severed permanently and he is nothing but a blip of history and a memory in that world. How big of a blip is determined by your accomplishments.

But yeah I could see how that would work for servers that aren't roleplaying and don't have permadeath.

I don't know how much I like the idea of being able to change class on whim in a persistent progression world where you work to level up. It doesn't sound as fun or make sense that someone that is a stealthy thief can just up and decide he wants to be a buff knight ready to take on hordes of enemies. It would destroy any roleplaying potential, because the point of it is to progress your character specific to that characters design. With his strengths and weaknesses he becomes unique. But I think it would lose that if they could change at any point. Instant class changing without a doubt belongs in CTF and TDM...

But then again maybe I'm just imagining it incorrectly, those are just some thoughts on that.

UnnamedPlayer likes this.
  19. Auri

Also, since signs are already in the game (builder tutorial) one way to deal with notorious gankers is to post wanted signs.

20. Trae

Trae Shopkeep Stealer

I am going to shave some corpses now. :D
    Also, on the note of doors, it sounds exciting, but opens up for a lot of abuse. But i really like the idea that you have to specialize, and not are going to be able to do everything yourself. So if you want to be a locksmith, you have to use time to gain that proficiency, if you want to be a chef, same. So you have to make a tradeoff between combat prowess and noncombat prowess.

I am cautiously skeptic about spawning randomly, might induce quite a lot of bugs, such as spawning in the middle of some persons fortress. I had thought a safe-zone would be in effect in the start, where people could get their footing, and they then could leave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.