1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Player queue

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Vermilicious, Aug 7, 2013.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

It's a hassle having to refresh the whole server list when waiting for free player slots. I suggest adding a queue.

:D

icemusher, swagbot, abels and 10 others like this.
  2. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

This really isn't needed yet, since there pretty much always are servers with spare slots which you could just join. I mean, alpha usually has up to ten or maybe 15 populated servers (out of over 80 available ones). Beta probably has enough servers too.

3. Boxpipe

Boxpipe single, female, lawyer

I agree with OP. I would like to see a queue system as well or at least a quick refresh option so I don't need to reload the entire browser again.

BlueLuigi and Kalikst like this.
  4. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

I think it's a good idea seeing how certain players stick to only one server and if you are friends with them or the server simply has good players but is always full an option to auto-retry or queue would be great. Optionally a separate window to show current players on server by nickname, Steam has this I believe when you right click on server and click on show info unless once KAG becomes released on steam then it might be possible.

swagbot and BlueLuigi like this.
  5. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

There is a refresh button on the bottom, isn't there?
    [​IMG]
    Do you mean a button that only refreshes one specific server?
    If you're looking for specific friends, you can type their name into the search, and it will show you what server they are in (if online). Otherwise, there are still a few options:
    • Make a list of friends using the signature script thing (Cons: Takes a while to set up)
    • Download an app like KStalk to keep track of others (Cons: Need to download)
    • View all servers and add buddies via Garanis's Server Browser (Cons: Doesn't tell what server they're in)
    All in all, I don't believe this feature is going to be necessary.

6. Leak: in-game feature of friends 'n stuff will be added eventually at some point to KAG Beta. There are just more important things to do at the moment.

But yes, I agree that player queue would be much more than welcomed addition.

>tfw you join server and it's already full and instead of staying at server lobby it redirects you to the main menu

[​IMG]

7. link6155

link6155 Haxor Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

You can use this: http://kag.ques.to/

This has a feature that will let you "pounce" on to the server as soon as there is a slot open

BlueLuigi likes this.
  8. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

I'd actually really like a queue button. It's better than refreshing every minute and potentially getting your server browser shut, at least.

It would also be nice if, when joining an empty server you would at first be greeted with a lobby where you can basically afk until X amount of players have joined and the game will start, playing some sort of an alarming sound. There should of course be a way to skip the lobby, which could just be a button within the lobby interface.

I think it would partly fix the issue of people opening the server browser and going "doh, two servers full the rest are empty, better check again tomorrow", since they could just join a lobby and do other stuff while waiting for a game.

9. Boxpipe

Boxpipe single, female, lawyer

Someone in this thread has never played source games and doesn't realize how god-tier their server browser is and how needed the quick refresh and queue system is needed.

There is a difference between quick refresh and normal refresh, hence why I asked for it. The normal refresh clears all current servers listed and fetches all the servers available to join and that meet the specified filters. Quick refresh updates all the servers already listed so we can see the most up-to-date player count, map and ping of the currently listed servers without going through the worlds longest server refresh.

Think about it, could you imagine no quick refresh for team fortress 2? Any time I wanted to see the updated info on all the X styled servers I had to click the refresh button and re-populate a couple thousand servers? Relying on only a refresh button for the browser works now because KAG doesn't have too many servers. When it hits steam, how many people are going to join and how many servers do you think KAG will have?

Bad and/or unintuitive interfaces can turn people away or break games.

10. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

The queue and the quick refresh would be indeed sweet features.
    While there are outside tools that have that functionality, most of players just start the game and play.
    User experience should be as simple and smooth as possible.

swagbot, Duplolas and Kalikst like this.
  11. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

That site would be great if it could be advertised on the forum home page.

As for including something like it in-game, it would be even better.

12. Pizza

Pizza Ballista Bolt Thrower

And up this thread goes. Wanted to suggest this, but I'll post here as the rules say so.

[​IMG]

This is just annoying, it happens on peak times. I only play on certain servers (Due ping, gamemode, or just having shit connection on servers even though the ping's okay. God knows why.) Refreshing all the time, and then when a spot opens up you're too late. It sucks, it doesn't seem to be the best option.

How hard can a queue be to add? Not too hard right? (Honestly, I don't know shit of this)

:heart:

swagbot, Verzuvius and Dargona1018 like this.
  13. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

Tried to join a server but it was full so I spammed the reconnect button (the blue curved arrow). Suddenly, KAG crashes and everything crashes, EVERYTHING (such rage).

And worst of all, I have to restart the computer with a sad face. A SAD FACE! LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE!

[​IMG]

14. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Simple as hell.

blackjoker77777 likes this.
  15. Pizza

Then why wouldn't this game have a basic thing like that? The way it currently goes isn't very convenient. ::(:

16. Asu

Ask devs?
    It's may be to fill a bit smaller servers.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    Pizza likes this.
  17. Pizza

The problem is, there is like 2 crowded ctf/tth servers at a time, and I do not like being forced to play TDM, or joining an empty server hoping somebody will join me. Queue seems like a basic need in online games to me, but that could be just me.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    Dargona1018, Asu, Verzuvius and 2 others like this.
  18. Asu

That was not my opinion though :p
    I think devs should add queues with by default 4 player size, and server admins could handle that.

Pizza likes this.
  19. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

But then you'll have to get a queue for the queue, won't you?

Blue_Tiger likes this.
  20. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

I never though about KAG having lobbies mainly because games that do have trolls who never press the ready button.

But it might be nice, especially for clan wars, and so everyone is truly ready, and also you can discuss strats with your team so you aren't just slapped into battle, also you can wait until x amount of players join.

But, there should be the option to kick someone who hasn't pressed ready yet
    seriously those games suck because you have to wait forever.

I like the idea of queues though, but i usually just go to 2nd or 3rd server with the most players, and those servers usually aren't filled, though it would be a nice edition if your playing with friends then again having the edition of parties would enable players to play with friends more effeciently

@Geti

Mods: Rainbows