1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Plans for This Week and Next - Big Modding Example!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DevBlogger, Mar 18, 2014.

1. DevBlogger

DevBlogger KAG DevBlog Feed Bot

Hey guys!

For the next two weeks we’re going to make a mod for KAG to demonstrate a ground-up total gameplay conversion of the game, and provide examples of how we’d accomplish various things in the engine.

The game we have in mind is a multi-teamed top down ship building game, with a sprinkling of tetris. Each team starts with a “core” that spawns random blocks for building with - these blocks need to be hooked together to protect the hull and provide offensive capabilities to your ship.

Some planned possible configurations include torpedoes, detachable raiding ships, and scrap melee machines. The limit of these configurations will be luck of the parts-draw and your imagination!

[​IMG]
    Mockup: torpedo hurtles towards an unprepared team.

There will be no direct player-to-player combat, no classes and no swimming - if you’re in the water you’ll either need to be picked up by a nearby boat or will swiftly drown, and if you make onto an enemy ship you’ll need to use their guns or bombs to do any damage (or take their controls and crash them into something). We think this will provide a unique form of versus play, and involve a lot of strategy.

Perhaps more importantly, over the next few weeks we’ll be forced to fix any bugs that get in the way of us accomplishing this goal, which will mean an easier time for modders down the road!

We’ll be keeping you posted with frequent updates and pictures :^)

Have Fun!

Max/Geti

Original DevBlog post.

2. hugio88

hugio88 I am the king of KAG! Donator

Looks fucking awesome!:thumbs_up:

3. Sir_Walter

Sir_Walter Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

Wow, looks great! I want to play it already :P

4. Frederikam

Frederikam Drill Rusher

This is great. Be sure to do a lot of //comments!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    Geti likes this.
  5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

//Comments in AS + other C like languages, haha

However we definitely are making sure to comment it - it's going to be very quick work so not "clean", but should provide lots of good examples of working, real world game code for a working game in the KAG engine.

6. Really excited about the new KAG engine!

7. Nivlac_13

Nivlac_13 Shopkeep Stealer

Admiral Arthur's Gold!

crackwise and Noburu like this.
  8. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

JEEPJEEP 2.0!

[​IMG]

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  9. Inferdy

Inferdy Arsonist

I am gonna luv this game.
    You guys fixing bugs, and I see it - it's cool.
    And this update will be f***in* awesome...
    I hate BF 4... Cause it is shit with bugs...
    But KAG gonna be great epic game >:}

NinjaCell likes this.
  10. You gave people boulders and trampolines, and they make a cannon.
    I'm anxious to see what they can do with this.

FuzzyBlueBaron, Sir_Walter and Joiken like this.
  11. BanakaI1

BanakaI1 Shipwright

There better be some servers up when this comes out

12. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

13. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

OMG get some more mockups and launch a project at kickstarter, you'll get rich!

"Dem pirates!" is a top-down ship fighting simulator that grabs mechanichs from classic table games, complex ship building and real-time fleet management. Your skills for managing a crew, building dem boatz and making hostile units explode will make you victorious among all them swashbucklers!

MM likes this.
  14. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Hah, I remember asking you about some help in making something similar to this... but in the end was too scared to actually make it... xD
    I wonder if you actually took the idea or not :o (Not saying you stole it, I was thinking of making a modded server like this but didn't have the time or the patience to do so ;w;)

15. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@Sirpixelot link/logs? I talk with a lot of people about a lot of things, few of them make it into long term store, haha.

For those wondering about direct inspirations:
    • Tetris
    • Gimbal
    • Fraxy
    • Asteroids
    • Arkanoid
    • Left (lol)
    We're not sure where we're going with the name yet. A few that have been tossed around include "Shiptris" and "Bomb Voyage". I've got a feeling the latter has been done 100x before, haha. MM feels the former will be discarded as "tetris spinoff cancer".

Haha, maybe if the mod is particularly popular we'll do a standalone but I don't know what we'd need to add to it. So far we have

We'll host an official server for at least 1 month in US and EU, maybe in JP too if the box there has resources for it.

16. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

@Geti Will this have any sort of offline singleplayer mode?

17. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

@Geti
    I just revived that Necro'd conversation we had like... 2 months ago. It kinda seemed like it was sorta similar to my idea, that's why I'm asking. No hard feelings. :3

Mind you, it's not the same exact idea. But it has a similar game plot as the one you devs are making.

18. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Will it have kiwi torpedoes?

Noburu likes this.
  19. Nivlac_13

Nivlac_13 Shopkeep Stealer

Those are indeed horrible names.
    Admiral Arthur's Gold.png

Joiken likes this.
  20. Geti

None official, though running a local sandbox for trying out designs might work.

Only the finest.

Oh, that. Nah that's actually been asked a few times separately though it seems noone has implemented it. This is more a top-down thing and isn't "socket" connection based at all. It's by no means a particularly original idea either way; but we think it'll work out pretty fun.

Sir_Walter, FuzzyBlueBaron and Noburu like this.