1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Planet Centauri

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Asu, Jan 24, 2015.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Well that looks a lot better, they definitely are ambitious with the video, and it being a prototype, yes there is much room to grow.

Maybe you could say it's a symptom of green light, but I don't see the reason to spend all that time so early showcasing a lot of things that don't look good yet.

Hopefully with a mix of fixing a lot of things and adding in modding capabilities (Starbound's is prettttttttty good, honestly they should be looking for something more along those lines than AngelScript IMO [what's possible seems much wider solving some of the issues they might run into with mod interactions in the future, but I haven't done much at all in KAG as I don't understand half of it so... I could be wrong here]) they'll get somewhere.

I am exicited to check on it again in 6 months or so and hopefully see that it's another game to play every now and then for some quick fun.

2. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Thinking I've screenshoted exactly at the bad moment ahah.
    I don't think they've done items positions for all frames. I'd go suggest that.

Afaik the tree randomness will be reworked later, but there are more important issues to solve (bugs)

Not really the time to talk abut the gameplay. It hasn't been worked at all yet and it's really easy to see. I don't think they'll start doing it before beta, since there's a lot of content to add.

Edit :
    Actually AngelScript is more about interactions and stuff (Well, the code part). You pretty much can do anything with it. I think they'll make custom editors for new content.

3. MechaTrickster

MechaTrickster Banned Donator

I'm a tad slow, where can I find the gameplay that makes this more advanced than MC (bold claim, MC has some pretty heavy mods) or Terraria. Cause it just looks like Terraria with a Starbound theme. Honestly what can this game do that you can't mod into Starbound. Games like these usually receive mediocre reception and are no better than what they're imitating.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  4. TheAverageMan

TheAverageMan Shark Slayer
    1. DUCKS - We Love DUCKS

There doesn't really seem to be anything extraordinary gameplay wise about this game (though combat does look way more fluid, instead of just swinging swords in a huge circle) when compared to terraria or starbound, however, I think the art alone makes the game a whole lot better than those other two games (even though it could still be improved).

[​IMG]

Honestly, I think peeps should make judgement after the game comes out, not before. I just hope that they don't have boring terrain generation like starbound or terraria which gets pretty repetitive after a few hours of knowing what the expect. It's all just speculation at this point (though it already looks more interesting than starbound imho).

Terraria has kind of ruined 2d survival games that use pixelart, in the sense that every 2d survival game is now a rip-off

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    Asu likes this.
  5. Asu

Yeah, the basics are pretty much similar to other games. But there are already things called "skills", such as "thurst" (precise jab), "dash" (quick retreat for example), also magic stuff (didn't look into it a lot, but you'll be able to custom magic)
    About the graphics, I really love the animations (A slime jumping looks extremely fluid ingame). It still will need some work tho.

Yup. Even though the next prototype release will feature a better world generation, I'm not really sure if it'll be really different.

^ Dat. It's so damn true. Minecraft fanboys are crying against Terraria for copying and Terraria fanboys are crying against Minecraft for the same reason. On every single minecraft 2d clone (or mod), you'll see "lol terraria dis sux".

EhRa likes this.
  6. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

It's their fault for thinking that making a 2D survival game means copying Terraria's template. You mine shit, you craft shit, you whack more monotonous shit.

thebonesauce likes this.
  7. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Exactly the point I was trying to make. Some of the graphics look pretty nice, the combat looks (halfway) decent, and the mobs and such are interesting at least... But you honestly can't sit there and say that it DOESN'T resemble Terraria and Starbound. In fact, PC looks almost EXACTLY like Starbound.

Also, I could be wrong, but the game DEFINITELY involves crafting. How else would you get materials/weapons/etc? I mean, the trailer shows dude building a house, and had you not told me it was a different game, I would easily assume that it WAS Terraria/Starbound.

@AsuMagic I'll say it again dude... It's nice to be optimistic about things, but you can't sit there and deny that this just looks like a cheap knock off. Blind fanboyish behavior is annoying enough, but it's even more annoying when you try to convince people that the flaws aren't really flaws. Criticism is an important part of a developmental process, but what you're doing is the internet equivalent to putting your fingers in your ears and screaming, "LALALALALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALALALA!"

e: Also, I believe you're the only one raging sir. All I'm doing is giving my humble opinion. Had KAG resembled yet another dime-a-dozen 2D sandbox title, I would absolutely tell Geti and MM that it looks like a knockoff. It's completely uninspired and not very original, and considering the fact that it has almost the EXACT SAME PREMISE as Starbound, I don't think dude really deserves much credit for this, "prototype."

I'm all for more games, and I do hope this one kinda breaks the mold a bit and does something different from craft and survive. However, judging by trailers and gameplay videos I've seen, had I not seen any sort of titles or anything, I would seriously assume it was Starbound.

Just sayin.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  8. Asu

I think you've never played spelunker or games like that.

9. blackjoker77777

blackjoker77777 Haxor Tester
    1. Zen Laboratories

yeah actually I loved that game ! Spelunky is an awesome game man!

10. Asu

"spelunker". It's a way older game about digging and shit.

11. blackjoker77777

blackjoker77777 Haxor Tester
    1. Zen Laboratories

wtf I was off topic from the beginning ?! :ehh:
    but I still think Spelunky is a great game too :rektlord:
    edit: after searching a bit on the net I remembered the game you were talking about (I played it a lot when I was a child but I didn't know it's name ::P: )

12. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

...what the fuck does Spelunker have to do with this game? Seriously?

BlueLuigi and TheAverageMan like this.
  13. Asu

There are pixels and you can dig! It's all copied up.

The game is utterly dead at the moment
    and next updates are really going to be bad, up with copied stuff.
    Out of the sarcasm a lot of new stuff is coming up soon, I'm especially talking about magic.
    For a prototype, it's really some high-quality content (animations are of great quality, you must admit, the game is running quite fast even the dev didn't add VBOs yet, loads of bugs were fixed already and I can't seem to find a lot of those, unlike minecraft, the dev's engine is coming up great (onilib), etc.). KAG in alpha would never equal this up, and now it's a great game imo, so this is why I'm so hyped about Planet Centauri.
    Fanboyism sometimes is good. c:

Mods: BlueLuigi